Thread: Private lessons

Registered User catherine_redhead's Avatar

Private lessons

Has anyone here ever had private lessons with anyone, and if so... did you find it useful? Is there anyone you can recommend?

Cath

Depends what you want.

I've had two lessons. About 2 years back I had a coaching session with Roger Chin and Anne to try and get me dancing more like my partner ... very good. Last year had a session with Amir on competition technique and opening up my dance style ... again very good, definitely recommend him.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Re: Private lessons

Originally posted by catherine_redhead
    Has anyone here ever had private lessons with anyone, and if so... did you find it useful? Is there anyone you can recommend?

Cath
    The best private lesson I've had was with Carren in western Sydney, but that's of absolutely no help to you, sorry

Thanks Gary, as much as I'd like to pop over to the other side of the world I don't think it's going to happen somehow!

Private lessons are the best way to improve.

I've taken a few and given a few and they're great. More importantly, if you look at modern jive vs salsa vs west coast swing vs ballroom, the higher the standard of the dance style the more often private lessons are used.

Everyone should have a minimum of one private lesson from the best dancer in their area, most people get great benefits.

As for who from, that comes down to what you want to learn.

For style someone whose style you admire most, for leading/following/flow someone of the opposite sex with a smooth basic action. For technique someone who is knowledgable, usually of a couple of dance styles. Its not hard to work out that anyone with a pet name like 'Oracle' is probably good.

If you get 2 couples and hire the best dancer/coach you can find for £30 for an hour, it actually works out 7.50 each, and god will you learn far more, and practise more focusedly, than you would from a class.

You can just go and do it before freestyle somewhere in the building, or in your home, or hire a room at a gym.

Try and focus on technique and style more than moves. Maybe learn one new move each lesson.

Only one warning. I know a girl who had nothing but private lessons for half a year and never went social dancing. At the end of it she was so used to having a 'perfect' lead that no-one was good enough for her! True story.
    Last edited by JamesGeary; 25th-May-2004 at 08:20 PM.

James, thanks so much for all this advice. It's really useful. It's definitely style that I want to work on now as I've been dancing 4 years. Reaching plateaus makes me want to look elsewhere to improve, and this looks like a great way of doing it.
    Cath x

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

Private Tuition

Hi Catherine,

Just wanted to let you know that Mikey does a lot of private tuition and private workshops. He gets a lot of bookings - and many are repeat bookings and regulars - which is its own best advertisment!

I see you are in Bristol, and know that Mikey has always regarded Sherif highly for his smooth style. I don't know if he does private lessons - have you asked him? Mikey will have his details, if you don't have them - so just drop him a pm if you are interested.

Good luck!

Re: Private Tuition

Originally posted by DangerousCurves
    I see you are in Bristol, and know that Mikey has always regarded Sherif highly for his smooth style. I don't know if he does private lessons - have you asked him? Mikey will have his details, if you don't have them - so just drop him a pm if you are interested.
    Sherif's website is www.leroc2000.co.uk. It doesn't mention private lessons, but it does have contact details

Originally posted by catherine_redhead

Cath
    Private Dancer! reminds me of a great Tina Turner track. Don't think anyone does this in Aberdeen........or do they???

Sandy

Sherif was my thoughts when it came to Bristol.

Your best bet...

Hi Catherine

I find private lessons invaluable, and have had several (mostly with Jackie Dunn). I know you are a couple of years further down the dance track than me, but I bet you will find equal value if you pick the right teacher.

You will need about 90 mins (any longer than this, and you start to forget what you were taught)

Its good to book a room with mirrors (eg the small room above Danceworld in Bedminster)

Its good to video-record the session for later replay

Its good to have a specific goal for the lesson

What the private lessons did for me, is help me become conscious of what I am doing unconsciously, and therefore allowed me to unlearn some bad habits and replace them with good ones

Having said that, I think your dancing is fabulous anyway!

Thanks all!

Cheers for all the tips. I do know Sherif well, but as it's style I'm looking for I was thinking that private lessons with a female would be really useful for style tips.
    Maybe private lessons from the female and the male point of view both have their benefits though.

I see that most of the advice has been from men - any ladies had private lessons which were useful?

Cath x

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

I haven't had a private lesson - but if its styling you want, I went to Marianne's styling class (DutchGinger) at Southport and was very impressed.

Thread Information