Thread: Thanks

Thanks

Just thought I would explain my absence from the forum for the last week: As some may know, my father has been un-well for a while now - I was un-sure if I would be able to make the Scottish Ceroc Championships {...but I did - thanks one and all. I now have a new definition for "hot"...} I went across to Glasgow from the party on Saturday night and stayed with my folks. I headed back up to Aberdeen on the Sunday, and got the phone call I had been expecting, and dreading, as soon as I stepped in the door: My Dad had passed away.

So thank you to all the lovely people who danced with me at the Champs, the amazing people who we were all entertained by and everyone who helped me keep my mind on (much) more pleasant things.

Now I'm back, what have I missed?

Re: Thanks

Sorry to hear about your dad Gadget. Will you be at Ceroc tonight or is it Wednesday this week?
    Kay.

Sorry for your news Gadg Take care mate, see you in Perth, Apey.

Very sorry for your loss. I know how difficult times like this are and my thoughts are with you and your family.

See you very soon I hope.

Pammy

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

sorry to hear that Gadget.

See you dressed as an orange dragon in September if not before

very sad for your loss Gadget.I lost my mum a couple of years ago and I'm still dealing with the estate- hope you don't have all that to do!
    FWIW it DOES get easier as time goes on
    regards
    Neil

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by latinlover
    FWIW it DOES get easier as time goes on

And although much of what you will hear from people will seem clichéd, that shouldn't devalue it, or the thoughts behind it.

Greg

A heartfelt thank you to everyone who has passed on there regards.

{skip the rest of this post if you are emotional...}
    I did have to sort out re-directing mail, fielding phone calls, insurance, banks, pensions... you don't really acknowledge how deep the roots of your identity go until something like this happens. My brother "found" him and had to break it to my mum. He had to arrange the ambulance, undertaker and funeral stuff (he was there - I was in Aberdeen). Something I didn't envy him.

One of the things that I was touched by was the show of support we received - the crematorium was full and cards filled every flat surface of the front room. {Over seventy cards and only about 4 duplicate pictures... I was impressed} He touched a lot of lives and left an indelible mark in them. What more can you ask for out of life? (except perhaps a bit more time and a bit less pain.)

With my particular philosophy on life, I have nothing to do but accept it and move on. I greave that he has passed and will no longer have a direct effect on my world, or on anyone else's. However I see the shape he has made in other people's worlds and know that his was a positive influence that will live on for a long time yet. I take pride in this and only hope that my life will in some way echo his.

It was only a week past his 60th birthday (he just got out of hospital in time for it having been taken in due to weakness and pain) He was in a lot of pain & on morpheme to dull it down a bit. At the end it was quite quick: internal bleeding leading to drastic drop in blood pressure. He must have known because he took off all his rings and necklaces that evening.
    The thing that gets me is this: While I was on holiday my daughter (his grand-daughter) went into one of these pottery barns and said that she wanted to paint something for her granddad's birthday. We spent a few hours painting a mug - and waited a week for it to be posted out to us once it was fired: I took it with me that weekend, intending to hand it to him. He was so drained that his eyes fluttered open and rolled closed again at the sound of my voice; he weakly raised his hand in acknowledgement when I said I was leaving. I left the mug on his bedside table.
    I don't even know if he saw it before he passed away.

Thank you for listening.
    I'm going out dancing tonight - I intend to enjoy myself. So don't even try to pull me back down to earth

Blog Entries

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Gadget. I also lost my dad last week, so I know exactly what you're going through. We had the funeral yesterday, and it was incredibly comforting to meet up with so many people whose lives had been touched by knowing Dad. I hope it was the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ......./snip/....With my particular philosophy on life, I have nothing to do but accept it and move on. .....
    Having lost both parents and my brother and can feel the pain you are going through at present, and my heart feels for you. To loose someone so young (as I did with my brother) it is a hurt and anger which is hard to describe. Keep hold of all those lovely memories and keep them alive for your children.

Lynda

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please accept my sincere condolences, gadget and Lou!

I lost my last Grandparent last year and my little sister had a baby of her own and somehow it felt like we'd all moved up a notch I'm so close to my parents, the thought of loosing one of them is too unbearable, to even contemplate.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information