Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I Ain't broke don't Fix It!

If I Ain't broke don't Fix It!

God!!! Is this complicated or am I just a computer Dum Dum?
    Franck, YOU may think this all singing all dancing discussion Forum is really simple and easy to use but it's taken me the best part of 30 minutes just to register!!! AND I've got my Ceroc class to go to!!! What exactly was wrong with the last forum? At least you could say your piece without having to submit details of your life history!! (and date of birth- did no-one ever tell the people who devise these things that a lady is NOT supposed to divulge her age) . Anyway Swing, swing, swing is correct in saying that you seem to go through rather a lot of Discussion Forum formats!!
    Hope this one lasts longer than the last one- I don't think my brain could stand another- it's like University Challenge and the Krypton Factor combined trying to get onto this one!!!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Heather,

Sorry about the complicated setup of the new forum... Unfortunately, the old forum was "broke". Someone had flooded it with 300 odd identical messages. and when I deleted them, the board refused to accept new posts.

You are right that this forum will require a steeper learning curve, but I believe that once we have all used it for a while, the benefits will become apparent.

Thankfully, you only have to register once, and you don't have to give all your personal details (you can even lie on the birthday, though obviously you would not need to )

I hope you enjoy your night in Dundee tonight. I am off to Glasgow for a boogie.

Cheers,

Franck.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Bloomin' Norah!!!!

Well, I think I've managed to get logged on too Heather but unlike yourself I have not entered the year of my birth ( don't want to shatter any illusions - that includes my own! ).
    Doesn't half appear complicated trying to type a reply but hopefully we'll get used to it.

Think it will be a little while before I experiment with the all singing, all dancing bit but Franck is obviously determined to have us all totally computer literate before too long. I like the preview reply bit though - means I can try and find all of the spelling mistakes before I read my message on the forum. By the way Franck, how sweet that we are all junior members.

Just returned from a great night dancing in Dundee - even some new men ( there is a God after all! )( and she must have read the last forum).

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Hi Sheena,

Well done, you have made it safely across to the new board.

I agree about the preview option, it makes a huge difference and I am still discovering the new features myself... colour ! , Large text , and even larger text.

When the board gets busier, features like "show new posts only" will be very useful.
    When you can face it, you should all upload a small picture (avatar), any picture will do (it has to be under 50x50 pixel). That way, it is easier to see who is writing and you can convey some of your personality into it... There is a selection of pictures you can use available from your control panel (click on 'user cp' above, and choose edit options -> avatars).
    You can also use the Calendar feature as a personal diary for all your dancing engagements...

I did like the simplicity of the previous forum, however, it was not at all reliable, and as demonstrated eventually, open to abuse
    I would like to think that this one will last and that over the next months we can build a solid community of Cerocers / Lerocers / Jivers / and other people interested in our ramblings...

Speaking of which, I do seem to be rambling on a bit

Cheers,

Franck.
    Last edited by Franck; 17th-January-2002 at 10:42 AM.

Thumbs up Re: If I Ain't broke don't Fix It!

Originally posted by Heather
    God!!! Franck, YOU may think this all singing all dancing discussion Forum is really simple and easy to use but it's taken me the best part of 30 minutes just to register!!!
    I've previously registered with similar style forums (www.tivocommunity.com) and I didn't think it was overly complicated.

This type of forum is quite good - honest Just takes a bit of getting used to. Interesting choice of avatars though - I actually have a photo of me on the other board I use regularly but couldn't see the option here to upload. The other board I use has a rule that it must be a photo of yourself but that hasn't stopped two people putting photos of themselves as kids and one a picture of his TVR that he claims he's in! Maybe it's something you need to enable Franck?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hi Johnny_boy,

Thanks for your comment, and indeed you should be able to use your own avatar / picture. For some reason it was set to allow this only after posting so many messages. I have changed that now and you should all be able to upload your own picture if you want to (remember to edit it in a graphic package to resize it to a 50x50 pixel gif or jpg). Simply click on "user cp" above, and then on edit options, scroll down to "change avatar", and on the next page got to the very bottom: "Custom avatars" and follow the instructions.

The choice of current avatars is indeed "original" , though I am in the process of uploading further choices (Mr Men and Little Miss).

Cheers,

Franck.
    Last edited by Franck; 17th-January-2002 at 05:17 PM.

Thumbs up

Nice Forum!!

I've never posted on your site before but i'm a frequent browser and like to keep up to date with the goss. I have to say this is much better than the old one....Congrats Franck
    I'm sure everyone will come round to your way of thinking

See y'all in the class on Wednesday

Blog Entries
    Hi FilthyCute (interesting name by the way).

Welcome to the board, and I am really pleased you are joining in the discussions this time.

I feel we are going to have to start another contentious subject soon to get things going like in the previous forum...

Cheers,

Franck.
    Last edited by Franck; 18th-January-2002 at 10:41 AM.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Mr. Muddle - well, that was a Freudian slip.

As Franck went to all the effort I'll change, and deny everything.

Drops? Sorry...I meant dips...I've never dropped anyone, honest!

I'll see any Wegie based dancers at either night this week.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

spins

My double spins got worse ever since i did the workshop last year ?

must be thinking about it too much. Any tips ?

Blog Entries
    Hi Scathe,

You are probably right that you are thinking too much about it. I would advise spinning slower and as often as possible... Practice really does make perfect

What you could do is talk to one of the teachers at your regular venue, and ask them to have a look and give you pointers. Spinning is definitely not easy, and you have to keep at it...

If you ever dance on a Monday night at the Maryhill Club (Glasgow), come and see me after the Intermediate class and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers,

Franck.

Smile Maturity

Originally posted by Sheena

By the way Mr S - shouldn't your picture be Mr "OL' TIMER" seeing as you were born in 1902? I knew you were old John, just didn't think you were that old -still you dance very well for a senior citizen.
    "1902" was just my little bit of rebellion against having to put dates of birth in the profile - might have known the Dundee Thought Polis would have sussed me. But thank you, Sheena, for the (slightly back-handed) compliment - I'm off now to be a toyboy on a Saga holiday.

Blog Entries

Re: Maturity

Originally posted by John S

"1902" was just my little bit of rebellion against having to put dates of birth in the profile - might have known the Dundee Thought Polis would have sussed me. But thank you, Sheena, for the (slightly back-handed) compliment - I'm off now to be a toyboy on a Saga holiday.
    Hey, you do not have to put anything at all in the profile, so no need for rebellion . I think it's nice that any registered user's birthday appears on the front page when you log on.
    Though as Heather eventually found out, you don't have to include the year at all, just the birthday.

None of the information is compulsory and you can even make it up if you want (though you are likely to be found out by the "Dundee thought Polis"ยจ

Speaking of which I have added a category in the profile for you to mention the venues you usually attend... so if you joined early on, you can update your own profile by clicking on the "user cp" above.

Cheers,

Franck.

Blog Entries

Re: spins

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    My double spins got worse ever since i did the workshop last year ?

must be thinking about it too much. Any tips ?
    Have you asked Lee Bartholomew? He's pretty good at spinning.

HTH.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Have you asked Lee Bartholomew? He's pretty good at spinning.

HTH.
    sheesh, the lady knows how to bounce a thread

Blog Entries

sheesh, the lady knows how to bounce a thread
    Awwww..... didn't you want to take part in the first posts thread?

Anyway - can you double spin yet?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Awwww..... didn't you want to take part in the first posts thread?

Anyway - can you double spin yet?
    i could always double spin, i just got worse at it

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Can give you some tips if you want

Commercial Operator

Are you still actually dancing? We haven't seen you for ages - come to think of it, I don't remember having ever seen you dancing dressed as a man

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Are you still actually dancing? We haven't seen you for ages - come to think of it, I don't remember having ever seen you dancing dressed as a man
    I've danced very little over the last 2 years, but i am going to be dancing at the Ceroc Scotland Charity Champs - hopefully my 3 practices will be enough

Thread Information