Thread: Alexander Technique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alexander Technique

Has anyone on the forum had any experience of the Alexander Technique? Do you know anyone who has?

It's the AT awareness week this week and there was an article in yesterday's paper which got me thinking about it. Trouble is, it's £25 per session and apparently most people need between 20 and 30 sessions - that's not an insignificant financial input! I have a fair amount of trouble with back ache & joint pain and from the article it sounded as if AT would be beneficial.

If anyone has any experiences to share, please do - either on this thread or by PM.

Many thanks!

J

The Oracle

Re: Alexander Technique

I know people who swear by it, but I've never tried it.

I have done Pilates, and this has really helped my back problems. I think this can be cheaper if you join a class. Warning - it is hard work!

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

I have done Pilates, and this has really helped my back problems. I think this can be cheaper if you join a class. Warning - it is hard work!

David
    Ditto - just what David said. If I ever get backache I try and do some pilates-type exercises and it really seems to work. I've never been to a formal class though - I just have a video and do it at home.

With pilates, I found you start off thinking, Well, there's not much to this, is there ...? And then you realise how you're supposed to do it properly!
    Rachel

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Years ago I had some lessons. They were in the form of evening classes held at a local school. As it was a group class as opposed to individual one to one lessons it was much cheaper although I guess you'd get more out of individual lessons. It was a good introduction to it though so if I were you I'd look into this option.

B.T.C.

Never been to a class or had 'proper' sessions but therapist did get me to do a few of the stretches because of my back problems. Did help but as you say, it's a lot of money. Must be a book on it and photos to show you what to do.

Some of the movements were the same as the most recent therapist showed me as well - just basic twists and strecthes to work the lower back muscles. Not very helpful I'm afraid but at least it does seem to work.

I found this book of exercises really helped .... and they don't take long to do

http://www.thebackcoach.co.uk/html/5...lthy_back.php3

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

David

Ditto basically. I swear by Pilates, do an awful lot of it and it really helps the problems with my knees. Know several people with severe back problems who are significantly better when doing pilates, but as with AT its a 'for life' approach.

Well after all the pilates recommendations I looked into it and there is a class at a reasonably convenient time at a gym en route home from work - so I'll give it a go (especially after having to sit out for most of Amir's fantastic class last night because my back was hurting ).

However, I think I'll wait until after JM - don't want to discover new muscle groups a few days before our heat and then not be able to move!! At least if my back hurts I can take pain killers!!

Thanks for the advice!

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    ........til after JM ....
    Good luck Jayne - sorry I can't be there to support you - I am working (helping out) at MJC -if you dance as you did at the comps you wont need the luck

(apologies for going off thread)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Hi All,

I just thought I would make a quick post to let you know how I've been getting on....

I'm a complete Pilates convert!

Words like "liberating" and "miracle cure" aren't an exaggeration!

After having backache for more than a decade I went along to Pilates for the first time nearly two months ago. Since then I've been virtually pain free! However, I had to miss a couple of consecutive weeks' lessons recently and the backache returned - particularly yesterday. So I went to Pilates last night and by the time I left there was not a trace of discomfort left! Hurrah!

So thank you very much to all those who posted & spoke to me about Pilates & AT.

And if there's anyone reading this who also has problems with their back - I really encourage you to find a Pilates class. As David said, it's hard work - particularly when you realise how it *should* be done (as Rachel said)!

J

Thread Information