• £16

1 1.56%
  • £18

1 1.56%
  • £20

8 12.50%
  • Whatever it costs

17 26.56%
  • Nothing .. why should I pay when I can go for free?

1 1.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair Price for a QUALITY Freestyle

Re: Fair Price for a QUALITY Freestyle

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Not at all, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I do feel that what you are describing is all too readily available already, and not something "special" which Gus is aiming for. I this sort of night is already available for a tenner, then I wouldn't pay £30 for it!

For those of us who remember what an excellent event the Glitter Ball was (and included all that I listed) they'd know what I mean.
    I wasnt really trying to describe a night but rather point out that 'special' is pretty much impossible to define. There will always be people who find things they dont like, including me
    I think it would be better to lay out the ideas for a 'special' night, see how much people would be willing to pay knowing what is involved and then for an organiser to get as close as possible.

I think there is a difference between Quality freestyle (what I would like to experience every friday and saturday night) and a Special Event (which should also be Quality but better )

One can ignore the costs to the organiser as these are irrelevant to the punter and may or may not be accurately reflected in the entry cost. The cost a punter will bare will depend on a mix of characteristics , reputation of the organiser, the DJ , the venue, who else you know is going etc.

In the last two weeks or so I have been to 3 fri/Sat freestyles the most expensive was £8 stayed 1 hour no modern jive played in that time left disgusted. The other two were £6 both swing based danced untill I couldn't stand even if my Lindy is still rubbish. On that basis I am more likely to happily pay more for a Special event organised by either of the latter I wouldn't even consider going to the former again.

It is unreasonable to expect an organiser to get everything right (for each individual) but there should be some fundamentals.

Good music is fundamental , realistically you can dance with anybody of any standard and have a good time (ok you may not use all you moves ) The dance may not be perfect but if you and your partner enjoyed it so what .

There must be adequate floorspace for the numbers and style of dancing .

Why cabarets at freestyles ? (or beginners lessons for that matter) never could work this out as far as I am concerned just reduces dancing time. but at a Special Event or weekender etc then brilliant opportunity to see how it really should be done.

Incidentals like food (can't eat and dance) alcoholic drink (can't drink and dance or drive) coffee (scrape me off the ceiling for the next 12 hrs) would not make a difference (unless I was expecting them and didn't get them ).

Hall decorations ????? I am concentrating on my partner I couldn't tell you at the end of the night whether the hall had been dressed or not, but for may it must set the scene.

so what would I pay ? .......... depends !

just a thought what about charging a minimal entry fee but a satsifaction exit fee based on the size of the smile (and by extension customer satisfaction achieved) last Saturday would have cost me a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by plankton
    The other two were £6 both swing based danced untill I couldn't stand even if my Lindy is still rubbish
    We had a good dance though that dance was good value for money, great music, and a really nice friendly crowd floor was a bit sticky though

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    We had a good dance though that dance was good value for money, great music, and a really nice friendly crowd floor was a bit sticky though

dancing with you Minnie .... I never even touched the floor

Quote Originally Posted by plankton

dancing with you Minnie .... I never even touched the floor
    What a cheesy line - have some rep - it has gone straight into my "must use" book.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I have to admit that I did not read the thread before voting, so I thought you meant a regular weekly freestyle night, and voted for up to £8.

If I'd known you meant for a proper ball like JB used to do, then I'd have put up to £30, but it would also need to be a special occassion. JB used to have his between Christmas & New Year, so it was a special time of year too.

yes i didnt read so please amend mind to what ever it cost, i put £20

If its a good new years eve function £30 is fine

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    yes i didnt read so please amend mind to what ever it cost, i put £20

If its a good new years eve function £30 is fine
    Here's a question for those people who'd pay more for a New Year's Eve bash. Assuming that the extra dosh more than covers the more expensive venue hire, staff costs and so on. What would you like to see the organiser spend some extra money on? For instance, a live band? Food? Competition with cash prizes? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Here's a question for those people who'd pay more for a New Year's Eve bash. Assuming that the extra dosh more than covers the more expensive venue hire, staff costs and so on. What would you like to see the organiser spend some extra money on? For instance, a live band? Food? Competition with cash prizes? Just wondering.
    Not sure if I'm answering your question, but I'd rather pay more for less crowding.

I went to a JiveTime New Year bash at Ealing a few years back, and "bash" was the operative word. I'd rather have paid, say, half as much again for 2/3 the number of people.

It would have saved Franco a bit, too, since he wouldn't have had to lay on as much food (which was, incidentally, superb - don't know what it's been like the last couple of years though).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    What would you like to see the organiser spend some extra money on? For instance, a live band? Food? Competition with cash prizes? Just wondering.
    More time to dance - i.e. until 3am instead of midnight or 1am.

That's it, really.

Hmmm, looks like a poll to me...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    ...Hmmm, looks like a poll to me...
    Perhaps it needs a different kind of poll, where we could select our top six priorities in order. e.g room to dance 6, challenging music 5, ... Fancy ashtrays - Nil points

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I didn't want to do a poll. I'm not interested in trying to guess in advance what people would want and then have rankings and counts, and votings. I just wanted to hear some ideas.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Not sure if I'm answering your question, but I'd rather pay more for less crowding.

I went to a JiveTime New Year bash at Ealing a few years back, and "bash" was the operative word. I'd rather have paid, say, half as much again for 2/3 the number of people.

It would have saved Franco a bit, too, since he wouldn't have had to lay on as much food (which was, incidentally, superb - don't know what it's been like the last couple of years though).
    Chris, since you attended some years ago, we have reduced the numbers at Ealing both on Halloween and New Year Eve's to 250 max, whereas before we always got 300 at both events. The cost has remained the same, £ 10 Halloween (due again on Friday the 28 this month, including free bar and dancing up to 1.30 in the morning. Incidentally, I would go up to later than that but the Town Hall is not licenced for later time) and £ 30 New Year Eve's (including free bar and still delicious food, as I have never cheapskated on either drinks or food, finishing time 1.30 am).

Reading what the various people have written in this thread, I am glad to have been proved once again right about my views such as the late finishing times. When I introduced these first at Camber, Bognor and Ealing, many said that by midnight the venue would have been empty, given that 23.00 to midnight was the general finishing time adopted by almost all organisers untill a few years ago. Look at it now, Camber and Bognor goes on till 6.00 in the morning, Ealing till 1.30 in the morning, would anyone have anything less than that...?

Commercial Operator

I think it's interesting to compare the price of other events outside the MJ arena.

Look at the price for a non-MJ charity ball. Tickets easily £40 or £50 per person and you get a meal and a disco plus raffle/auction usually.

What about going out for dinner? 3 course meal easily £20 plus wine plus service charge!! Service charge might be as much as a normal MJ night!!

A trip to the theatre. £25 a ticket plus drinks.

What about your bog standard works Christmas do!!!!!!

Sometimes it's worth putting these things in perspective. I think MJ events in general are very good value for money.

Right, Im going to give a hard cash amount

If the Jango crew decided to put on a 4/5 hour freestyle on a friday or saturday, or indeed any day , I would pay up to £20 to get in. I would pay that purely for entry. If it was a one off possibly more.

I can safely say now that I would immensly enjoy it so £20 to me is a well worth paying.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmanjohn
    !

Sometimes it's worth putting these things in perspective. I think MJ events in general are very good value for money.

Couldn't agree more....£6 to £15 depending on event and or venue for minimum 3 hours entertainment works out at £2 to £5 an hour for your fun.

Can't get much else for that kind of money these days!!

And Mrs Par and i often pay more in petrol bills than we do at a venues ticket desk, but it is worth it for a good nights dancing...

I think £7 or £8 for a regular night is fairly good value, but I don't think I could even consider paying £20. I don't earn all that much and value for money is an issue for me - £20 spent on that is £20 NOT spent on something else, I have to make choices. I'm sure I can't be the only one in this position. As well as admission, I often spend £15 or more per week on petrol to get to the venues. Like UP, I get so much enjoyment from it that it is worthwhile but I'm not in the "money is no object" camp!

Dance venue-wise, my needs are very simple. A large, good floor, easy to get to, plenty of parking, good sound system and a competent DJ. The first and last are the most important, the rest don't matter much to me. I certainly don't think we should have to pay extra to get decent music, it should be part of the basic package.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    I think £7 or £8 for a regular night is fairly good value, but I don't think I could even consider paying £20. I don't earn all that much and value for money is an issue for me - £20 spent on that is £20 NOT spent on something else, I have to make choices. I'm sure I can't be the only one in this position. As well as admission, I often spend £15 or more per week on petrol to get to the venues. Like UP, I get so much enjoyment from it that it is worthwhile but I'm not in the "money is no object" camp!

I think its fair to say you are definatley not on your own at all. Packed freestyles around the country will verify that .

I would be willing to pay £20 for a 4, or preferably 5 hour set, purely because I love the kind of music that Jango play.
    As it just doesnt happen anywhere else I consider it a niche (if thats the right word) market. As such I would expect to pay more for it.
    Im not saying many others would as petrol is a biggy!! especially at these prices
    Perhaps £15 then for a Jango'esq night of music and frolics Thats £3 per hour. Thats mouth-wateringly good value

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    Perhaps £15 then for a Jango'esq night of music and frolics Thats £3 per hour. Thats mouth-wateringly good value
    OK, maybe I might be willing, occasionally, to pay £15 for such a night as you describe. As long as
    a. The DJ played an endless succession of favourites personally approved & vetted by myself. And
    b. All my favourite leaders were ordered to be there and lined up for my (dancing) delectation. And
    c. I get first right of refusal over any other ladies that might be allowed in.

I've never been to Jango. Is it like that there?

I agree, £3 per hour is good value compared with most other forms of entertainment I can think of.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the whole "comparing with other types of activity" is a bit of a red herring - lots of things cost lots of money, it's pointless trying to compare them, because they operate in different markets.

To me, the only real comparison for "value for money" purposes is between different MJ venues in roughly the same location. And even then, other factors (floor, DJ, etc.) make comparisons difficult.

And of course, different people's lifestyles and disposable incomes will vary, so what seems worthwhile to some will be massively expensive for others.

The typical MJ weekday session is maybe at most £7 - any more than that and people probably won't go.

The typical weekend session may be up to £10 - but again, any more than that and people may not go (or the organisers will add in "extras" such as cabarets / competitions, etc.)

I do have some disposable income, so I'd happily pay £20, if I knew it was going to be good. But, you never know.

For most venues, on a weekend, I'd be hesitant about spending more than £10-12 - not because I couldn't afford more, but simply because if I didn't enjoy the night, I'd moan about how I'd been ripped-off.

But then, that could be just me liking a good old moan...

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    OK, maybe I might be willing, occasionally, to pay £15 for such a night as you describe. As long as
    a. The DJ played an endless succession of favourites personally approved & vetted by myself. And
    b. All my favourite leaders were ordered to be there and lined up for my (dancing) delectation. And
    c. I get first right of refusal over any other ladies that might be allowed in.

I've never been to Jango. Is it like that there?

I agree, £3 per hour is good value compared with most other forms of entertainment I can think of.
    well although (a) was slightly too fast for my liking -meaning not broken down enough by slower tracks, not that the fast ones were too fast and I certainly didn't get (c) I'd say Greenwich pretty much hit (b) on the button which made for a fab night, and well worth the money.... (can't even remember how much it was now)

All the men who were at Greenwich, plus purely Jango-esque music

Thread Information