View Poll Results: What kept you coming back to Ceroc (MJ) as a beginner ???

Voters
39. This poll is closed
  • The Teacher made me feel welcome and not out of place

12 30.77%
  • The Taxi Dancers really helped me learn quickly

9 23.08%
  • The DJ / Music just inspired me to move my body

1 2.56%
  • The men there really looked after me

3 7.69%
  • The women there really looked after me

6 15.38%
  • Where else can you have such a great night for the money ?

3 7.69%
  • The standard of dancers kept me interested - I just had to go back for more

4 10.26%
  • Eh...I though this was Line Dancing - Doh................

1 2.56%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginners - How do we keep them ???

Smile Re: Beginners - How do we keep them ???

Quote Originally Posted by ianhadling

Unfortunately, since 1994, I've come across only one teacher that has specifically taught leading and following.

Several of the beginners I have talked to at Nothampton and Bedford have said how they would like to improve their leading/following, not just learn new moves, but they don't know how. They want to understand the dynamics of what is going on, and feel the dance. I think the sooner they reach this point the more likely they are to stay. It's when our connection is good that the fun really starts (and it is safer fun too).

They have a refresher on the beginners class during the first freestyle but I'm not sure whether the taxi dancers are trained to teach these details. And is it their job anyway?

I found David and Lily's exercises in lead and follow really useful. I would rather join in a class practising that, than do 4 intermediate moves that could hurt me because the lead is too strong.

In 1998 I started Ceroc at Northampton and Bedford where I was made most welcome. Since then I have tried to dance with beginners, but I have to protect my shoulder so I choose my beginners with care, unless they have chosen me first......Two of them have gone on to become Ceroc teachers and one was even a Jive Master finalist last year. So you never know ........

Commercial Operator

Re: Beginners - How do we keep them ???

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Several of the beginners I have talked to at Nothampton and Bedford have said how they would like to improve their leading/following, not just learn new moves, but they don't know how. They want to understand the dynamics of what is going on, and feel the dance. I think the sooner they reach this point the more likely they are to stay. It's when our connection is good that the fun really starts (and it is safer fun too).
    Get them to come to Amir's class on a Wednesday at Hipsters, especially the first Wednesday of the month. Amir teaches lead and follow brilliantly, not a bouncy hand in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    You've taken the words right out of my mouth. I was stunned to hear the demos were being dropped, and have had several arguments with Marc about it - but, of course, he's just doing as he's been told.
    Well, we still do demos down here in Fleet, but then may be that's because we're not 'Ceroc' but Ceroc Plus
    Last edited by RobC; 13th-June-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    Well, we still do demos down here in Fleet, but then may be that's because we're not 'Ceroc' but Ceroc Plus
    How about a new class called Ceroc Minus...

..minus the bouncy hand, skippy feet, free hand swinging above shoulder height, dancing in circles, smoking...

..one day, in Camelot

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    ..minus the bouncy hand, skippy feet, free hand swinging above shoulder height, dancing in circles
    Most Ceroc classes I have attended did not include any of the above.
    I am pretty sure some dancers / teachers have that kind of style, but I fail to understand why, in a thread about encouraging Beginners to keep dancing, you feel the need to deride a particular style.
    One of the main things that attracted me and kept me passionate about Ceroc (and other MJ organizations) is the inclusiveness. Any and every style is great as long as you're enjoying yourself and not hurting / causing discomfort to your partner and the other couples on the floor.
    There have been a few comments recently referring to 'bouncy hands' in relation to Ceroc, where do those rumours start? and why?
    Is there a teacher somewhere who somehow believe they hold the abolute 'truth' when it comes to style?

Let's not discourage all the new people out there who started dancing and might have a bouncier style and, so far, really enjoyed it!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    Most Ceroc classes I have attended did not include any of the above.

-snip-

Let's not discourage all the new people out there who started dancing and might have a bouncier style and, so far, really enjoyed it!
    Sorry

I hope that most people will know I was joking. As Franck says, I've also never been to a class where this style is taught. But I did dance that way for a year or two and thought I was fab - I've even got a video of myself doing it in the 1997 LeJive Champs that I lend people when they say "you're a natural dancer, I'd never be able to dance like you"

I've also got a video of Nigel Anderson dancing that way in the 1995 LeJive champs - Nigel is paying me not to show that to anyone

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Is this the same LeJive video with Adam (CerocMetro) and the lovely Tezi...?

If so it's inspirational (of something).......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Get them to come to Amir's class on a Wednesday at Hipsters, especially the first Wednesday of the month. Amir teaches lead and follow brilliantly, not a bouncy hand in sight
    Will whisper that suggestion to them. Amir is doing a great job, but I'm not sure if they'll drive 120 miles on a weekday though. They need to get to the next level of obsessiveness for that. Catch 22 eh?

Commercial Operator

Will whisper that suggestion to them. Amir is doing a great job, but I'm not sure if they'll drive 120 miles on a weekday though. They need to get to the next level of obsessiveness for that. Catch 22 eh?
    Most weeks I drive over 160 miles to go to Hipsters. This week I didn't do it because I was concerned about the traffic caused by the tube strike. Under Par and Mrs Par and me, Mrs McG and our friend Jan went to a local class instead. The quote of the night was "tonight has reminded us why we travel all the way to Hipsters"...

..silver lining

The quote of the night was "tonight has reminded us why we travel all the way to Hipsters"...
    ...and that would be?

The Forum Legend

They like driving.

Obviously.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    They like driving.

Obviously.

Trampy
    We do actually! Miss Conduct and I fill the car with friends and have a real laugh on the way down to London, and blueberry muffins and earl grey tea on the way back. One guy came out with 4 of us women and said he had enjoyed the drive even more than the dance!
    We all thought huh?

One guy came out with 4 of us women and said he had enjoyed the drive even more than the dance!
    It's the company - what guy could resist

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    It's the company - what guy could resist
    It might have been the combination of the 4 women AND their muffins, that made it so enjoyable!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    It might have been the combination of the 4 women AND their muffins, that made it so enjoyable!
    Now now Lory!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ...and that would be?
    1. Quality teaching, the teacher last night was reading from Q cards most of the time and actually during the display of a small dip, droppped his partner on the stage. He was unprepared and did not know the names of the moves nor did he give basic safety advice re the dip move.

2, Music. AAAAAAGGHHHH!!! I never want to hear another set like that.

On the plus side everybody was very friendly, there were a lots of beginners there they've obviously been out recruiting recently, they had a lovely welcoming staff and the hall was nice.

A lot of beginners at the class the other night. I thought freestyle might be crowded, but most went home early. It is common with beginners. But why?
    I cannot remember the last time I paid to see a film or play and walked out early. I like to get my full moneys worth.
    I think they come out of beginners refresher class, they have their dance with a taxi dancer, they watch a bit of freestyle, but do not feel part of the scene. They figure. nothing more to see, and go home.

I think perhaps we should give them something to look forward to, "lets just wait until the ........"

I think perhaps we should have, possibly two, mini-events in the freestyle. They could be non-dance, such as free ice-cream, or a non-intrusive raffle, (drawn by a beginner? Prize wine, chocolates or an admit one or 2 beginners admit ones?), or get the beginners to judge "best dressed", or best Taxi.

Or they could be dance related, like a demo, or a one-track competition.

I think that the longer the beginners stay the more at home they will feel, and it would not take much of a reason to get them to stay just a bit longer.

The venue has a stage - how about a couple being invited to use it towards the end of an evening (three tracks from the end?) for one dance; sort of a cross between a demo, a show case and a competition. Announced, but not expected to clear the floor for it or stop your own dancing.

Potential problems would be:
    - falling off stage
    - no interest
    - gawkers blocking dance floor space
    - removes 'freestyle' time
    - could stroke or dent egos and be another 'elite' division to overcome
    - too much pressure applied to perform may have the opposite effect
    - more organising for the venue manager
    - teacher & venue manager have to 'buy in' to the idea (& Taxis /DJs to a lesser extent)

Potential advantages:
    - people may stay untill the end of the evening to see it
    - dancers get a taste of the limelight before entering competitions
    - non-competative dancers can get a chance to show off
    - all abilities and people could ask to perform
    - if selected the week before (or even at the start of the night), the couple would have incentive to improve and practice together; may lead to better over-all dancers in the venue

I think it could have a long term plus to a venue, and encourage people to stay.

Thumbs down for raffle or any interuption to normal "dancing time". Same with anything that would 'force' attention onto beginners, like asking them to do anything other than dance/learn/have fun (ie judge this or that)

Perhaps beginners could collect a free "admit one" on their exit - these tickets only being available after 9:45pm (or 15min before the end of the night). Or is this too obvious a subterfuge?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    A lot of beginners at the class the other night. I thought freestyle might be crowded, but most went home early. It is common with beginners. But why?
    In my experiences, it's a confidense thing, especially the new guys. Until they have the confidense to ask a complete stranger to dance, knowing full well that they only know 4 moves and will be repeating those 4 continuously throught the duration of the track .... and if it's a better dancer, will they get bored, not like me, never want to dance with me again, ..... oh, better stick to other beginners, but when we dance, it doesn't seem to work .... wonder which one of us is doing it wrong .... better just sit at the side and watch.

Thats one major reason for having taxi dancers, to help build up the beginner's confidense.

When I was a new beginner I used to leave pretty fast because there was only so much I could take on board at one go. I went on my own and it was a bit stressful so after an hour or so I'd had all I could handle for one night.

I don't think it's unusual for people to feel a bit out of their depth at their first go at a new activity, and want to retreat to the pub after a while.

What kept me coming back was some really friendly and encouraging taxi dancers who used to grab me for a dance each week.

Thread Information