Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strategies to keep beginners

Re: Strategies to keep beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I'm not complaining about beginners, or them getting in for free. I'm saying that the organiser should, just occasionally, recognise the work his regulars do dancing with beginners and patiently showing them how to dance. Free entry once in a while, a drink, an ice-cream: or even just a "thank-you"
    I think at least one set of organisers charges less if you turn up and help dance with the beginners at the beginners' class, than if you just turn up for the intermediates.

SpinDr.

On my very first MJ night (Ceroc Cheltenham), I didn't ask anyone to dance, and the only offer of a freestyle dance was from the person who'd invited me along. Personally I was happy at that - I was guaging the surroundings, looking at the dancers, and getting comfortable. I wasn't hanging round the edge of the dancefloor, so I wasn't surprised not to get any offers.

By my second night (Malvern), I was ready to start asking folks, and there was freestyle within the classes, which was nice.

Is this atypical?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I agree that free entrance to beginners is a good idea, but eight?? .......To me, eight seems to put the venue in a "desperate" light
    Ettiquette prevents me from commenting ... after all, it might be said that I now run a competing event ...... and I dont have to give away free entry to my freestyles

Confucious he say " You get what you pay for"

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Isn't that another thread?
    nah, I think he's referring to this
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I started, I did a lot of beginner classes and a workshop. I am quite an experienced dancer, but I still felt very uncomfortable, for several weeks, when I progressed to intermediate classes.
    I think beginners should be strongle encouraged to master all the basic moves before progressing to intermediate.
    I would think that a lot of people are put off by this, and it must be hard, demeaning to go back to beginners classes when you have tried and failed miserably at intermediate.
    Or perhaps I'm just a slow learner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Just found out that our local Ceroc club is giving away eight weeks of free entry to new members (as well as making their next freestyle free ). Is this a national Ceroc campaign? ...
    Not national.
    Could be a brilliant experiment. Beginners tend to be the best recruits, and it is easier to recruit for a low cost evening. (there are always associated costs for an evening out) This could be the way to grow a venue at the maximum rate possible, at minimum cost.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    I think at least one set of organisers charges less if you turn up and help dance with the beginners at the beginners' class, than if you just turn up for the intermediates.
    ...I suppose the above is a kind of less formalised taxi dancing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    However, my point remains - it's your choice to act like a TD with the beginners, so I don't see how the organiser somehow has a moral obligation to accord you a version of the privileges s/he accords to the actual taxis.

Chris

Does that mean Taxi Dancer or is it an abbreviation of another word beginning with 'T' and ending with 'D'.....

............sorry Andy, couldn't resist it!!!!

Good thread this Gus. But I do have one problem with it. Is it just me or are beginners getting a bit of a bad rep here? I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that and I'm not trying to be offensive in any way to anyone, but the way some folk speak of beginners, you'd think they were second class citizens....and they're 100% NOT!!

One thing I've found out recently is that dancing with beginners has without doubt improved my own dancing and along the way, had the knock on effect of meeting loads of fantastic new people. Like most things, miracles don't happen over night, and so, if you have a beginner that doesn't 'get-it' as quick as the next one, they may require a wee-bit more attention..... and that in my opinion shouldn't be looked upon as being a hastle, more of a compliment that they're asking you for help in the first place and not mr or mrs X....

All the beginners I've had contact with recently, bar none have been fantastic, and each one for different reasons, enthusiasm, fun, keeness to learn etc etc....if I could bottle that and sell it, I'd be minted!!

So, after all that, if it takes a few free lessons to keep these great dancers of tomorrow, then so be it............... and they'll probably bring their pals as well

It's an old and well used saying but ..... we really were all beginners once.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    Does that mean Taxi Dancer or is it an abbreviation of another word beginning with 'T' and ending with 'D'.....

Is this my week for being misunderstood?

I think beginners are important. On any night I probably dance with the beginners more than most of the taxis. BUT, I think that an organiser who seems to be giving so much away to beginners and nothing to his experienced dancers has missed something very important - to reward loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    nah, I think he's referring to this
    Good god woman ... where did you get that photo from?? That was taken back in 1999 at our (short lived) Congleton venue .... happy days. My demo on the photo is still a Ceroc crew member I think and still of lovely dancer.

Not sure what its got to do with the discussion through. Think the point I was making that we are (for a while) using a fully qualified Instructor to support the Taxi dancers during the beginners revision session ... dont know many (any?) clubs that do this. Its a bit of a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' but I'm hoping it pays dividends

Commercial Operator

Good thread this Gus. But I do have one problem with it. Is it just me or are beginners getting a bit of a bad rep here? I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that and I'm not trying to be offensive in any way to anyone, but the way some folk speak of beginners, you'd think they were second class citizens....and they're 100% NOT!!

All the beginners I've had contact with recently, bar none have been fantastic, and each one for different reasons, enthusiasm, fun, keeness to learn etc etc....if I could bottle that and sell it, I'd be minted!!

It's an old and well used saying but ..... we really were all beginners once.

Bill and Becks make a point that we should dance with all new members and i agree that they are second to none in importance as these are the dancers that in the future will make or break our venues.

When were you a beginner you just seemed to appear

... Is it just me or are beginners getting a bit of a bad rep here? I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that and I'm not trying to be offensive in any way to anyone, but the way some folk speak of beginners, you'd think they were second class citizens....and they're 100% NOT!!
    Agree totally with you ... some clubs see beginners at best as cash or, at worst, an inconvenience .. as to some club members. In reality they are what keeps clubs going and are the future dance partners for those who initially try to avoid them.

One thing I've found out recently is that dancing with beginners has without doubt improved my own dancing
    Sorry, on this point I have to say that my experiences have been very different. A fair percentage of beginners will end up backleading, pulling me the wrong way, requiring me to have to continually compensate and loose my dancing rhythm. I enjoy the teaching but for the most part I have to be honest and say I don’t always enjoy the dancing itself.

Good god woman ... where did you get that photo from?? :blush
    I found it, the other day, on a site which contains many dancer's bios not updated since 2001
    Not sure what its got to do with the discussion through. Think the point I was making that we are (for a while) using a fully qualified Instructor to support the Taxi dancers during the beginners revision session ... dont know many (any?) clubs that do this. Its a bit of a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' but I'm hoping it pays dividends
    Well..you didn't make it clear, I actually thought you meant that the *teacher* was a qualified instructor...you

...besides...I just needed an excuse to post the pic!!

The Oracle

As a leader, I generally find beginners aren't that dangerous to dance with. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some intermediates. They don't shake their hand. They don't take huge steps and expect you to catch them. They don't suddenly go into drops. At worst they might grip your hand, and I can get out of this. And they are still impressed by First Moves & Yoyos!

(It might be completely different for beginner men/experienced ladies.)

I'm full of admiration for people like Andy & Marc who seem to dance with everyone. I don't have the energy.

David

Personally I was happy at that - I was guaging the surroundings,
    For those of you who have not been to Cheltenham, the surroundings are indeed stunning

I was also blown away by my first trip, and yes the only person to ask me to dance was the person I went with

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    And it costs £7 to get into some of our local Ceroc venues ~SNIP~ How will the regulars that pay £6 or £7 a night feel ...?
    Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    Why pay £6 or £7, we at CerocMetro offer it for £5.
    From Ceroc Metro's home page:
    Ceroc is:
    ~SNIP~Cheap: where else can you go out for an evening for £7?
    So what does a regular weekday class cost at Ceroc Metro then?
    Is £5 a special rate for beginners? Or is the £7 mentioned on the home page the normal cost of a freestyle night rather than a weekday class?

(Or have I missed something obvious here?)
    Love dance, will travel

It must be hard, demeaning to go back to beginners classes when you have tried and failed miserably at intermediate.
    I did this once, as there was a shortage of intermediate guys. I didn't feel demeaned by failing miserably, and the people I danced with were very understanding. I actually felt I learnt a lot, because it was so challenging - would have been demoralising if I'd have kept trying, but with just the one attempt, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I did this once, as there was a shortage of intermediate guys. I didn't feel demeaned by failing miserably, and the people I danced with were very understanding. I actually felt I learnt a lot, because it was so challenging - would have been demoralising if I'd have kept trying, but with just the one attempt, I enjoyed it.

Good for you!

It's not at all demeaning to have a go at something, decide you're not ready for it, and drop back a level for a while.

There are no hard and fast rules in this, you know. There are a number of beginners where I taxi who are on the borderline of whether they'd benefit more from continuing with the beginners/beginners review classes or doing the occasional intermediate class. Sometimes they ask me if they're ready to move up, and if I think they could, I just say to have a go at the class, and if they find it too hard, drop out and come back to the beginners.

I think the point is to make it all no big deal at all, keep everything very relaxed.

Unfortunately, it's only the ones who are sensitive to their own level that ask in the first place. There plenty of beginners that really shouldn't try the intermediates yet, but insist on doing so and never master the basics

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    : There plenty of beginners that really shouldn't try the intermediates yet, but insist on doing so and never master the basics

Chris
    Thats what I was trying to say. U put it better than me.
    I've seen beginners doing the intermediate class at their first night of mj. Of course there are some dancers who can do this, but I've come across some pretty clueless dancers also.

"Compare that with Straight to Number One (original mix), which we were made to dance to last weekend at the LeRoc 2000 Modern Jive competition (final, Open section) - which is 188bpm. Now, that was fast

Trampy"

Here's an idea.
    play a few tracks at 180bpm

Thread Information