View Poll Results: Which shoes do you prefer?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black & white Co-respondent/Oxfords Lace-ups

1 4.76%
  • Black Oxfords/Brogues (or similar)

2 9.52%
  • Dance Sneakers

5 23.81%
  • Ballroom/Latin shoes/sandals

0 0%
  • Jazz shoes (flats)

2 9.52%
  • Low heel “Character” shoes

1 4.76%
  • 1-2 inch heel dance shoes

5 23.81%
  • 2.5+ inch heel dance shoes

3 14.29%
  • Regular (not dance specific) shoes

3 14.29%
  • Other!

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Poll - Shoes for Ladies

Blog Entries

Fun Poll - Shoes for Ladies

I was inspired by Gadget's question about shoes. I've found that I can only seem to dance LeRoc to a "reasonable" standard in one type of shoe - my lace-up Oxfords. I've tried in others: Ballroom, Salsa, etc., but I always feel uncomfortable or unstable.

I was just wondering what you other Lasses wear? Especially anyone who can manage to spin in Dance Sneakers - how do you do it?

I wear the character-type dance shoes - which I had to buy as a bit of an emergency one Camber when the heel snapped off my usual shoes. Up til then, I'd just worn regular heeled shoes for Ceroc, and can't say I notice much difference (except price!).

I'll also wear my flat jazz shoes for workshops or when a dance floor is really slippery, but like to have some height with a heel - especially since, being so small, most men tower over me.

I have to say, though, I definitely notice a difference in my dancing when I'm wearing jazz shoes - much more bendy and bouncy - but there's something that just doesn't feel quite right when I'm that low.

I've wondered the same as you about the dance sneakers - they look brilliant but I'm not sure I could wear them for a couple of reasons - partly because they only look right with trousers and I never wear trousers to Ceroc (cos I've never found any comfortable and cool enough - or ones that don't make my bum look huge!!). And partly cos I was worried about not being able to spin in them. I'd love to know if any ladies find them good for spinning??

My partner's got the dance sneakers with the spin spot and swears by them - and his spins are pretty amazing for a guy. I'm really not sure what difference that spin spot can make, though -is it just a marketing ploy, or does it really work?
    Rachel

Originally posted by Rachel
    I've wondered the same as you about the dance sneakers - they look brilliant but I'm not sure I could wear them for a couple of reasons - partly because they only look right with trousers and I never wear trousers to Ceroc (cos I've never found any comfortable and cool enough - or ones that don't make my bum look huge!!).
    That's another good discussion Rachel - what to wear on your feet when you HAVE to wear a skirt because you don't look good in trousers.

I need to wear heels in an attempt to make my legs look even half decent but heels aren't that comfy. I'd like nice dance shoes with a heel (and without a cross bar because they are terrible for plump ankles).

I know I won't be dancing at midnight on Sunday at the champs because my feet won't be able to take the pace of the day - just call me Cinderella!

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    I love my dance sneakers, they give me very happy feet. I can spin just fine in them, they have a spin spot, though frankly I'm not convinced it makes a difference to the spinnyness of them - it's the smooth sole that does that. I regularly wear them with a skirt and think they look fine...though it depends on the skirt I guess. I did wear them with a slinky black dress the other day and think it probably looked a little incongruous, but it was well into the evening and my feet were killing me.... I get to the point where I'd rather dance comfortably than cripple myself. (Still got blisters from a wedding I went to the other week - ouch!!)

I have another pair of sance shoes - Bleyer 'swivel' which have a wedge heel and are almost as comfortable as the sneakers. They have suede soles and have now got so slippery (despite all the brushing etc) I need to have them re-soled to avoid dancefloor wipeout.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Trainers or sneakers?

Well I swear by my trainers - I have two pairs, one fabric and one leather. They both have the spin spot and to be honest I haven't tried any that don't. I spin well in them (hope that doesn't sound too big headed!) - easily as well as in my shoes and I do think they give me more grip if the floor is particularly slippy. They are superbly comfy and because they have a split sole it feels as if you have a heel on. I wear them whenever I go to workshops and I can dance all day and still not have sore feet. They give you extra bounce as well (only in your feet though! ) as the sole is thicker than normal dance shoes. The only problem with them - otherwise I would never have them off my feet - is that you can't wear them with most skirts and dresses. I wear trousers a lot more often than I used to now but it's not a huge problem for me - I like trousers too

I have a pair of character shoes which have a padded insole, leather sole and a cuban type heel. I usually wear them when I want to wear a skirt but they have the bar across the front and I do feel that it's like wearing your school shoes. They are comfortable too but I haven't danced wearing them all day and all night and if you don't have tights on the dye comes off on your feet when you get hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in the process of getting a brogue type shoe (with a cuban heel again) but with a lace up front - don't know how this will look with a slinky frock though

When I'm in a totally glittery mood (happens quite often I'm afraid:sorry ) I have gold sparkly ballroom shoes. They have the suede type sole and a small heel which is thinner than the cuban one. They are great for spinning in too and look much more dressy - only thing is they have open toes - not always a good idea on a crowded dance floor

I will most definitely be dancing right up until the last record on Saturday and Sunday - make the most of it Veela, you can nurse your feet on Monday when you get home.
    Hope to see you there and please come and introduce yourself. I'll be amongst the MAD Dundee lot - just look at everyone's feet and you'll figure out which one I am

Re: Trainers or sneakers?

Originally posted by Sheena

I will most definitely be dancing right up until the last record on Saturday and Sunday - make the most of it Veela, you can nurse your feet on Monday when you get home.
    Hope to see you there and please come and introduce yourself. I'll be amongst the MAD Dundee lot - just look at everyone's feet and you'll figure out which one I am
    Sheena I will make a point of introducing myself to the Dundee crowd - see the new thread - how will we know where to find the Dundee Crowd other than watching your team event?????

Re: Trainers or sneakers?

Well I swear by my trainers - I have two pairs, one fabric and one leather. They both have the spin spot and to be honest I haven't tried any that don't. I spin well in them (hope that doesn't sound too big headed!) - easily as well as in my shoes and I do think they give me more grip if the floor is particularly slippy. They are superbly comfy and because they have a split sole it feels as if you have a heel on.
    I WANT YOUR SHOES SHEENA!

My feet are a constant problem, even the shoe websites have given up on me!

HELP!

Sandy

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Trainers or sneakers?

Originally posted by Dancing Veela

how will we know where to find the Dundee Crowd other than watching your team event?????
    Well - I hate to say it but I think you'll just KNOW - We'll no doubt have the madest table (or 6) in the whole place. I'll try and get a banner made so you all know where we are. Hopefully when the music starts we'll not be anywhere near any table
    If in doubt look for Gus' flashy trousers - he's an honorary Dundonian now according to FC

Re: Fun Poll - Shoes for Ladies

Originally posted by Lou
    I've found that I can only seem to dance LeRoc to a "reasonable" standard in one type of shoe - my lace-up Oxfords. I've tried in others: Ballroom, Salsa, etc., but I always feel uncomfortable or unstable.
    If I am dancing modern jive or swing, my personal preference is for close-fitting (lace-up or bar) shoes with 1"-2" heels and suede soles. As I am fastidious about technique, I prefer shoes with a moderate heel ie. 1"-2" because they help to project your weight slightly forwards, enabling a more natural toe-in action. I find that when I wear flat shoes, I get lazy and tend to dance with heel leads. However, the majority of people who dance modern jive do not worry about technique or do not necessarily consider heel leads to be a bad thing, hence I do stress that heels are a personal preference for me.

I also find that suede soles provide sufficiently good grip for most of the dance floors I have been on, but I do have to brush them frequently to get rid of the accumulated muck. If the floor is extremely slippery, then I have to resort to rubber-soled jazz shoes which I don't particularly like.

Originally posted by Lou
    I was just wondering what you other Lasses wear? Especially anyone who can manage to spin in Dance Sneakers - how do you do it?
    I realise that dance sneakers are a god-sent for slippery floors (and tired feet!) but I'm afraid I do not wear them as I do not like the look. David swears by them, as do many men, but then they don't have to worry about their feet looking good, do they?!!! As for spinning - I am a total loss anyway, never mind what shoes I have on. You could put me on a turntable and I still won't be able to spin without keeling over! :sorry

LilyB

Re: Re: Re: Trainers or sneakers?

If in doubt look for Gus' flashy trousers - he's an honorary Dundonian now according to FC
    With our reputation??? Hell i'm sure he's chuffed to bits at hearing that!
    Mind you he is slightly MAd. A few more training sessions and he'll fit right in

filthycute x x

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trainers or sneakers?

Originally posted by filthycute

Mind you he is slightly MAd. A few more training sessions and he'll fit right in

filthycute x x
    Who needs any more training .... I still have visions of me trying to demo a right handed archie spin on those creaking tables, with my shoes sticking to the surface and nearly leaving my kneecaps behind......

Think I just about qualify! And it would be an honour to be awarded membership of this most august body of MAd dancers!

Dance Shoes!

As anyone who knows me will testify, I LOVE shoes , they are a passion of mine, my ex used to fight with me about the amount of shoes I had and called me Imelda! Needless to say, I just went out and bought a new pair of shoes every time we had an altercation, I have over 100 pairs of shoes ( a stormy relationship - no wonder we split up!!!!! LOL!!!!)
    Although I love shoes, they must be comfortable, and since starting Ceroc a couple of years ago, I have begun a quest for the ultimate comfortable dancing shoe!
    I have a Black Gamba character style shoes (very comfy), black Bleyer Suzi Q's ( comfy but a bit loose), Gandalfi Brogues ( I expected them to have padded insoles but they didn't),even a handmade gold leather pair from Freed but THE most comfortable shoes I have are Bleyer Swivel. I don't know of anyone else who wears them ( although I notice that Emma has a pair) , but I swear by them. I am now getting to the stage that I need replacement pair as mine are falling apart and are a bit whiffy!!
    Someone suggested I put them through the washing machine on the delicate cycle but I'm a bit reluctant . Has anyone tried this??

Heather

Re: Dance Shoes!

Originally posted by Heather
    THE most comfortable shoes I have are Bleyer Swivel.
    Yay!! I love those shoes. . I too have a *small* but perfectly formed shoe obsession... Haven't managed to wear them to the stinky stage but..er..did feel forced to buy myself a second pair (black) cos the first (red) were so good. Not sure about the soles on the black ones..which have you got? (obsessive? Meee??)

Re: Re: Dance Shoes!

Originally posted by Emma

Yay!! I love those shoes. . I too have a *small* but perfectly formed shoe obsession... (obsessive? Meee??)

This is the same woman who "had to accompany" me to buy my first pair of dancing shoes "just incase" i needed some help!!!
    Now that ISSSSSS a shoe obsession!!!!!

but thanks Em for your help I love my new shoes!!!

Re: Re: Re: Dance Shoes!

Originally posted by claire

Now that ISSSSSS a shoe obsession!!!!!

Nah, that's strong-arming someone out of trainers ..hey, once a teacher always a teacher..I know what's best!!

Blog Entries

As anyone who knows me will testify, I LOVE shoes , they are a passion of mine, my ex used to fight with me about the amount of shoes I had and called me Imelda!
    Yup, my Mum always calls me Imelda, too.
    Someone suggested I put them through the washing machine on the delicate cycle but I'm a bit reluctant . Has anyone tried this??
    I've done it on several occasions with particularly whiffy trainers & they've survived OK. I haven't tried it with anything more fragile or precious, though.

I need replacement pair as mine are falling apart and are a bit whiffy!!

Heather
    I got a powder from the chemists for my smelly dance shoes. I wore then without any socks and it got to the stage where i couldn't remove my shoes in public for fear of wiping out the ceroc class!!
    It's made by Odour Eaters and it's called Nite Odour. It's in a little orange shaker.
    You douse your shoes in it over night then shake it out in the morning. I used to just leave it in my shoes until i was next dancing. It takes a few times to work if your shoes are bad but it does work. HTH

filthycute x x

Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    - what to wear on your feet when you HAVE to wear a skirt because you don't look good in trousers.

I need to wear heels in an attempt to make my legs look even half decent but heels aren't that comfy. I'd like nice dance shoes with a heel (and without a cross bar because they are terrible for plump ankles).
    I've just been looking at shoe pictures ... and the Bleyer swivel shoes that people are talking about look so good. They'd look great with a skirt, and look really comfortable as well.

There are also some interesting looking shoes on the Tootsies website - don't know if you've seen them? Funky lace-up shoes with heels ... I like the look of the Lady Godiva ones which are kind of open, but laced, all the way up the front - I reckon they'd look good with a skirt and be pretty flattering for the legs:

http://www.tootsies.aweserv.com/claspics/ladygodiva.jpg
    http://www.tootsies.aweserv.com/newpics/otoxford.htm

Rachel

Originally posted by Rachel

I've just been looking at shoe pictures ... and the Bleyer swivel shoes that people are talking about look so good. They'd look great with a skirt, and look really comfortable as well.

http://www.tootsies.aweserv.com/claspics/ladygodiva.jpg
    http://www.tootsies.aweserv.com/newpics/otoxford.htm

Rachel
    Thanks Rachel - I'll go have a look

I've tried two types of dance shoes - 2 inch heel and 1 inch cuban heel both of which have leather soles. Despite trying to persevere with them several times I always end up changing into my dance trainers which I find are definitely better for spinning - suppose it depends on what you are used to.

Thread Information