Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: New version of Forum software

Re: New version of Forum software

I keep getting a message stating that the administrator has decided that I can only do one search every 15 seconds...or something like that. This appears rather often (even when not doing a search). Perhaps I am a little impatient or change my mind about some button I have clicked whilst waiting for the reply - but then I have to site there counting up to 15!

Is it just me whos gets this?

No - I get it too; I think that the initial page is classed as a search, so if you try to search quickly after it's loaded (eg using one of the quick searches on the shortcut bar) it says "15sec"
    It's either that or the text that actually reads "recent posts" is a link and I click on the drop-down after that and select 1 day... the system gets two searches and displays the message.

Could it just take you to the last search and scrap the first?

Where has the 'currently online' bit gone? I can't find it - am I just having a blonde moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Where has the 'currently online' bit gone? I can't find it - am I just having a blonde moment?
    I just looked and I can't find it either. When I ran a search, it brought up a box and listed under Site was Who's Online. I clicked on there and promptly got my hand slapped.....said I hadn't authority to look there... oops! I'll be getting a reputation as a bad girl at this rate

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsey
    I just looked and I can't find it either. When I ran a search, it brought up a box and listed under Site was Who's Online. I clicked on there and promptly got my hand slapped.....said I hadn't authority to look there... oops! I'll be getting a reputation as a bad girl at this rate
    As long as you aren't Little Miss Naughty - cos that's me!

The Forum Legend

Just found out that I can't access the Private Message receipts page - where you see if the messages that you've sent people have been received.

I don't have the right privileges to access that area.

Trampy

The Oracle

The Recent Posts menu doesn't appear if you use the MacOsX display style.

The Forum Legend

Looks like Franck is playing with the new software still....

Where's the smiley when you need it?!?

Trampy

Commercial Operator SwingSwingSwing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Cos underneath the bottom forum, there's a number of boxes which say (amongst other things):

What's Going On?
    Currently Active Users: 9 (6 members and 3 guests)
    Most users ever online was 55, 10th-July-2003 at 05:10 PM.
    TheTramp, bigdjiver, Daisy, Gary, Minnie M, Neil

Trampy

I can't see any "Who is online" or "Currently Active Users" info....but apparently I can get it back by paying £15 a year.

Check out the "Paid Subscriptions" section in the UserCP. That's going to be an interesting one!

SwingSwingSwing

Quote Originally Posted by SwingSwingSwing
    I can't see any "Who is online" or "Currently Active Users" info....but apparently I can get it back by paying £15 a year.

Check out the "Paid Subscriptions" section in the UserCP. That's going to be an interesting one!
    It also seems to say for the £15 you get to edit your own posts. But I just edited this one. (I had to change the bit where I had written you can't edit your own posts!) And it seems to say you can't start a thread in the social events unless you pay the £150 commercial membership? But does that apply to everyone (eg announcing a party) or just events and how is the difference decided...
    Last edited by Lynn; 9th-June-2004 at 09:31 PM.

The Perfect Woman!

I tend to leave the forum 'on' whilst on the internet, and go back from time to time... What really annoys me is with the new software, on reading the new posts page after a while (15 mins +) it will mark all the items as read (and take away the go to first unread post icon) , although, because I am flicking between reading and doing more productive things I'll have only read a few of the threads... This didn't happen on the old one. It only updated what you had read (presumably with a cookie) when you logged out

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    (and take away the go to first unread post icon) , although, because I am flicking between reading and doing more productive things I'll have only read a few of the threads
    Indeed - i find this mildly annoying too - couldnt find a way to change this behaviour!

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    couldn't find a way to change this behaviour!
    Have you tried positive reinforcement?

Blog Entries

First post in the brave new world -

I wrote it out properly with a fountain pen in my hardback book of course but have recently heard a rumour that some people don't do that

Please may I enquire as to the whereabouts of the dropdown options to pick last day etc from "new posts"? This was my favourite thing and I would be delighted to see it reinstated.
    many thanks
    CAFG

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    Please may I enquire as to the whereabouts of the dropdown options to pick last day etc from "new posts"? This was my favourite thing and I would be delighted to see it reinstated.
    The option should already be there, at the top of the page, amongst all the other menus, next to new posts...
    If you can't find it, try changing the style you're viewing the forum with by selecting it from the drop menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

Welcome back!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    The option should already be there, at the top of the page, amongst all the other menus, next to new posts...
    If you can't find it, try changing the style you're viewing the forum with by selecting it from the drop menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

Welcome back!
    Mine had gone missing too, and the box at the bottom was showing something different too, so I just change it to vbulletin something or other and now Recent posts is back. Thanks Franck!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    I tend to leave the forum 'on' whilst on the internet, and go back from time to time... What really annoys me is with the new software, on reading the new posts page after a while (15 mins +) it will mark all the items as read (and take away the go to first unread post icon)(
    Unfortunately, there is no easy way to change the above. The obvious way is to keep your browsing session active, but I understand this is not ideal...
    I believe the developers of the forum software are working on implementing a solution, but it might take a while.

One solution, which will soon be available for premium members of the forum, is to keep the 'Who's online' page open, as it refreshes every 2 minutes in the background and will keep your session active automatically, as well as showing you who's online and what they're up to!
    This is part of the paid upgrade subscription that SwingSwingSwing mentioned (available via your control panel - paid subscriptions).

I have decided to implement the new level of service as the server / forum costs were spiralling up, as a means to offset some of the cost.

My aim is to make sure the forum is fully accessible for free to everyone, but to offer more / better options to those of you that want to contribute.

The annual cost will be £15.00 for a silver membership, but this price will be reduced to £10.00 for the 1st year for existing members, if purchased before the end of July.
    Some of the features are not yet activated / disabled, but will be over the next couple of weeks.
    Franck.

Blog Entries

I was in test bottom left

how bizzare, I shall now return to lurking and pretending I don't notice CJ posting something wicked about me at least one a month in the most inappropriate of threads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jiveoholic
    I keep getting a message stating that the administrator has decided that I can only do one search every 15 seconds...or something like that. This appears rather often (even when not doing a search). Perhaps I am a little impatient or change my mind about some button I have clicked whilst waiting for the reply - but then I have to site there counting up to 15!

Is it just me whos gets this?
    I have now changed that to 6 seconds to limit the frustrating wait. I have to set a minimum to avoid denial of service attacks etc...
    Franck.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    The annual cost will be £15.00 for a silver membership, but this price will be reduced to £10.00 for the 1st year for existing members, if purchased before the end of July.
    Some of the features are not yet activated / disabled, but will be over the next couple of weeks.
    I've just checked this out Franck. By existing members, does this mean the people who already use the forum, like me, or have people already been paying subscriptions, cos I didn't know about it, if they have. Also, not sure what Paypal is. I think I may have it on my computer, but to be honest, I've not knowingly used it!

Thread Information