Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Men In Black

Men In Black

A question to other forum members:
    I am being pressurised by a few dance partners to wear only black.

This I refuse to do, as it shows a lack of imagination. Not that I think there
    is anything wrong with wearing black, but if we all wore black, life would be
    very boring.

So should all men dress in black, as the majority do, or should we try to be
    an individual, dressing the way we think we look best and not copying
    everyone else ?

Re: Men In Black

I usually wear black T-shirts during normal dance nights, for two reasons. Firstly I'm a firm believer in the slimming qualities of of black tops, especially when not tucked in Secondly it hides the sweat stains better than any other colour I frequently describe the quality of a night's dancing by the number of shirts I get through, eg a four shirter, or a five shirter.
    For freestyles, I tend to go for the trouser and braces, shirt and waistcoat style of Nigel, et al, albeit with a couple of shirts in reserve. For period functions (eg 1940s) it's either white tie and tails, or proper military uniforms, but that's because I'm a complete peacock and dress up at the drop of a (top)hat.
    I have some remarkably LOUD baggies, with purple and other coloured T-shirts, which come out on weekenders, or at Beach Boogie. They sometimes make an appearance in London, when the weather is hot.
    In answer to your question, there are sound reasons for wearing black tops (and changing them frequently ) but nothing to stop you wearing ones with colourful prints. This leaves plenty of room for loud trousers, to maintain your individuality against the MIB throng.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jezza
    Do not fall for this. There is a Ceroc clone and he wears black trousers and a black shirt, and he's everywhere.

I do have black clothes and even wore them in the Jive Masters - much to everyone's surprise (I even have a 'little black dress', black fishnets and black patent stillettoes ). But, I think it shows a lack of imagination and eagerness to conform to always wear black.

The argument that black shirts don't show sweat is true. But the same holds true for patterned clothes as well. It's pale shades that are darkened by moisture that should be avoided. And you could also say that white, at least in some fabrics, doesn't show the sweat either.

One thing to consider is the motivation of your partners when asking you to wear black. Are you clothes a disaster area? Are you wearing patterned shirts and patterned trousers? Are you dancing in pyjamas? Do you dress like me?

Or are they saying they think you'll be sexy in black? Maybe black goes with the colour scheme of their bedrooms

very boring.

So should all men dress in black, as the majority do, or should we try to be
    an individual, dressing the way we think we look best and not copying
    everyone else ?
    Strange question! Wear what you want to ...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Good answer, so simple and yet sooo right

I think the problem is that a lot of people tell some of us what we should be wearing - or, in my case, not wearing

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

I've noticed that beginner men start off in nice bright colours then, after they have been coming to Ceroc a few months, revert to black
    I can't understand why they do this.
    Guys - if you wear black you just blend in with all the other guys wearing black and when us girls try and find you for a dance we can't find you!

Of course that's the proper answer. Well said Rachel!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Guys - if you wear black you just blend in with all the other guys wearing black and when us girls try and find you for a dance we can't find you!
    Maybe we should number the men in black.

"MIB No 27, your time is up with Northants Girly - your next dance is with Bardsey"

very boring.
    Who are these people pressurising you - haven't they got any dancing to get on with?!

Have you tried asking them why they want you to wear black? Perhaps Andy is right and they think you look a bit too bright - or perhaps they're just jealous of your style and want you to look the same as everyone else.

Anyway I agree with Rachel, wear what you like, although I guess if the brightness of your colour scheme is putting people off you could tone it down a bit (several bright colours at once might be a bit much). Not having seen what you look like (or not to my knowledge anyway) it's difficult to comment! Personally I like a bit of colour though - go for it!

Blog Entries

Hmmm.... personally I think everyone should be heavily encouraged to wear black... plus make-up.... listen to the Sisters Of Mercy.... etc...

But that's just me.

Also, Changing colours half way through the night confuses me. If I've earmarked a good partner for grabbing later, a shirt change can ruin my stalking plan.

So boys, could you possibly make sure that you have several identical shirts so that I can easily pick out potential victims.............errrrr partners, even after a shirt change. It would also be useful if you could wear the same shirt(s) every week (clean of course) as you all look the same in the dark and I have the memory of a gnat. I can't always find fab dancers for a repeat performance in subsequent weeks.

Naturally, I myself will not be wearing the same every week...

Daisy

At least MJers wear shirts - you could be doing the Paso Doble with someone who thinks they are Paul Killick, dancing topless in a skirt on Strictly Come Dancing!

(If that isn't handing a response to Mr McG on a plate, I don't know what is )

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    At least MJers wear shirts - you could be doing the Paso Doble with someone who thinks they are Paul Killick, dancing topless in a skirt on Strictly Come Dancing!
    I danced with a man in a vest on Saturday. I was quite happy until he wiped his wet hairy sweaty armpit across my back and all down my arm. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain
    Also, Changing colours half way through the night confuses me.
    This is the idea -- it helps some of us get a second dance

SpinDr.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Hmmm.... personally I think everyone should be heavily encouraged to wear black... plus make-up.... listen to the Sisters Of Mercy.... etc...
    GOOD answer!!

I danced with a man in a vest on Saturday. I was quite happy until he wiped his wet hairy sweaty armpit across my back and all down my arm. Yuck!
    Just for the record, it was not I.

I think maybe I need to add another category to my standard list of three that should be shunned on the dance floor...

It now consists of:

Stinkers
    Yankers
    Pervs, and...

Wipers.

There is no need for the wearing of a sleeveless top to result in any unpleasantness for the lady

Chris

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

I could cope with dancing with a topless Martin Offiah though

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I could cope with dancing with a topless Martin Offiah though

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, Changing colours half way through the night confuses me. If I've earmarked a good partner for grabbing later, a shirt change can ruin my stalking plan.

So boys, could you possibly make sure that you have several identical shirts so that I can easily pick out potential victims.............errrrr partners, even after a shirt change.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information