Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Time for Heroes

Talking A Time for Heroes

Well yes I see you've been busy again... It would be nice (for a change) to check the forum and find a normal thread, you know, with no big argument, just everyone sharing good clean fun stuff
    Somebody wake me I think I'm dreaming Anyway back to the topic at hand.
    OK .... I am here but to serve ....

No ... Franck is right ...its pretty easy to get comments flowing if you're just being argumentative (is that not the role of the Official Devils Advocate though) ... so I thought I take this new challenge and start a thead with a nicer theme. Please Support!

Having had time to contemplate why I'm still doing Ceroc after all these years .... it occured to me that part of the reason was those that had inspired me .... and I thought this was a good forum to give some praise where praise is due. Who was/is it for you.

'Boy' Robin & Susannah Both from Ceroc Notts. I'd moved up from the South and was on the verge of giving it all up ... then I saw Robin on stage ... superb and very challenging teacher ... eash class was advanced but he taught it in such a way that you were hooked. Sadly, he has now gone across to the dark side and is lost to us for ever (become a Lindy Hop teacher ... and a pretty good one). Even after Robin's teaching I still felt like I had two left feet, enter Susannah (now a Ceroc teacher down South somewhere), a truly gorgeous lass and even better dancer who for some reason thought I could dance and alwys dragged me on the dancefloor and introduced me round the club. That is what fired me up and kept me going.

Viktor and Lydia I always thought they were excellent dancers .. and after they taught a few workshops for me appreciated just how good they were as teachers. What was even better was when I got chance to know them as individuals ... two of the nicest people you could ever want to meet and got some very intersting vies on dance which forced me to rethink some of my own attitudes .... great fun to have around.

Janie and James Cronin That will surprise a few people. Its well know I've got some major issues with the Ceroc Organisation and hierarchy ... BUT, above all else it was the vision and dedication of 'Mr & Mrs Ceroc' who gave us the dnace and the structure that we all now enjoy. It ain't perfect ... but think what a colder place the world would be without this fantastic social activity. Respect!

OK ... enough of my self indulgence ..... who else has inspired you ... no doubt I'll think of a few more as the weeks progress ... but don't be shy ... SHARE!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: A Time for Heroes

Originally posted by Gus
    Janie and James Cronin
    I will join you here. One of reasons I am still passionate about Ceroc and even willing to start new nights is because of the inspiration that James and Janie gave me when I first started 10 years ago.
    Respect indeed I've rarely met anyone with as much vision and most of the things I believe in (re. Ceroc) were inspired by James Cronin.

As an extra bit of great news, James and Janie have just agreed to give up part of their holidays to go to the 10th anniversary party in Glasgow on the 23rd November and help us celebrate.

Franck.

The Oracle
    Sorry if this reads like an Oscar acceptance speech

Vicky Cunniffe
    The first poor lady who tried to teach me to dance. She coached the Ballroom Dance club at Imperial College

David & Leslie Elkin
    The best cabaret dance couple I've ever seen. They made everything look effortless, and showed me what is meant by dancing through a lift.

Bo & Helle Loft-Jensen
    Former World 10-Dance champions, who kept teaching us after they won.

Marcus and Karen Hilton
    The nicest couple in Ballroom dancing. They also happened to be the best dancers in the world.

Michelle Kincaid, Robert Cordoba, Kyle Redd, Sara Vann Drake, Mario Robau, Angel & Debbie Figueroa
    All professional West Coast Swing teachers, for teaching a couple of beginners from the UK, and showing us just what you can do in a dance. (Anyone who was at Rebel Yell last Saturday will know what I mean)

And finally a third vote for James & Janie. Ceroc was the first dance I could do without thinking, and could just enjoy. (And Janie is still my favourite Ceroc teacher)

David

B.T.C.
    Well a few names spring to mind for me

Both Jenni who taught in Dundee and first suggested I taxi and of course Lorna who has much to do with any improvements I've made over the last 2/3 years - were instrumental in quenching my Ceroc 'thirst' ...thanks

But as with most dancers there are certain individuals who have helped, often unwittingly;

'Wee' Jan and Susan from my club who helped me with moves and who were as dedicated ( mad) as I was and Susan was my first 'dance partner'.

Rakesh, Jim and Matthew from Dundee - three great dancers who were wonderful at showing new moves and taking time to help if needed. And I still regard Rakesh as probably the best dancer I've seen up here

Avril who made dancing fun and who helped me through the first couple of competitions and now of course to Fran who has helped me develop further.

Does begin to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech doesn't it

and to everyone else who has helped me with my 'addiction'

Re: A Time for Heroes

Originally posted by Gus
    OK .... I am here but to serve ....

Having had time to contemplate why I'm still doing Ceroc after all these years .... it occured to me that part of the reason was those that had inspired me .... and I thought this was a good forum to give some praise where praise is due. Who was/is it for you.
    Well Bill I have only been going to Ceroc for 8 months but don't often miss a night of Ceroc. I have to thank Lorna who was the first teacher I ever had (she looked a bit different then!) and then Franck who has his own style and then Bill my first taxi dancer and last but not least all those well mannered guys who danced with me in the first weeks and said nothing about me standing on their toes and missing all their signals! Oh one last thought, watching people like Lisa, Laura, Bill and a few others made me feel "I want to dance like that!". Still hoping!

Thanks

Sandy

Re: A Time for Heroes

Originally posted by Gus
    Janie and James Cronin
    I Third that. Lovely couple, thanks to whom I've enjoyed Ceroc for 8 years now.

OK, my acceptance speech...

HUGE thanks to:

My Mum, who successfully convinced an unwilling 16 year old that I *did* want to learn ballroom dancing (sorry the samba routine's not changed in six years though...)

My Dad who drove me to my lessons for two years - and then patiently sat through said lessons before driving me home again.... Not to mention all those jives!

Stuart and Liz Shaw for convincing me that dancing is great fun - I've never looked back since!

and everyone who helped fuel my 'addiction' by dancing with me. "are you dancin'?"

Where are those tissues??...

Jayne

Cliff Ellis and Penny
    Two of the nicest people you could meet. I had my first class with them and the other day Penny recognised me and came over just to compliment me on my dancing as they had been watching me. That comment made my day. Needless to say they are both fantastic dancers and Cliff's way of teaching by exaggerating the way not to do things is just so funny to watch.

Kelly Hudson
    All I can say about Kelly is she is an angel. Every time she is on stage the atmosphere of the room is filled with fun and excitment. She is so bubbly, friendly and easily one of the best teachers in London and Kent. She makes an effort to dance with as many people as she can in an evening. If your sitting down you won't be for long.

Actually, I think my thanks ought to go to ... Gus!

When I started, I was sooo bad at Ceroc for such a long time ... I don't remember ever dancing with the teacher or any taxi dancers (not even sure if they had any taxis then) and I was far too shy to ask anyone to dance. But I do remember Gus as being one of the only good dancers who would actually dance with me. That made no end of difference. Thanks!
    Rachel

Oh and, of course, David B who I met on Saturday night - an absolutely fantastic dancer and brilliant lead - who kindly danced with me and reassured me that my timing is not that bad, after all! Watching him and Lily dancing was just a total inspiration ... I want to dance like that!!!!

Lily and David, if you're ever teaching any workshops, I'll be first in the queue...

Thumbs up as inspired by...

To join in the mutual back slapping;
    The people who I admire and watch on the dance floor for inspiration are Bill, Craig (when he's here) and someone that I haven't caught the name of yet {...I'm useless with names: new shoes last week - hence my shoe thread - dances complex moves with an almost bored air about him... prompt?}

I think that you mean Dave, he has demonstrated for me on occassion? He is lovely to dance with and is especially great with beginners - an all rounder!!

Dave - that's the name: I had heard it, I just forgot. Ta.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    I can never remember the names of anyone - unless I know them well - scarily so in fact, people seem to know my name at Ceroc when I can't remember theirs . I need name tags, bad memory.

Guys- Bill Foreman (makes every woman smile!) Brian from Edinburgh (who once danced jive to 'bohemian rhapsody' in Dundee and made it look good!!!). I also really liked the style of a tatooed teacher I saw once at the Jive Bar in london - wore sleevless shirts, had bouncy style - ace dancer.

Girls - Avril, Lisa, Laura,Elsie, Sheena err.. lets just leave it there..apologies to everyone who I missed, the standard is so high, this thread could turn into another Gwyneth/Halle speech.

Im wondering now if I've danced with the people in here like Filthy Cute and Dancing Veela - not that Im likely to recognise the names...assuming those aren't their real ones .

oh, thanks to the rest of the Ceroc teachers

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Im wondering now if I've danced with the people in here like Filthy Cute and Dancing Veela - not that Im likely to recognise the names...assuming those aren't their real ones .
    Are you dancing on Sunday?????? If so then we'll find out then won't we???? Assuming you'll let us know who you are too DS???

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    yes Ive entered lucky dip AND intermediate - the fact that www.ceroc.info says there are only 15 entries for intermediate scares me a bit !! eek ... the pressure!!

See you there - Ill be the one standing at the side trying to look inconspicuous like i normally do. hmm i really should ask more people to dance, i usually wait for them to come to me - never turned down a dance yet though .

B.T.C.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    [B]yes Ive entered lucky dip AND intermediate - the fact that www.ceroc.info says there are only 15 entries for intermediate scares me a bit !! eek ... the pressure!!

But you can just have fun and savour the moment

I'm very disappointed that there are so few entries for some of the categories what happened to all the keen dancers up here????

Looks as if there's only 2 Double Trouble entires and I happen to know one of them hasn't actually met up to practice yet
    and only 3 in the Advanced.

I did suggest months ago that being on a Sunday would make it difficult for many folk from England so perhaps once it's established next year will attract more folk and trying to book it for a Saturday will really help I think. But..........every event has to start somewhere and tehre should be a good crowd there to cheer everyone on.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    don't you have any work to do Bill ?

lets play 'forum tag' you're it....

er..sorry not much to do just now

Originally posted by Dancing Veela

Are you dancing on Sunday?????? If so then we'll find out then won't we???? Assuming you'll let us know who you are too DS???
    And how will we identify you, Dancing Veela??

Grant

Originally posted by Grant

And how will we identify you, Dancing Veela??

Grant
    Ok when I've finalised my outfit I'll let you know and you can find me - after all surely I will be the only woman dressed in black????? This was my point of starting the Scottish Champs thread - I know so few of the people on the forum by their names - I may have danced with quite a few of you in the past - it would be fun to meet up at a certain point in the night in Forum Corner or something???????

I'm only dancing in the Lucky Dip - nobody asked me to dance in anything else

Thread Information