View Poll Results: Should any “REP” given, (good or bad) automatically have the writers name attached ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it should, YES.

23 54.76%
  • I think it should remain anonymous, NO.

19 45.24%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: SHOULD "REP" BE ANONYMOUS ?

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: SHOULD "REP" BE ANONYMOUS ?

I think Franck should do what he darn well pleases....it's his ball, he can play with it as he likes

Obviously if I don't like his 'rules' then I''ll do my level best to get him to change them, but at the end of the day this forum isn't really a democracy, it's a benign dictatorship

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Any leader should be persuaded by the arguments, not by the numbers. Leaders have to make unpopular decisions at times. The greatest progress, (and greatest disasters) are made by leaders who believe X when everybody else believes Y.
    Absolutely right. That's how they become a leader

But we do have a poll and more people have voted one way than the other; I was pointing out that neither view is that of "most people".

As Emma says, it's Franck's decision; but he does listen. I was just pointing out that he might find himself listening to 20 people out of 1000 - or even 15 people out of that same thousand. When what I think he should be doing is listening to one person...

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    it's Franck's decision; but he does listen..
    Yeah, sorry - never meant to imply that he doesn't!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    Yeah, sorry - never meant to imply that he doesn't!!
    And I never meant to imply that you'd implied that he doesn't listen

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

"Most people" have NOT voted: 35 people have voted. Out of nearly 1000 people a mere 35 is not "most people" - at least when I did statistics it wasn't - it was 3.5%.
    I don't have a problem with your point that the majority of people on the forum has not expressed an opinion one way or the other - its a good point, and you are right to raise it.

However, please don't quote me out of context - my posting was making the point that of those who had voted, MOST had also posted their reasons for so voting. I was not claiming that 35 out of 1000 constituted a majority!

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousCurves
    ...my posting was making the point that of those who had voted, MOST had also posted their reasons for so voting. I was not claiming that 35 out of 1000 constituted a majority!
    This is true of all political asignations.

Everyone who is a forum member has the opportunity to make a decision as follows :-

Do I want to vote...?

If the answer is no then that is their choice to exclude themselves and any responsiblity towards them from whatever decision making process is to be taken, including any potential outcomes.

If the answer is yes, then people then have to decide what they want to vote for (or against)...???

If out of 1000 people, only 35 people have voted then the other 965 people have decided OF THEIR OWN VOLITION not to participate or voice an opinion and as such, leave themselves subject to the decisions made in their absence or apathy.

This is the same in any democratic society the world over, council elections, votes for who is to be Mayor of Scrag End on-the-Marsh, national government etc etc.

The annoying thing is where people blaaart on about issues that they are unhappy about without every taking part in any democratic process....

You know the kind of conversations...'the Labour government is crap'

'who did you vote for then...??'

'I didn't vote......'

Tough (IMHO).

Ultimately Franck will make, decide and implement policy, we can influence that through polls etc etc, but at the end of the day, this isn't a democracy (the forum), it's a business venture and Franck is the big cheese, A1, Top Dog, The Man, The Daddy, HRH, MD, Top Banana...

Who's the Daddy......Franck's the Daddy

and so on..(message understood...???)

By the way....keep up the good work Franck......

Labour and any other reference to The Labour Party was used as an example above and in no way reflects the authors opinion or political preferences or leanings..............even if he does think that Labour are a bunch of lying toadies with no ethics, morals or scruples who would send you up the river as soon as actually meet the needs of the electorate.

In no way was any preference that Maggie Thatcher should be back in power as soon as possible as President of the World inferred or intended (although that would be a good thing...IMHO...)........
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousCurves
    I don't have a problem with your point that the majority of people on the forum has not expressed an opinion one way or the other - its a good point, and you are right to raise it.

However, please don't quote me out of context - my posting was making the point that of those who had voted, MOST had also posted their reasons for so voting. I was not claiming that 35 out of 1000 constituted a majority!

Sorry, it was the way I read this sentence -

"Fortunately, most people have not only voted, but left a reasoned argument as to why they voted the way they did."

- was that you were saying that most people have voted. Just goes to show how imprecise the written word can be at conveying a message from one person to another.

Besides, I'm not sure that even close to half of 25 people who voted have written anything to support their argument. And what about those people who changed their mind due to the cut and thrust of debate, were there any? And how could they change their vote if they changed their mind?

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

Sorry,

Besides, I'm not sure that even close to half of 25 people who voted have written anything to support their argument. And what about those people who changed their mind due to the cut and thrust of debate, were there any? And how could they change their vote if they changed their mind?
    Quick check showed 21 had posted as well as voting. I don't think you can re-vote on any poll if you change your mind (though NOT a technical guru ). I guess anyone who was persuaded to a contrary view would have to submit a posting revealing their epiphany!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    T
    If out of 1000 people, only 35 people have voted then the other 965 people have decided OF THEIR OWN VOLITION not to participate or voice an opinion and as such, leave themselves subject to the decisions made in their absence or apathy.

L
    In no way was any preference that Maggie Thatcher should be back in power as soon as possible as President of the World inferred or intended (although that would be a good thing...IMHO...)........
    Think it's fair to say that the MAJORITY of people who are registered on this forum do not take much active part in anything, and many have stopped posting a long time ago......

Re the politics,......You're obviously not Scottish then.....

This is true of all political asignations.

Everyone who is a forum member has the opportunity to make a decision as follows :-

Do I want to vote...?
    ans: Yes

Do I think that polls should be anonymous: yes

Am I going to support a flawed poll? No

A decision that pleases 99% of the population just a little is going to receive little praise - to them it is obviously right. If it greatly displeases the other 1% you can expect some vocal reaction from them. Leaders have to make decisions based on the quality of the arguments, not just on the amounts of noise generated.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    ans: Yes

Do I think that polls should be anonymous: yes

Am I going to support a flawed poll? No

A decision that pleases 99% of the population just a little is going to receive little praise - to them it is obviously right. If it greatly displeases the other 1% you can expect some vocal reaction from them. Leaders have to make decisions based on the quality of the arguments, not just on the amounts of noise generated.
    Very well put

And, most of the time this is true. The one event in politics where this was obviously forgotten was with English poll tax

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Think it's fair to say that the MAJORITY of people who are registered on this forum do not take much active part in anything, and many have stopped posting a long time ago......

Re the politics,......You're obviously not Scottish then.....
    Quite agree....very well put mate...

..and as to the other.....actually of Scottish descent......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Commercial Operator

Quite agree....very well put mate...

..and as to the other.....actually of Scottish descent......
    There is a story about there being more of us Scots living outside Scotland than inside - must be the midges

Talking Re: SHOULD "REP" BE ANONYMOUS ?

Ooooh Errrrrrr....

Just got some (anonymous) bad rep for mentioning Mrs T on a Scottish forum.....

Didn't realise that feelings ran so strong.......

I suppose that differences of opinion will always exist and that is a good thing....

Just remember The Life of Brian......

"the Romans are scum - Romans go home..."

"Yeah - what have the Romans ever done for us...?"

...and then the long list of wine, viaducts, healthcare, safe streets etc, etc.......

There are always two sides to every story.........and different perceptions to be experienced....

Damn - that all sounds a bit serious - not intended by any means......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Ooooh Errrrrrr....

Didn't realise that feelings ran so strong.......

I suppose that differences of opinion will always exist and that is a good thing....

Just remember The Life of Brian......

"the Romans are scum - Romans go home..."

"Yeah - what have the Romans ever done for us...?"

...and then the long list of wine, viaducts, healthcare, safe streets etc, etc.......

There are always two sides to every story.........and different perceptions to be experienced....

Damn - that all sounds a bit serious - not intended by any means......

And what has Gordy ever done for us???? Answers on post card

Commercial Operator

Ooooh Errrrrrr....
    Not guilty gov' .......I am quite open about my hatred for Mrs Thatch....

I mean ...what did she ever do for Scoland........erm.....poll tax,..No more Steel industry, no more coal industry, ................

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Not guilty gov' .......I am quite open about my hatred for Mrs Thatch....

I mean ...what did she ever do for Scoland........erm.....poll tax,..No more Steel industry, no more coal industry, ................
    I hope that people have noticed the total absence of an answer from me - my total silence on this subject has been very hard and I hope it is appreciated

I hope that people have noticed the total absence of an answer from me - my total silence on this subject has been very hard and I hope it is appreciated
    Satisfaction and a clear conscience in silence Andy......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Wasnt this about REP at one point ?

Im happy with the rep system as it stands. You can leave a comment about a post without having to reply in public and the recipient can pay as much attention as they want to what you say. No one will get away with abuse as the moderators can see who posted the messages. In the past offensive/stupid/pointless posts have been moved by the moderators into take it outside/upstairs threads and we've had complaints from the authors about how hard done by they were - at least now the flood of neg rep will let authors know if people really didnt like what they posted without the threat of a nasty response. Mikeys 'bad smell' neg rep is pointlessly childish though, someone needs to put more thought into their insults .

BUT, Until reputation points are legal requirements for my CV Im not going to worry about it overly .

The annoying thing is where people blaaart on about issues that they are unhappy about without every taking part in any democratic process....
    You know the kind of conversations...'the Labour government is crap'

'who did you vote for then...??'

'I didn't vote......'
    Why is that annoying ? You are entitled to representation despite your voting record. I would say abstaining is just as valid a part of the democratic process (unless its illegal in your country e.g. Australia ? )
    If they would have voted for a minority party then it could consider it a pointless vote - so why bother. Of course if everyone who thought that refused to vote, the party in question is missing out but that its the choice of the individual and one vote will only ever make a difference if theres one vote in it (despite some arguments your lack of vote will not implicilty affect anyone elses). Its only with the power of groups of people ganging up, or paying politicians money (lobbying i beleive its called ) that change is made.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Wasnt this about REP at one point ?
    The King of off-topic posting brings things back into line; I don't believe it.

You can't fool us DS, you must have some evil plan.

Thread Information