Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: New version of Forum software

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: New version of Forum software

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsey
    Hey where's the rest of the pages gone? I just had a notification that Andy said something about naked men and Gold membership, came in via the link to take a look and it wasn't showing at all. the very last post showing now is the one from Andy saying about sending his £10 etc.
    I split the thread Bardsey, as you were a tad off topic It's now in Chit Chat and entitled 'New members play with their features'

Commercial membership

Commercial membership
    This level of subscription is available to anyone who runs / promotes events or classes. The extra level of service allows you to start threads in the Social events area (to advertise specific events), .....
    So what's to stop us from starting a new thread in the Social events area at the moment (to advertise specific events) ?

An extra £140/year seems a bit steep just to be able to add to the forum's calendar and start threads in the social events area. What else do you get for the extra money Franck ?
    Last edited by RobC; 11th-June-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey where's the rest of the pages gone? I just had a notification that Andy said something about naked men and Gold membership, came in via the link to take a look and it wasn't showing at all. the very last post showing now is the one from Andy saying about sending his £10 etc.

Any ideas why, Franck?
    The posts were moved by a very efficient moderator to a new thread: Premium members play with new features
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Blog Entries

Hi Bardsey - they gave us a breakaway threat in Chit Chat....

See you there. D'oh - pipped at the post by Franck!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I split the thread Bardsey, as you were a tad off topic It's now in Chit Chat and entitled 'New members play with their features'
    yeah that's me all over Emma, always going off at a tangent

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

yeah that's me all over Emma, always going off at a tangent
    No worries, it's what this place is all about! x

The Forum Legend

Re: Commercial membership

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    So what's to stop us from starting a new thread in the Social events area at the moment (to advertise specific events) ?

An extra £140/year seems a bit steep just to be able to add to the forum's calendar and start threads in the social events area. What else do you get for the extra money Franck ?
    Probably nothing. But in the not too distant future (might have happened already), no-one will be able to start a new thread in the social events, unless they are commercial members....

£150 a year is only £12 a month. Most people would think that maybe isn't a lot to advertise to all the people who read the forum (and the number is growing), who are specific targets for the advertising. How much does it cost to run an advert in a newspaper once a month, which might bring in a couple of new people. To be able to advertise to a specific audience - it only needs to bring in one new couple a month to your event (who wouldn't make it normally) to start being profitable.

Trampy

Notice that the reps are back to anonymous again now (unless signed of course).

Also I see I am once again a 'senior'!

Question Re: Commercial membership

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Probably nothing. But in the not too distant future (might have happened already), no-one will be able to start a new thread in the social events, unless they are commercial members....
    This is heading for being tricky. If I know about something good I like to tell people about it. Emma's Ceroc Central fun nights and the Jook Jive events being recent examples.

A simple question to a dance god / goddess, asking if they are going to be attending event X, or about a teacher or DJ, answered in the affirmative could bring in dozens of people. It is too easy to contrive such a conversation. It is too easy to see contrivance where there was none.

One answer is for everybody to pay, and for the forum to remain as loose as it is now. We all stand to benefit from this discourse. This would deter people from joining.

As I said - tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by biddjiver
    A simple question to a dance god / goddess, asking if they are going to be attending event X, or about a teacher or DJ, answered in the affirmative could bring in dozens of people. It is too easy to contrive such a conversation. It is too easy to see contrivance where there was none.
    If I'm reading it right, you would still be able to post under existing threads, just not submit any new threads - so just find the thread that relates to the night in question and ask there.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp

£150 a year is only £12 a month. Most people would think that maybe isn't a lot to advertise to all the people who read the forum (and the number is growing), who are specific targets for the advertising. How much does it cost to run an advert in a newspaper once a month, which might bring in a couple of new people. To be able to advertise to a specific audience - it only needs to bring in one new couple a month to your event (who wouldn't make it normally) to start being profitable.

Trampy
    As the readers of the Forum are spaced all over the country I think the commercial mebership is probably most suited to the larger events which people travel some distance to. Competitions, weekends, holidays, etc would get their £150 back in no time.

To suggest some method of getting around this charge is to misunderstand the spirit of the Forum and the reasons behind the charges. IMHO Franck will not make a profit from the charges he is making: at best he might just cover his costs. But others are profiting from advertising their events here. Isn't it fair that those people who use the Forum for commercial purposes, and profit from that use, contribute to the cost of running the Forum?

The Dashing Moderator

Search

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    How about a new class called Ceroc Minus...

..minus the bouncy hand, skippy feet, free hand swinging above shoulder height, dancing in circles, smoking...

..one day, in Camelot
    I could have sworn that someone (probably Andy) made another post about Camelot recently - I remember it because it quoted lyrics from the musical Camelot (by Lerner and Loewe).

Just tried to search for "Camelot" on the forum's search, and couldn't find it (I could see the post above, but not the earlier one). Am I going mad and it's all in my imagination that there was an earlier post mentioning Camelot (quite possible)?

Or is the forum search not working?
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Re: Search

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    I could have sworn that someone (probably Andy) made another post about Camelot recently - I remember it because it quoted lyrics from the musical Camelot (by Lerner and Loewe).
    The post you were looking for is here. I remember this particular post because it's the only one I've received face-to-face compliments for from complete strangers

Although I don't think that answers your question about the search facility it does provide the link for the particular search you conducted.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    The post you were looking for is here. I remember this particular post because it's the only one I've received face-to-face compliments for from complete strangers

Although I don't think that answers your question about the search facility it does provide the link for the particular search you conducted.
    Andy, Many thanks for the link.

I just tried the same search again, and it now finds those posts. But I'm sure it didn't when I tried last night.

Franck, is there a time overnight when the forum rebuilds its index (or something like that) which means searches don't work as well?
    Love dance, will travel

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Franck, is there a time overnight when the forum rebuilds its index (or something like that) which means searches don't work as well?
    No, the search index is built as we post, but when I read your post last night and tried the same search, I found the same result so I re-built the search index (quite a time and server intensive routine).
    Searches should now be more accurate
    Thanks for reporting the problem!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Unregistered

Franck,

I'm looking at the forum as a Guest (long story) and it's all orange, unlike the signed in version, which is quite easy on the eye. Is this intentional?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Franck,

I'm looking at the forum as a Guest (long story) and it's all orange, unlike the signed in version, which is quite easy on the eye. Is this intentional?

J
    ooo the skins were at the bottom - found them now. That was quite frightening. Need a lie down now...

J

Is there any way to integrate Lynda's List with the London calender?

That would be fab!

Minnie? Franck?

just playing...

J

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    No, the search index is built as we post, but when I read your post last night and tried the same search, I found the same result so I re-built the search index (quite a time and server intensive routine).
    Searches should now be more accurate
    Thanks for reporting the problem!
    Thanks for sorting it out for us.
    Love dance, will travel

In the "Who's going to win the football" poll, you can click on the number of votes to see who voted - is this just for closed polls?, is it something you can set when creating a poll?, is it only available to SilverSurfers?,...

Thread Information