View Poll Results: IMHO Live Bands

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to hear my favourite tracks sung by the artist

7 12.73%
  • There is a time and a place for live bands.......its called a concert!

14 25.45%
  • I avoid any night with a band.

8 14.55%
  • We don't need live music for MJ,

16 29.09%
  • I don't mind live bands - quite like them for a change occasionally

17 30.91%
  • I love live bands that provide MJ music and varies the tempo

17 30.91%
  • There are a lot of bands now who cater for the MJ scene and will slow the set down appropriately

8 14.55%
  • Keep music live

6 10.91%
  • Bring Back Glen Miller

8 14.55%
  • Who is Glen Miller?

1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Live Bands

Re: Live Bands

MJ wise, the only live band I've danced to is Jive Aces who have played a couple of times at the venue I taxi at. I enjoy watching & listening to them, but not to dance to. I prefer a much wider mix of music that I would get from a DJ, and it does annoy me that it tends to take over a class night that I'd rather have as normal and that I tend to have to pay more for.

They are always popular and tend to get the highest numbers for that night, including more visitors than normal as people do like the novelty. I just find one dance to the band is enough for me, I'm the one waiting for the DJ to come back on. I could always not attend that specific evening, but then I'd miss out on dancing with guys who don't usually go to that venue, so I enjoy the performance rather than use them as a dance band.

I'd be quite interested to see if I feel the same about other bands playing at MJ do's

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I have been to plenty of brilliant nights put on by Jive Party, their live band nights in Leicester Square used to be THE MJ events to go to before the venue changed. Greg
    I went there twice, I can't remember the name of the place, but it's now a theatre - like the West End needs another theatre!

It used to be packed, it's so sad that it closed down. I gather that the Hippodrome has gone the same way.

Jive Party used to provide a great event, and their DJing was awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by scotttwin View Post
    I went there twice, I can't remember the name of the place, but it's now a theatre - like the West End needs another theatre!

It used to be packed, it's so sad that it closed down. I gather that the Hippodrome has gone the same way.

Jive Party used to provide a great event, and their DJing was awesome too.
    Notre Dame Hall

It changed to a theatre for Boy George what a waste

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I remember one night when the great Peter Phillips (sorry Minie) was DJ ing and there was also a live band who were dreadfull, after their set the compare asked if we would like an encore and a good half dozen shouts of NO came back and Pete who realised the situation put a track on and that was it,
    I did chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    I remember one night when the great Peter Phillips (sorry Minie) was DJ ing and there was also a live band who were dreadfull, after their set the compare asked if we would like an encore and a good half dozen shouts of NO came back and Pete who realised the situation put a track on and that was it,
    I did chuckle
    you live a sheltered life Nick

When he was a MJ DJ Peter hated lived bands, so I am not surprised you didn't appreciate them - there is a moral behind this though

If you came to the weekend I shall be at this weekend you would certainly change your mind. A good band (and there are more rubbish ones than good) makes an atmospher and makes you move even when you are not dancing.

Mind you, you do need to like swing/r & b music first and it also helps if you can dance in that style.

Mike Rosa & Samantha B had a dance in the Docklands recently with a live band and the whole night rocked - we ALL loved it

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Mike Rosa & Samantha B had a dance in the Docklands recently with a live band and the whole night rocked - we ALL loved it
    We took the time to audition the band, had a track listing and a tempo range. Likewise we took a little time also to educate people in how to behave around the Band. The result, well it still is the only Live music WCS freestyle to date, but it was awsome

Notre Dame Hall

It changed to a theatre for Boy George what a waste
    I went there to see Boy George's show, it's was called The Venue.

Some of it still looked like a night club and Tabboo used this as a set. In fact the audiance could drink at the bar which was part of the set - but was part of the theatre.

However there were lots of permanant seats that would need to be ripped out to convert it back to a night club.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I went there to see Boy George's show, it's was called The Venue.

Some of it still looked like a night club and Tabboo used this as a set. In fact the audiance could drink at the bar which was part of the set - but was part of the theatre....
    Not sure if this is same venue ?

Notre Dame Hall is a dance hall, wouldn't describe it a a night club and it is in Leicester Place just off of Leicester Square - I think The Venue is in New Cross (not that I have every been to The Venue)

from Google :-

Eighties New Wave icon Boy George ........at Notre Dame Hall in Leicester Place, London

--ooOoo--

Not sure if this is same venue ?

Notre Dame Hall is a dance hall, wouldn't describe it a a night club and it is in Leicester Place just off of Leicester Square - I think The Venue is in New Cross (not that I have every been to The Venue)

from Google :-
    This one is definately just of Leciester Square, (north side) on the same short street as Ruby Blue.

I'll have a hunt around for the Tabboo programme with the address on.

Maybe the show was relocated.

Thread Information