Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern ceroc teachers/franchisees

The Oracle

Southern ceroc teachers/franchisees

Originally posted by Gus
    .... so I'll be just in the mood to post something REALLY contentious.

The idea has nearly taken form and this time the target is .... 'southern ceroc teachers/franchisees' ... that should stir up some controvesy

Ahh the power of the vitriol pen......
    Come on Gus - it's getting too quiet around here...

I'm game big man lets be having this contentious issue

Cool Contribution?

OK ... as my loyal audience expect me to ... ANOTHER contentious thread.....

Have you noticed that over the last month or so an explosion of interest from 'Southern' franchisees and teachers. At a quick count I think at least a dozen have joined the forum ... probably to tap into the idea and opinions that have been floating around ... BUT, strange thing ... if you add up ALL the contributions made I think there total contribution has been (.... Pause, builds atmosphere .. looks into envelope from judges .... wiats for drumroll) .... and their contributin has been ... NOTHING!! Zip, zero, nada, zilch! (OK .. one or two but thats nearly the same)

I admit that some of us, like myself, finds time weighing rather heavily on their hands at times and so can make rather more use of the Forum than others ... but given the combined experience of the Southern Ceroc great and good, it would have reasonable to expect some kind of comment, if even to try to head off all the 'slanderous' comments about attitiude and arrogance down south.

So WHY the deafening silence.

(Happy now Dave?)

The Oracle
    I'm happy now.

I'd noticed that a lot of teachers had joined lately as well. However my impression of Ceroc teachers is that they are such shy retiring types (like yourself) and would be too embarrassed to contribute anything.

David

Re: Contribution?

Originally posted by Gus

Have you noticed that over the last month or so an explosion of interest from 'Southern' franchisees and teachers. At a quick count I think at least a dozen have joined the forum ... probably to tap into the idea and opinions that have been floating around ...
    They all want a piece of the action. Ok, it's easy for us to gloat, but we have to be aware that being friendly, accomodating, popular, easy going, great fun, etc,etc doesn't come naturally to everyone. Some people have to read up on it and practise. If that means coming on the Scottish Ceroc forum for a few pointers then so be it

filthycute x x

B.T.C.

Originally posted by Gus

but given the combined experience of the Southern Ceroc great and good, it would have reasonable to expect some kind of comment, if even to try to head off all the 'slanderous' comments about attitiude and arrogance down south.

So WHY the deafening silence.

(Happy now Dave?)
    Maybe they don't read this site...or don't actually care that much what we say anyway ! We have heard from Lydia

It's been noted before that there does appear to be a different attitude in some of the London/southern clubs with a definite 'clique' of self confessed 'good' dancers which I haven't really found elsewhere. Maybe it sums up the attitude of 'if it doesn't happen down here it doesn't count' I certainly got that feeling at the Champs -even though some of the comments were meant to be humorous there was still that edge of - what do you northerners know ?? :reallymad

I don't know the teachers down there well enough to comment so maybe they have very good reasons for not contributing. They have the national one so perhaps they don't feel like joining in.

Do we want lots of 'southerners' taking over 'our' site Folk from Geordieland and slightly further south are partly Scottish anyway so they don't count

Beeter be careful next time I venture south...........but you're better known than me Gus......better be careful

Re: Re: Contribution?

Originally posted by bill foreman
    Beeter be careful next time I venture south...........but you're better known than me Gus......better be careful
    Be careful for what?? It can't get any worse ... I never get asked to dance down South anyway and there is always at least one ***** who does the "Oh they have Ceroc up North do they, but they're not that good are they?" I love to see the Northern dancers kick southern butt at the Champs

Its funny, for all the bad attitude down South, some of the REALLY good dancers have the best attitude. I think I've been asked to dance by Lydia more than the rest of the Southern population put together ... is there anyway of giving Viktor and Lydia sanctuary up North ( ) ... you know like witness protection ... bring them to places where arrogance doesn't rule ..... they're far too nice to have to be subjected to the Southern scene ...
    Oh .. while we're at it we could also rescue Dave and Lilly.

Right ... I've now insulted the entire Southern (Jessie) population .... if this doesn't provoke a response I'm going to take up something more exciting ... like Morris Dancing

Ok ok you get your response, I am a Southern Ceroc Franchisee, not a teacher.

It has to be said your comments on the cliques etc are true of some venues, but most are the same as they up in the foreign lands of Scotland., a friendly sociable place to be!!

Arrogance is countrywide not just a southern thing!!
    There are some fabulous dancers in london, but a recent visit to a popular London venue had me being looked up and down to check if I am worth dancing with!! Arrogance seem to stem for mthe women!!!

Ceroc's first venue was down south so surely this is where the feeling of elitism comes from. Head office is in London. Why would they head a nationwide company in none other than our capital city?

My venue is the friendliest around, our teacher is the friendliest around, just ask your teacher Alison for confirmation.

Come down south and sample the venues before passing judgement from behind your safe computer screen!!

We would be more than happy to see you at our venue and I am sure you would have a fantastic night.

Surely a Ceroc night is what you make it? Are you all really that insecure of your own dancing that you have to spend hours analysing other peoples? Get down here and have some fun and stop thinking we are stuck up or pretentious!!

I agree take Vik and Lydia up North!

While your at it take the whole of Salsa aswell!!

We won't Lynch you, most of us agree!! Arroganc eis not welcome in Ceroc venues especially when your a c*** dancer!

I await your comments!

Originally posted by Dan Hudson
    Maybe not, but I've only ever been refused dances in London just because the ladies in question didn't know me.... and before you think thats because I'm totaly useless I was a Ceroc teacher at the time ..... read that as you will.

Come down south and sample the venues before passing judgement from behind your safe computer screen!!
    I've danced at around 8 venues in the South East over the last 2/3 years and know a lot of the main dancers on the circuit. My comments are based on experience not supposition.

Surely a Ceroc night is what you make it? Are you all really that insecure of your own dancing that you have to spend hours analysing other peoples? Get down here and have some fun and stop thinking we are stuck up or pretentious!!
    A ceroc night is based on many things, the music, the venue the other dancers ... most of which are out of your control as an indivual. Most Ceroc venues (North and South) do a very good job of it. What I, and a few others, are picking on is the small but noticable section of dancvers who have an attitude which is out of line with the traditions of Ceroc. I'm not condeming ALL Southerners, just saying that this incidence is more noticeable down South than up North (just like the North has better standard of living, friendlier pubs, better football clubs etc. etc.)

I agree take Vik and Lydia up North!

While your at it take the whole of Salsa aswell!!
    Interesting comment ... could you explain what was going through your mind when you said this. V&L are the greatest ambassadors for Ceroc n the UK and are universally respected and admired. surely their foray in Salsa has only improved the style of Ceroc for us all?

I await your comments!
    :reallymad

I am happy to oblidge ... nice to know at least one Southern franchisee can find his way round a keyboard.

Thanks for the debate

My comments are on V&L are pure sarcism, I agree they are two of the greatest dancers in Ceroc. I just hate Salsa, partly coz I can't do it!!

It would be a pleasure to see you, come see the DJ

I thought the internet and computers were a new thing up north not down here?

Blog Entries
    I thought the internet and computers were a new thing up north not down here?
    They're driven by steam up there, Dan. Unlike the computers here in the West country, which are pulled by cows.

B.T.C.
    There are some fabulous dancers in london, but a recent visit to a popular London venue had me being looked up and down to check if I am worth dancing with!! Arrogance seem to stem for mthe women!!!
    I have to agree with Gus on this one as well........

I've been to about 20 Ceroc venues - and several organised by the 'competition' and some of the London clubs have been the only places I've been really aware of arrogance and even some of the local dancers are aware of it. As I said before even so called 'funny' remarks made at the Champs indicate that there is little respect for dancers outside London.

There are arrogant dancers all over the place (arrogant people) and has been noted on a different thread they are sometimes not the best dancers - although they normally think they are :p . I had some excellent dances in all the London clubs and few were with the 'elite' sitting by the stage

And to be fair why would some of the dancers there want to come out of London when there are so many venues and good dancers on your doorstep unless of course to enjoy northern hospitality and dance with some wonderful - and modest dancers.

Gus.......maybe they were looking you up and down cus they were astounded by your trousers ! Were you flashing at them ???

There are several southern Venues that display arrogance, venture further south than London and the attitude changes to a more friendly one.
    I think its partly down to the attitude of the teachers etc. If they are giving off an arrogant attitude then surely their following will think its the norm? Friendly, approachable teachers are less likely to have a pretentious venue are they not?

Some people believe if they are tought by the so called best teachers around that it makes them the best pupil around!!

Apologies to any non arrogant teachers, bu there are a few around and not just in London.

I wish I could comment on the hospitality of Ceroc in Scotland, but I am yet to venture that far north for fear of getting a nose bleed!!

The Oracle
    And to be fair why would some of the dancers there want to come out of London when there are so many venues and good dancers on your doorstep
    Although there are some very good dancers in London, there are plenty of bad ones as well. I don't think the overall standard is any different to anywhere else I've been. (Some of the ladies may say different - I don't really notice the standard of the men.)

One of the main reasons why London dancers don't venture far out of London is the hassle of travelling. Many people who live in London don't have a car, and rely on public transport. It is difficult to get to some of the popular London venues without a car, never mind outside of London.

Even with a car, it's not much better. We went to Croydon Ceroc a few months ago, and it took almost 90 minutes to get there. I don't usually mind driving that long to go dancing, but Croydon is only 13 miles away!

David

Originally posted by Gus
    Maybe not, but I've only ever been refused dances in London just because the ladies in question didn't know me.... and before you think thats because I'm totaly useless I was a Ceroc teacher at the time ..... read that as you will.
    There are a number of reasons why a lady may chose to refuse you a dance and your dancing abilities may not be one of them!

Originally posted by Amy
    There are a number of reasons why a lady may chose to refuse you a dance and your dancing abilities may not be one of them!
    Very true ... but (in defence of my battered ego) I would venture that the majority of these incidents were brought on by the lady thinking I wasn't good enough to dance with her .... if you've been around the venues Amy please admit that you've seen this behaviour?

Originally posted by Amy
    Apart from the fact that you are possibly just above these so-called-ladies and they feel intimidated, i really can't see any other eligible reason for refusing a dance with you Gus. I mean with a sweet face like that, and trousers like them and we won't even get into what a fabulous dancer you are!!!who could refuse??

If these people are allegedly "ladies" i'm resigning from that species.

filthycute x x

I wish I could comment on the hospitality of Ceroc in Scotland, but I am yet to venture that far north for fear of getting a nose bleed!!
    We eagerly await your arrival

Don't worry, i may be Resident Rottweiler, but my bite is worse than my dancing. Some southerners have managed to escape practically unscathed

filthycute x x

Ps. We're not arrogant...just MAd.

Re: Re: Contribution?

Maybe it sums up the attitude of 'if it doesn't happen down here it doesn't count' I certainly got that feeling at the Champs -even though some of the comments were meant to be humorous there was still that edge of - what do you northerners know ??

That would be why Ceroc Scotland won the Caberet then!

Aside of that issue, I would agree that there can be an attitude at the odd venue. I remember being warned about "Refusal Row" along the stage at Hammersmith Town Hall when I first started dancing, and soon found out how it got the name. But I would say that this is still only a very small minority of the dancers in London. I haven't really danced much outside of London, but I suspect its very unfair to Londoners to suggest that there is a higher population of dancers with the sort of attitude that is being talked about in this thread in London than there is in the rest of the country.

There maybe more dancers like that in London, but there are more dancers in London, so I suspect the percentages are roughly the same (ie very low).

Will (born in Manchester)

P.S. I only blank other dancers when I think they are just using me to get to Stevie Wong. :reallymad

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Will
    There maybe more dancers like that in London, but there are more dancers in London, so I suspect the percentages are roughly the same (ie very low).
    I agree, there are hundreds of extremely friendly dancers in London, and everywhere across the UK for that matter. I am aware of the a few people being turned down, and in fairness, it can be really upsetting when you are used to a venue where everyone will dance with anyone when asked!
    Have to say that I have been turned down a couple of times myself, but funnily enough, never when I was wearing the kilt!

After all that, I would have to agree with FilthyCute, that Scotland is the nicest, friendliest and MAdest place in the UK (world?)

Franck.

P.S. To come back to the original point about the recent members of the Forum not contributing, I would say give them time. The Forum is now well established and very busy. It can be daunting for anyone just joining. I would in fact recommend that anyone reads for a few days or even a week before posting, just to get a feel for the dynamics of the place!

Thread Information