View Poll Results: Should any “REP” given, (good or bad) automatically have the writers name attached ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it should, YES.

23 54.76%
  • I think it should remain anonymous, NO.

19 45.24%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SHOULD "REP" BE ANONYMOUS ?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: SHOULD "REP" BE ANONYMOUS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I can understand how getting negative anonymous rep, especially if it is accompanied by negative comments, is not very pleasant and not a good use of the Forum. I always sign my name (and haven't given any negative rep and don't intend to either). I really appreciate it when other people sign their name - I think people are much more inclined to do that with positive rep.

Sending anonymous negative rep with nasty comments is a bit juvenille IMO. But whether that is a case for doing away with anon rep, I'm not so sure.
    My views, as voted above is that the reputation system should remain anonymous. I also think that more people should give negative reputation as well, every time you disagree with a view or a way it was expressed, you should hit the neg rep button (of course you should do the same everytime you agree or you want to rewards someone for being helpful / funny etc...)
    I don't think you should sign negative reputation either, if you wanted to give a reasoned reply, you would just post on the thread and be accountable. There are many reasons why someone might want to disagree and remain anonymous, I believe it makes the Forum more accurate and fair, after all, it was recently posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
    Mikey has raised a good point, there is often a trend on this forum to be 'nice' about anything... eg
    instead of putting a venue is not empty....we say...it has loads of dance space
    the music was not bad...we say...it was challenging
    the class was immpossible and boring...we say.... I had never seen moves like that before
    Maybe a bit of negative rep will help redress the 'luviness' balance.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

I have a vague memory of the reputations system being discussed a short while back, and concerns being raised about possible abuse of anonymity.

At the time people said that the "rep" was likely to be used as a bit of fun, and that forum members were all responsible adults.

I would agree that there are many responsible adults on here - but sadly there are some who behave like vindictive children, and the anonymity allows them freedom to write poison pen letters with impunity.

I basically think if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, you shouldn't be given the opportunity to say it behind their back. Giving feedback anonymously depended on people behaving reasonably with that priviledge - sadly, some have shown that they are not able to handle that level of maturity.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    My views, as voted above is that the reputation system should remain anonymous. I also think that more people should give negative reputation as well, every time you disagree with a view or a way it was expressed, you should hit the neg rep button (of course you should do the same everytime you agree or you want to rewards someone for being helpful / funny etc...)
    I don't think you should sign negative reputation either, if you wanted to give a reasoned reply, you would just post on the thread and be accountable. There are many reasons why someone might want to disagree and remain anonymous, I believe it makes the Forum more accurate and fair, after all, it was recently posted:Maybe a bit of negative rep will help redress the 'luviness' balance.
    As usual I agree with Franck. But I did think that people were already using the negative rep button. At least they are with me For example, of the last ten reps you can see on the list I got a negative for 2 of them (which is probably a slightly higher rate of negative rep giving than I give personally). I thought that one was justified and acted on it as mentioned earlier, the other was for going off-topic, which you might think is over-reacting but I had hijacked the thread to mention my dislike of smoking so it is understandable. But some people must like what I post, because, in spite of the negative reps I keep receiving I've got a similar score to DavidB, who is much nicer, more sensible, more knowledgeable and a better dancer than me - and he's taller too At least I've got better legs than him

On the subject of anonymity, I think there are some people who will take umbrage at the receipt of negative rep and lose their temper about it. If they knew who'd given the negative rep they might start an argument with them in the real world rather than the virtual one The giving of anonymous rep is like a secret ballot. And I think there is a place for a secret ballot so that everyone can give their honest view knowing that nobody is going to know how they voted or treat them differently because of the way they voted especially in dark alleyways A secret ballot is democratic and we live in a democracy. If people don't like to take part in a secret ballot they can always keep out of politics or find a place where the politics suits their personality

Me? I'm looking for a place 'where the weather suits my clothes'

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    .........and Negative from
    PUBLIC APOLOGY

Really sorry Gadget for assuming - second time I have embarassed myself over these rep points - they should NOT be anonymous as this sort of thing will happen often. Poor Gadget getting the blame for this ....

Second apology - to Tiger

I was a little harsh in my comment, I should have PM'd or been a little more polite.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

This thread has been interesting to me as someone who hasn't been on the forum for very long. I have posted a couple of +ve reps, but stupidly hadn't realised my name didn't appear on them, I can't remember whether I signed them or not because of this - I just presumed they were all named! However, now I know this I will make sure I sign them in the future. I tend to try not to be negative - in life as well as on the forum, and so I can't see that negative rep is very helpful - I'd rather post an open mail giving my opinions - but then I have a reputation for being blunt, so sorry if I end up upsetting anyone, it's not intentional!!

Trish

Commercial Operator

For the record...

Rep has to be anonymous.

However, it's a HUGE bugbear of mine when someone has a go, but doesn't sign. I don't care for it, and would never do it. I am lucky enough to have the courage of my convictions, and able to put my name to them.

Whilst it should be the choice of people to make their own decision, I can't respect one who would neg rep, and not sign.

BTW, feel free to heap all the neg rep you so wish upon my tarnished soul... but let me know who you are!!

Funnily enough, part of it (like McG) is so that I can right my wrongs/apologise for what has been done, etc, etc...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    For the record...

Rep has to be anonymous.

-snip-

Funnily enough, part of it (like McG) is so that I can right my wrongs/apologise for what has been done, etc, etc...
    I agree with CJ, and I would have given him rep for it but my rep bag is hanging empty and useless with the label "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

See you later

Commercial Operator

Thought long & hard about this.......but probably I'd be happy for the positive rep to be ananymous, and the negative not, especially if there is a comment. if you feel strongly enough to give negative rep, you should be prepared to say why, and to put your name to it IHMO....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Thought long & hard about this.......but probably I'd be happy for the positive rep to be ananymous, and the negative not, especially if there is a comment. if you feel strongly enough to give negative rep, you should be prepared to say why, and to put your name to it IHMO....
    I'm not going to argue with you DD. I'm not going to agree with you either, I refer you to my previous answer

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    For the record...

Rep has to be anonymous.

However, it's a HUGE bugbear of mine when someone has a go, but doesn't sign. I don't care for it, and would never do it. I am lucky enough to have the courage of my convictions, and able to put my name to them....
    Hmmm... here I go again

Way back when this was first introduced, I wrongly accused Trampy of giving me neg rep as at this time they were not named, then for a very short while, we did see names and I saw that this neg rep came from CJ but with no comment, why, I thought or was it just a trial run to see how it worked, a bit unfair though

Hence another reason for not making these reps anonymous

However although I apologised to Trampy he decided to give me a neg rep for the acusation but left his name (that's OK I did deserve it)

To be honest, the whole idea is IMO a little silly, especially when forumites like Santa (16 posts) & Sassy1 (only 5 posts) gets lots of reps and very rarely posts and the likes of Chicklet who posts regularly and has some interesting comments is below them on the Reps lists

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Thought long & hard about this.....
    Oooohh, DD

I love it when you think long and hard...

Prefer it when you TALK long and hard, too...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I'm not going to argue with you DD. I'm not going to agree with you either, I refer you to my previous answer
    Oh my gawd....am I starting to sound like a Lib-Dem....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    I also think that more people should give negative reputation as well, every time you disagree with a view or a way it was expressed, you should hit the neg rep button {snip} Maybe a bit of negative rep will help redress the 'luviness' balance.
    Nope. I don't agree with you there, Franck. So please accept these lovely flowers instead of neg rep!

I *heart* Franck!

Personally, I'm highly aware that my quantity of posts and current rep make any negative rep from me even more devistating to the recipiant. (or however you spell it) This is one of the other main factors in my decision not to negative rep anyone.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Nope. I don't agree with you there, Franck. So please accept these lovely flowers instead of neg rep!

I *heart* Franck!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Personally, I'm highly aware that my quantity of posts and current rep make any negative rep from me even more devistating to the recipiant. (or however you spell it) This is one of the other main factors in my decision not to negative rep anyone.
    Now they know that, maybe people will start being nice to you

..nah...

Commercial Operator

Oh my gawd....am I starting to sound like a Lib-Dem....
    No, you hold opinion and stick to them no matter what way the wind blows

Just noticed something: IMO I think that this poll should have been anonymous: would have encouraged more people to vote and no-one could be accuse of A only voting that way because B did {playground politics anyone?}

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Over on the Australian ceroc forum we've got the rep system installed but hardly anyone uses it (either because they don't care or haven't worked it out yet).

I rarely give any rep, when I do I sign it, but I like the idea of people being able to give rep anonymously. Usually the people I want to give neg rep to are the ones who will then argue with me about it (I think I've only given neg rep once and got a PM about it immediately afterwards). If you want the rep system to give an indication of what people think, rather than what they feel like having an argument and justifying, then you have to let people do it anonymously.

Hi, as a newcomer to this forum I haven't experienced the rep system but think the idea of it is pretty awful. The fact that people can send you negative reps and personally criticise you anonymously is not right - if they've got something to say they should have the guts to put their name by it or not say it at all. I know Mikey has recieved a lot of personal slagging off via this system and I don't think its fair. Some of you have criticised his style of dancing and the way he teaches, and whilst what he teaches is not 'modern jive' as such, it's good fun and its what we, the punters, love. I thought dancing was all supposesd to be about having a good time and enjoying yourself but it seems there are some people out there who just take the whole dance scene much too seriously - or maybe you're just jealous because Mikey's workshops and classes are always so popular! Anyway, this sort of personal vendetator shouldn't be allowed - if people have got something to say they should do it publicly and put their names to it. So for all you cowards out there all I can say is f off and get a life (not very grown up, I know, but that's the way I feel) and for all of you who enjoy Mikey's classes and way of dancing send him a message of support.

Glad I've got that off my chest! And I guess I'll get loads of negative reps for this!!!

Heidi xx

Thread Information