Thread: Injured

Injured

After watching the amazing Lily the other day i came home and thought right i must start stretching to be able to do the splits again. I did a little warm up and then tried to go down into the splits - trouble is i didnt realise one foot was on the rug and the other was on the wooden floor so i went a little too far. I heard a rip sound and almost passed out with pain. 24 hours later and the pain is still bad - the back of my leg is swollen and hot. Can anyone give me some advice to help ease the pain (I am allergic to deep heat and Ralgex)..

If you've got them, try putting a bag of frozen peas on it.

It sounds as though it could be your hamstring, in which case it would be best to seek medical attention.

Keep it strapped up nice and tight and rest it!

Commercial Operator

Re: Injured

Originally posted by Missy D
    After watching the amazing Lily the other day i came home and thought right i must start stretching to be able to do the splits again. I did a little warm up and then tried to go down into the splits - trouble is i didnt realise one foot was on the rug and the other was on the wooden floor so i went a little too far. I heard a rip sound and almost passed out with pain. 24 hours later and the pain is still bad - the back of my leg is swollen and hot. Can anyone give me some advice to help ease the pain (I am allergic to deep heat and Ralgex)..
    I know the answer to this one and it's not nice.

I used to be able to do the splits, including the box splits - where you face forwards and just open your legs sideways.

Up until 2 years ago I could also do the more ordinary front to back splits. Until one night 2 years ago in the beer tent at Cowes week when I did the splits and something tore in my left leg

It was my hamstring. I went to A&E and had the diagnosis confirmed (this was fairly embarrassing as the Isle of Wight ladies rugby team had used and large indelible marker pen to write KISS on my bottom in big letters and I was wearing stockings and suspenders ). I've seen my GP and a sports therapist (I was dressed normally for those visits ). I was given exercises to help improve the chances that the muscle fibres will rejoin properly rather than in a horrible birds nest - I recommend that you do the same. My GP said that I could have surgery to rejoin the muscle but that it could limit my mobility in the same way as the problem. His advice was to not have it done as I would be putting myself at the risk associated with all surgery for a questionable benefit.

And 2 years on I still have a constant nagging pain in my left thigh and can't run fast without my left thigh muscles going into spasm

Let's hope you haven't got it this bad. But if you have I recommend that you do what I do and completely ignore it. I still do dance competitions, still dance 3 or 4 nights a week and apart from the difficulty running I haven't let it stop me from doing anything.

So my advice it to get medical help/advice to ensure you minimise the chances that you end up with a long-term problem.

Re: Re: Injured

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    So my advice it to get medical help/advice to ensure you minimise the chances that you end up with a long-term problem.
    To the best of my knowledge, the "rip" sound is not a good sign, and means you should seek medical advice.

Best of luck...

Dave

Thank you all for the advice i will hobble off to the doctors tomorrow.

No bag of peas in my freezer only a tin of petit pois in the cupboard (guess thats not going to work on my injury).

Does anyone know of any videos that teach you the basic warm-ups that are good for MJ? Maybe even a web site.

Originally posted by Carla B
    Does anyone know of any videos that teach you the basic warm-ups that are good for MJ? Maybe even a web site.
    Might be a bit extreme (?) but there's a PDF at http://www.usmc-mccs.org/SemperFit/f...Daily%2016.pdf

This has warmup / stretches / exercises / cool down. Should be "adequate" for MJ

SpinDr.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

24 hours later and the pain is still bad - the back of my leg is swollen and hot. Can anyone give me some advice to help ease the pain
    I've got no advice Dawn but I hope it gets better soon!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Just to add what others have been saying that medical advice is what you really need. Don't be drawn into any conclusions until it is seen to.

What you have to realise is that a fresh injury is easier to treat. The worst thing to do is leave it and hope that it will calm down. There is everything right in seeking caution though consultation. These days I know to go directly to a physio.

Ice is an excellent idea as well as heat. First one then the other. This helps for both the muscle tissue and the bloodflow which accelerates the natural healing process. Ibuprofen through Ibuprofen tablets or gel is another good idea.

I have just competed in the Ceroc champs on Sunday and spent Thursday afternoon on a treatment bench with an excellent physio being treated for some ripped muscles around my pelvis. Yes I did hear a rip when it happened as well. Both Friday and Saturday were spent off my feet as walking was just about possible. This rest proved invaluable.

The early stages of an injury are vital to your recovery.

Best wishes to you and I hope you can get onto the road to recovery soon.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Carla B
    I haven't seen it myself, though I have had it recommended, and as he is
    by Nigel
    The best dancer on the planet
    I think it must be good, it's the "Warm Ups and Isolations" from Robert Cordoba. The website is here If you order it, make sure you request the right video format for the UK (is that PAL?).

Missy D, really sorry to hear about your injury, I was really looking forward to doing all those moves I didn't do on Sunday! I think Ed's advice is excellent, hopefully you've seen a doctor by now, and hopefully it is "just" a muscle injury which won't take too long to heal.

Greg

Hello everyone!

Well i rang my doctor this morning and couldnt get to see him until the end of the month (typical eh). So had a browse through the yellow pages found a sports injury clinic and thats where i have been for hours. He spent nearly 2 hours massaging and applying ice packs - i now feel i am free of pain yipee but, he advised me not to drive or dance for a couple of days The injury was just a overstretch thing (cant remember what he said i was almost asleep whilst the massage was going on). I now have a very black back of the leg but, apart from that i am fine. So this will have to be my only contact with you dancers until i am allowed out again (hopefully friday Hipsters). Thanks again for all the advice.

i now feel i am free of pain yipee but, he advised me not to drive or dance for a couple of days The injury was just a overstretch thing (cant remember what he said i was almost asleep whilst the massage was going on). I now have a very black back of the leg but, apart from that i am fine.
    Dawn, that's great news... let's hope the improvement continues and that you're back to normal really soon

Don't overdo it...

Chris

I'm glad the treatment worked.

Hello everyone!

So had a browse through the yellow pages found a sports injury clinic and thats where i have been for hours. He spent nearly 2 hours massaging and applying ice packs - i now feel i am free of pain yipee .
    Well done getting it sorted so quick.
    Hope that it didn't cost a fortune!

Maybe you could offset as a tax loss (noting other thread)

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

I did a little warm up and then tried to go down into the splits - trouble is i didnt realise one foot was on the rug and the other was on the wooden floor so i went a little too far. to deep

I see you left out the bit about the man that was on the rug
    told you not to try it but oh no glad you are getting better now sis

Hello everyone!

Well i rang my doctor this morning and couldnt get to see him until the end of the month (typical eh).

What an absolute disgrace !!! I think it's time you changed your doctor!! I think it's bad if I can't get an appointment within a couple of days- but having to wait until the end of the month just beggars belief!!!
    I don't phone my doctor often, and when I do it would be something urgent, if they can't get me an appointment within a couple of days I always ask for a home appointment, it's amazing how the receptionist can magically produce a 'time' out of thin air!!

Incidentally, I also injured my leg a couple of years ago , I tore a muscle whilst walking off-stage during an opera. It wasn't my hamstring , I can't remember what it was called, but apparently there are twin muscles in each calf, it was one of them. I spent the rest of the evening in A+E , performed the rest of the week on crutches and was off my work for three weeks.

Anyway,glad you're OK now,

Heather.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Heather
    It wasn't my hamstring , I can't remember what it was called, but apparently there are twin muscles in each calf, it was one of them.

Heather.
    The gastrocnemius and the soleus - both inserting through the achilees tendon on to the calcaneus ( heel bone) !!!

Just passed my massage course on Saturday so fresh in my mind ....although still get most of the spellings wrong. Anyone need a massage ( excellent rates for jivers ).

And Yes, I know Trampy is waiting for one. I'll book you in for your shoulder now I don't have to study so much.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    Anyone need a massage ( excellent rates for jivers ).
    I don't need one but I'd like one!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Originally posted by Bill
    The gastrocnemius
    Yep, that's the one !! Couldn't remember what it was called but that definitely rings a bell!! It felt like someone had whacked me in the back of the leg with a metal bar when it happened.
    I literally dropped to the floor and couldn't walk.

Heather,
    xx

Thread Information