View Poll Results: What do you want to do after the lesson finishes?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a leader: I want to practice the lesson for a few tracks.

6 19.35%
  • I'm a leader: I want to get on with some energetic freestyle.

5 16.13%
  • I'm a leader: I want a drink.

5 16.13%
  • I'm a leader: I don't do lessons.

2 6.45%
  • I'm a leader: I don't care.

2 6.45%
  • I'm A Follower: I want to practice the lesson for a few tracks.

2 6.45%
  • I'm A Follower: I want to get on with some energetic freestyle.

7 22.58%
  • I'm A Follower: I want a drink.

0 0%
  • I'm A Follower: I don't do lessons.

1 3.23%
  • I'm A Follower: I don't care.

1 3.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post lesson practice

Re: Post lesson practice

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    This is something that always throws me in those first couple of dances after a class...
    Someone (hopefully) asks me to dance (or I ask them) and so we start freestyling . Then during the track they start the first move of the preceeding class and my brain kicks in and goes "Oh god, he wants to practice the class moves, that means I'd better switch my brain on so that I don't look an idiot and remember what it was we did..." . So I sort myself out with the class moves and am busy remembering them and dancing them and then after he's led the first or second of the moves we were taught, he changes his mind and goes back into freestyle again ! It's extremely confusing to poor 'little-brained' people like me. I quite often go into the next move on autopilot and then get a blank "what the hell are you doing?" look from my partner and as result look as silly as I would have if I'd not bothered trying to remember the class' moves in the first place. It's a bit of a no-win situaion for me
    Interesting the view from "the other side". I rarely like a move from the class enough to acquire it. If I do I will just practice that one, (or those) seeing how it, or they, fit into freestyle. It never occurred to me that this could be confusing. Not being able to remember the class moves seems to be the rule, rather than a little-brained exception.

This was most certainly the impression I got
    Hurrah. With any luck you're not the only one fooled then

Chris

I just feel sorry for the people dancing with me
    S. x
    Don't - they should consider themselves lucky to get a dance with you!!

After the lesson, I just want to relax after all the concentration, and then by about 3 or 4 dances later I've usually forgotten what the lesson was anyway . Maybe I was a goldfish in a previous life??

Think I'm guilty of starting the lesson moves and then realising I can't remember them all and do something else instead, sorry Sparkles

Have taken to being very sad and writing down some of the moves afterwards (when I do remember them!) so I can go over them in my head. Then I try to use them the next night, usually at a different venue where there's some different people to dance with who won't know that class.

If I go away with one of the moves embedded in my brain, that's a good night for me.

[QUOTE=Eddie]Don't - they should consider themselves lucky to get a dance with you!!

Have taken to being very sad and writing down some of the moves afterwards (when I do remember them!) so I can go over them in my head. Then I try to use them the next night, usually at a different venue where there's some different people to dance with who won't know that class.

not in the slightest are you sad......unless I am too..... cos I write down move all the time to remind me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA

I

Trying the moves a bit later on doesn't half expose (a) my poor lead and (b) any tendency to anticipate on behalf of the ladies, though

Chris

As a mere mortal who has danced with a number of ladies after you have, I am advised by them that (a) above is a figment of your over-active imagination mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Have taken to being very sad and writing down some of the moves afterwards
    I don't think this is sad at all - I do it too whenever there's a particularly good routine. I write them down when I get home... and now I have quite a few of Nigel's and Amir's written down.

Sometimes I can even understand what I've written again afterwards...

Chris

[QUOTE=under par]

[QUOTE]

I did this when I first started, developing a sort of shorthand to do it, then stopped. I have recently started again and try to at least make the notes legible. It does work sometimes.

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Red face Re: Post lesson practice

Ultimately though, you cannot remember all moves and most leaders will dance, regulalry, 10 - 15 moves from 'their repertoire'.

Mentally it isn't possible to remember every move and remember what you've danced so there will always be an element of repeat.

Just remember though guys - you get the same dance every time - that's the dance you lead...ladies get a different dance everytime....lucky eh...

Unless of course lads dance as ladies - not as awful as it sounds and if I do say so myself, I really enjoy having a dance with 'Big' Tim from CerocMetro.

Lovely lead and a real laugh - (we do it only for the praise and applause from onlookers....)...

What.....

Well, Andy McG knows what I mean...
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Man
    ...After the lesson, I just want to relax after all the concentration, and then by about 3 or 4 dances later I've usually forgotten what the lesson was anyway ...
    On the rare occasion when there is a move I do not know that I want to acquire I also try it on people that have not done that class, to ensure that it can be led in freestyle, providing that there are no safety issues.

Thread Information