1 1.45%
  • Fancy the teacher!

6 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you go to Ceroc?

Re: Why do you go to Ceroc?

Originally posted by Gus
    ..... and this requires knowledge of why people go to Ceroc in the first place.
    Part of the equation for me is that I like to entertain, even if it is just an audience of 1. Exhibitionism is a motive for some.

Artistic self-expression is definitely a motive for some too. MJ can be an art-form.

I also like to help people learn, and love to see the pleasure and the confidence that people can gain through Ceroc. A lot of people come to Ceroc after a bad relationship, and it can help to transform them.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Dancing for me is a passion. I love dancing, Meeting new people, checking out new venues etc. after 2 meer years of dancing I'm hooked. Have been dancing every night since Camber does this mean im a danceaholic?

Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Dancing for me is a passion. I love dancing, Meeting new people, checking out new venues etc. after 2 meer years of dancing I'm hooked. Have been dancing every night since Camber does this mean im a danceaholic?
    Yes. However, you've a way to go yet before you get to "obsessed"

I came back from Rock Bottoms and was dancing for 10 of the following 11 nights...

Not sure how sensible it was, though. I've cut it back just a touch since then. RB tends to have that effect on me...

Chris

The Forum Legend
    Of course Chris, you've a way to go yet before you get to "obsessed"

My 'record', is 46 nights/days dancing in a row Is that what 'obsessed' is?

Steve

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Yes. However, you've a way to go yet before you get to "obsessed"

I came back from Rock Bottoms and was dancing for 10 of the following 11 nights...

Not sure how sensible it was, though. I've cut it back just a touch since then. RB tends to have that effect on me...

Chris

My main problem with getting out is my work I have to do Late shifts at some point during the weeks but have managed to swing it just lately. Aint it just a shame that people need caring for 24/7 or I would be out every night!!
    Have never been rock bottoms so will have to try it out some time

Originally posted by TheTramp
    My 'record', is 46 nights/days dancing in a row Is that what 'obsessed' is?
    Gasp....

I guess it is...

I bet even the McGregster can't beat that.

Chris

Why isn't there a category for..."I go because I like dancing" why does it have to categorise attainment and ability.

Originally posted by Forte
    Why isn't there a category for..."I go because I like dancing" why does it have to categorise attainment and ability.
    Hmmm...

Mostly I think, it's pretty much a given that we like dancing. But liking to dance isn't enough to explain why we choose Jive.

We could choose ballet, jazz, tap... ballroom, etc, etc.

The question might be:

"What is it about the combination of the dance, the music, the social scene that attracts you to modern jive (and Ceroc in particular, if you like) rather than (or as well as) other types of dancing?"

There's no single answer to this - different aspects will appeal to different people and at different times.

For myself, I wouldn't dance if the people were a bunch of miserable buggers, nor would I dance if I couldn't get a feeling of achievement from it. The complexity makes it interesting; I also love to teach, so teaching it within my limits of competence adds a lot to the kick I get. It also brings with it a broad spectrum of emotional stuff too - from very good when it all goes well , to very bad when it doesn't.

So I get a complete mental, physical, emotional and occasionally even spiritual workout from it all.

Certainly reminds me that I'm alive

Chris

As usual I agree with what you just said. (Is it because we have the same birthday?)

Originally posted by Forte
    Is it because we have the same birthday?
    I dunno. Possibly. Are you a typical Scorpio?

Not that I think astrology is anything more than a way of parting suckers from their money, you understand

My answer was 'to meet friends' - that was the most honest answer I could give, though I'm less sure it was in the spirit of what was asked . . .

When I occasionally come out of my rabbit hole to ceroc in Scotland there has to be a very special reason. I can see my friends (as opposed to dance buddies) outside of ceroc.

This last week I went on Tuesday and Thursday (Monday I was organising a social night, nothing to do with dance) as someone who is a friend of mine was leaving the country (probably permanently) and this would be her last week at Ceroc (those are the only nights in Edinburgh, and she doesn't dance in Dundee). We caught up for lunch before that, but I met her through dancing and wanted to 'ceroc' with her before she left.

Time before that was a practice half hour before going down south to stay with my friends for a weekend which included dancing.

Time before that was when Amir Giles was up (I probably don't know him well enough to call him a close friend but going along to say hi was a good enough reason).

Time before that was at the beginning of the year - reasons then were more along the lines of it being very socially enjoyable and easy to get there.

When I go dancing in England it's cos I love dancing. If I want to get better, I either go to someone's classes I can relate to 95% (instead of say 5%) or I go to somewhere that has learning to dance well as the objective, rather than the social side as the main objective.

I'd say I'm fairly obsessive about dancing, but not obsessive about ceroc (I love good wine but aren't obsessive about beaujolais, even if that's all that's on sale.)

I think by and large James Cronin got it right - "The average Briton does not want to look stupid, but can't be bothered with dance classes. Ceroc is a breath of fresh air for guys, as it's easy to learn, looks cool and is supported by short lessons before the club begins."

If so many people really want to dance 'really well' (and are prepared to drill rather than 'have fun') why isn't there more demand for (and provision of) style classes or 'dance class' style instruction (as someone described NZ - "this is what you do with your body - do it")?

As to Franck's point about some dancers moving on to dance seriously (or teach) and then not acknowledging Ceroc, I don't think that's quite fair.

Some people learnt to dance and came across Ceroc later and adapted their dance skills; other people's first experience of dancing was Ceroc, and then they started developing skills more seriously.

Most of the people in the second category, if they haven't become Ceroc teachers (remained members of the fold), have been officially viewed in a fairly hostile manner by Ceroc HQ, instead of being proud of them like children that have grown up and gone on to do their own thing. Many independents are just as protective of their 'unique' position as well, it's just that you don't see the same friction usually.
    Last edited by Chris; 22nd-November-2003 at 06:31 AM.

There is another common motive missing from the list - to try something new, the thrill seekers.

These are often the ones that are trying to do moves before they are ready, and often are a bit reckless. They usually do not last too long before they are on to the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I think by and large James Cronin got it right - "The average Briton does not want to look stupid, but can't be bothered with dance classes. Ceroc is a breath of fresh air for guys, as it's easy to learn, looks cool and is supported by short lessons before the club begins."

Do you think the above IS more applicable to guys? We blokes are without doubt more worried about looking stupid, and we do seem to struggle more with the basics (generally speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by filthycute
    Well i'm not voting for fancying my teacher!!!!!

Elaine, your beautiful hun, but i just don't look at you that way

filthycute x x

Ah...but now James is qualified..?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    Do you think the above IS more applicable to guys? We blokes are without doubt more worried about looking stupid, and we do seem to struggle more with the basics (generally speaking).

That's the way it worked for me when I was starting off. Before I started going along to Le Roc I thought I'd make a right fool of myself, and that was a concern until the lesson started. Now, 7 months later and with much more confidence, I don't care if I make a fool of myself or not

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Why do you go to Ceroc?

Quote Originally Posted by filthycute
    Well i'm not voting for fancying my teacher!!!!!

Elaine, your beautiful hun, but i just don't look at you that way

filthycute x x

'scuse me.........The Daily Mirror (a great stalwart of truth, honesty and objective reporting.... ), clearly explains that it is easy for students to fall in love with the teacher......

I don't think you're making enough effort.....

In fact,

with only six...yes a measly six people declaring that they fancy the teacher from 972 members, I don't think anyone is making the effort.....

Can we please start making an effort please - the teachers (male or female) are babe / bloke magnets and should duly treated as such........

Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    'scuse me.........The Daily Mirror (a great stalwart of truth, honesty and objective reporting.... ), clearly explains that it is easy for students to fall in love with the teacher......

I don't think you're making enough effort.....

In fact,

with only six...yes a measly six people declaring that they fancy the teacher from 972 members, I don't think anyone is making the effort.....

Can we please start making an effort please - the teachers (male or female) are babe / bloke magnets and should duly treated as such........

And it would make Andy's campaign to find me a date a lot easier

Thread Information