Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Big Love Show

Blog Entries

The Big Love Show

I wanted to post something about this show even though it has now been and gone

So here it is - part explanation, part thanks and part apologies....

Around 60 dancers agreed to take part in the show which was to be the opening night cabaret for Beach Boogie. So we turned up eager for action on the Isle of Wight last Wednesday night, not really knowing what was in store for us. The whole show was choreographed and rehearsed from scratch between Thursday morning and the performance on Saturday night - a truly awesome achievement. The intensity of the experience (including rehearsals after tea on Thursday and Friday evenings from 9.30 to 11pm) had us referring to it as Beach Boot Camp! I seem to remember Peter telling me on Friday evening that he reckoned his group had each done around 180 aerial moves that day

We think we might have made history - the first show ever to include hip hop (Adam & Tas's group), modern jive (Nigel & Nina's group), tango (Amir's group) and lindy (Andy & Rena's group) choreography. Not sure how to describe Tor's piece - it was persussion, a bit like Stomp. And then HevMate choreographed the finale (in which we all had to sing ) and encore (charlston). All in all forty minutes of dancing - Will and Kate as the lead couple and Mick Wenger as the bad guy (boo hiss).

I would like to thank all the choreographers and all the dancers who made it such an awesome experience. It was hard work, but very rewarding. And I have enormous amounts of respect for all the performers - especially those doing things that I could not imagine ever being able to do myself.

And apologies to those lovely Forumites who arrived for Beach Boogie on Saturday and saw the show, who I didn't manage to dance with after the show was over. I was just exhausted

It was a real delight to meet DS at last, together with the lovely Mrs Smurf. I'm back at work today, tired and a bit sore in parts, envious of those who are just starting their week at Beach Boogie. Can't wait to see the video!

Beach Bootcamp - The Big Love Show!

Hello fellow Beach Bootcampers!

Wasn't that a fab few days??!! Tiring - but fab nonetheless! I am *still* "singing" the song for the finale...

Has anyone got any photos of the event? I took some but they're still trapped inside the camera on an unfinished film.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all of the teachers for all of their hard work & patience during rehearsals - especially Amir . Special mention also to Tor for organising the whole event . And, of course, the entire cast deserve a big pat on the back for their dedication to the cause during rehearsals. And finally, many thanks to my wonderful partner ChrisA for putting up with me!

Here's hoping that we get to perform it again sometime soon - and raise lots of money for charity in the process!

J

Blog Entries

Re: Beach Bootcamp - The Big Love Show!

It was indeed an awesome experience. And enormous respect to all those who choreographed the show, and danced the choreography so amazingly.

'We go together, like do-wop-de-dooby-dooby..."
    Last edited by Franck; 26th-July-2004 at 02:04 PM. Reason: edited to remove merge request

What more to say ... other than thanks to Nigel & Nina - what a stunning routine ... but doing more than 200 lifts in two days is knackering ...

Cath reckons it's easy for the guy - all we need to do is stand around underneath whilst the girls do all the work ... I'm not sure what she thinks she does during a bar lift ...

and thanks to Hev ... the finale looked fantastic, especially the stunning heart ...

Quote Originally Posted by Divissima
    'We go together, like do-wop-de-dooby-dooby..."
    But our line was "Remember forever, as shoowop, shoowally, wally, yippity, boom-de-boom"....

J

Blog Entries

Re: The Big Love Show

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    But our line was "Remember forever, as shoowop, shoowally, wally, yippity, boom-de-boom"....
    Aaahhhhh. Now that would explain a lot

Glitter Queen

Pictures? Video? Pleeeeease!
    I'm so jealous at not being able to go to Beach Boogie this year - surely someone has some pics of the goings-on down there for me?

So where are the photos? :puppy dog eyes:

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    So where are the photos?
    Well I seem to have a couple...

See what happens when you take a couple of minutes off?

We certainly didn't sit down very much after that...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oooh look another one...

Wonder who it is who's determined to look completely coordinated with her rather gorgeous flipflops...

And they did match, of course...

Last edited by ChrisA; 27th-July-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Not that he's worried in any way about the quality of the accommodation...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Oooh look another one...

Wonder who it is who's determined to look completely coordinated with her rather gorgeous flipflops...

And they did match, of course...

Yes, but what about the shoes?!

Blog Entries

Not that he's worried in any way about the quality of the accommodation...

He wasn't the only one. There were dust mites in that chalet from the Jurassic period

Yes, but what about the shoes?!
    The shoes were fab.

The gorgeous flipflops, of course, are perfectly coordinated with anything...

... or nothing

Blog Entries

Rob C (aka Dance Genius ) mentioned he had taken photos of the show itself. But he's still down at Beach Boogie for the rest of the week so we shall have to be patient

Blog Entries

The shoes were fab.

... or nothing
    Just you wait til Jayne reads this

Huh?

I'm talking about Jayne's gorgeous flipflops. She got them free with a copy of Cosmo she bought recently. They're pink, and go with anything. And nothing - they even look Ok in the hall, apparently.

Your flipflops were very nice too. Went very well with the nails ISTR.

Blog Entries

Huh?

I'm talking about Jayne's gorgeous flipflops. She got them free with a copy of Cosmo she bought recently. They're pink, and go with anything. And nothing - they even look Ok in the hall, apparently.
    I worry about you sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by GroinStrain
    Your flipflops were very nice too. Went very well with the nails ISTR.

The shoes were fab.

... or nothing
    ChrisA: :slap:

Has anyone got a photo of the heart? Not that I'm impatient or anything...

J

Bit late, I know, but wasn't that an amazing weekend!!! It was sooo worth going down for the show. Doing the tango bit and watching Claire & Toby/Chris & Jayne dance it so beautifully has really inspired me to want to learn it more. I was, of course, helped so much by my wonderful partner, David Martin, who could lead me expertly even when I completely forgot what I was supposed to be doing.

Amir was absolutely amazing for managing to teach us - particularly us novices - such a good routine. And for constantly remaining so relaxed and laid back - even when we kept going wrong! He was brilliant for giving us all those performance techniques, too - even if I couldn't manage to stay off the alcohol ... and Claire and Toby might have had trouble abstaining from, um, well, some of the other things!!!

Hev, Tor and the whole team deserve huge admiration and thanks for organising and putting it all together. I really don't know how they managed to do all that, and then have the energy for the Beach Boogie week afterwards.

I've been absolutely exhausted ever since, and have been getting into work progressively later each day because of being so shattered. Marc is only just learning to walk again after all his acrobatics in the hip hop section - I never even knew he could do all that stuff - so proud of him!

I can't wait to see the video - all the acts were so good, I can't decide which one I'm looking forward to seeing most.

I'm just so sorry not to have been able to stay for the week. Meeting Bill, Fran, DS, Fi, Grant and so many others there who were just arriving for the week made it so hard to leave! But I'm sure they're all having a brilliant time - please post some accounts of the week when you all get back so we can at least enjoy it vicariously.
    Rachel

Thread Information