Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputations dustbin

Blog Entries

Re: Reputations dustbin

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    So where's the reputation thing gone? I had some comments yesterday and now when I go to UserCP they're gone.
    I thought it was just me and maybe the comments disappear after one day. If people have made them about me, I'd rather see them, but overall I'd quite like the comments not to be anonymous. At least that way people would only post what they were prepared to stand behind.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Hm, not sure yet if I like this .... The forum's seen many instances of people getting overtly agressive even when they're not anonymous (though it can sometimes make very good reading!!). Imagine what kind of comments people might make if they know their identity will be kept secret.

Actually, yeah, keep the reputations, but scrub the anonymity - that's my opinion ...
    Well. The only good thing is that the only people able to see the reputation comments are the person who sent them, and the person they were sent to.

Of course, Franck will be able to see who sent any reputation, so if you do get nasty comments, you could PM him, and he can find out who sent the comment, and 'have a word'.

I don't think that there would be a lot of people who abuse this - after all, (almost) all the people here are friendly - and mostly any unpleasantness is just a consequence of people posting before they think (rather than any actual intention to upset people). And people seem to be thinking more, since there have been hardly any unpleasant posts recently.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    You can actually view them....

If you can find the actual post that they are attached to. If you click on the scales in your own post, it doesn't let you attach reputation to yourself, but you can see if anyone has left you any comments.

So, that would depend on just how much you post, whether or not you can find the specific ones that other people comment on.... (for some people, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack)
    That would take ages! Also I have noticed from another thread that someone has been handing out neg rep points for posts made years ago. I think if the comments remain, then they need to be more accessible.

The Forum Legend

I think that people don't look at when the posts were made. So, if someone comments on a very old thread, dragging it back, then someone goes in and reads it, they just read the posts, without reading the date of posting.

Which means that they make a comment based on what they are reading then, without even noticing that they post was 2 years old.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Which means that they make a comment based on what they are reading then, without even noticing that they post was 2 years old.
    I know this happens. But I still think that either the option to comment at all should be removed, or it should be accessible to the person - preferably not anonymously. Comments aside - the person should be able to view the rep points, positive or negative, in a list according to the post - so that people can see what it was they said that prompted the points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Comments aside - the person should be able to view the rep points, positive or negative, in a list according to the post - so that people can see what it was they said that prompted the points.
    Yesterday when the comments could be viewed on the User CP page, it was possible to see which post they related to.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Divissima
    Yesterday when the comments could be viewed on the User CP page, it was possible to see which post they related to.
    Where are they now??

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Where are they now??
    Guessing that Franck disabled them last night...

Trampy

Yep - that's what I think should be brought back - either that or the option to comment be removed. How many people are going to trawl through all their posts to see if any comments have been made every time their rep points total changes?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I thought it was just me and maybe the comments disappear after one day. If people have made them about me, I'd rather see them, but overall I'd quite like the comments not to be anonymous. At least that way people would only post what they were prepared to stand behind.
    I stand by my anonymous 'sexy hairstyle' comment And my 'very talented monkey' one to theTramp

aha Franck has just added it back again with the users who left the comments - apparantly Will hates smurfs

The Forum Legend

Interestingly, I have two added in reputation thingies, which are grey - ie, neither adding, or taking away from my reputation.

Since neither of them have comments, I have to wonder what the point was. Or indeed how that was done...

Trampy

Whoops!

Guys,

I have small confession. This new software encouraged me out of forum obscurity. When I saw this "Reputation" thing, I wanted to find out how it worked, so I thought I'd experiment by SLAMMING The Tramp! (what else was I gonna do?)

I was all set to disaprove of each one of his several thousand post and make his reputation like that of the Beubonic Plague, when I was told I had to spread reputations around before I could "re-diss" the Tramp. So I just found a long thread from way back as I thought it would contain lots of names and hopefully most were now longer around. So I got a long thread from 2002 and just started firing off random reputations at people without even reading what the post was. "Mint Sauce" to Sheepman, "I Hate Smurfs" to DS, and a plethora of others, (nothing non-humerous / serious / nasty / or viscious though, so if anyone has them, it ain't me) So don't worry, no-one hates you, its just my arrested development.

I confess my inequities and now fully expect my reputation to fall below that of Osama-bin-Laden. Probably best if I return to forum obscurity after this little incedent.

An Eclectic Toaster

Looks like the reputations comments are no longer anonymous! Ooo Franck, that might cause trouble

I had 4 and none were from women Well, except CJ

And the identity of the bloke who dissed me about my old views Will remain anonymous

The Forum Legend

Re: Whoops!

Have to admit that I also marked a couple of people with disapproving reputations.

Nothing personal. Was done just in experimenting to find out how the whole system worked.

So, I blame Franck for not putting in any explanation, so that I wouldn't need to experiment

I'll be nice in future. Promise

Trampy

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    And the identity of the bloke who dissed me about my old views Will remain anonymous

Trampy

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    I confess my inequities and now fully expect my reputation to fall below that of Osama-bin-Laden. Probably best if I return to forum obscurity after this little incedent.
    Awww.

Don't leave Will. We'll miss you.

(If only just for the amusement value!!)

Trampy

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    aha Franck has just added it back again with the users who left the comments - apparantly Will hates smurfs
    Ok guys, you'll have to bear with me over the next few days / weeks as we see what works etc...

The consensus seemed that rep votes / comments should not be anonymous, so I have put them back in now (it will only display the latest 20 comments in your user cp). I have also made it that they are no longer anonymous.

I am still unsure about the whole 'reputations' concept, but I think that if we use it sensibly, it could really improve the Forum.

As Tramp says, don't take it too seriously, especially when you get marked down, just accept that not everyone agrees with your views or simply they are being facetious!

The current system is fairly complex, but crucially, you can only vote 10 times in any 24hour period, so use your powers judiciously and don't waste them.

Moreover, you cannot vote for the same person again until you have given points to another 15 members (to avoid artificially building up - or down - any individual).

For your vote to register, you need to have posted a minimum of 30 posts, and you need to have 10 reputation points yourself.
    The longer you have been on the Forum, the higher your reputation, and the more you have posted, the more weight your vote carries, so for example someone who was on the Forum since day one would give (or take away) at least 6 points per vote.

I will probably change things again in response to feedback over the next few days.

Thanks for all the reports (good and bad) it makes a huge difference and I really appreciate your patience (and enthusiasm) over the recent changes!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Guys, I have small confession. ....
    I see ... now, is that, 'small', as in 'huge', 'irredemable', 'scandalous', ...???
    R.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    and the more you have posted, the more weight your vote carries
    Ooh. How much weight do my votes carry then??

As much weight as I'm carrying??

Trampy

I was all set to disaprove of each one of his several thousand post and make his reputation like that of the Beubonic Plague, when I was told I had to spread reputations around before I could "re-diss" the Tramp. So I just found a long thread from way back as I thought it would contain lots of names and hopefully most were now longer around. So I got a long thread from 2002 and just started firing off random reputations at people without even reading what the post was. "Mint Sauce" to Sheepman, "I Hate Smurfs" to DS, and a plethora of others...
    V good! Caught out tho!

Thread Information