Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ceroc 2002 Championships

The Oracle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So who's this other guy then?

Originally posted by Rachel
    You know what I really fancied doing after watching the Championship video? Do a partner swap for various people ... I remember thinking - if only that girl was dancing with this guy, and that other guy's style would suit this girl much better ... And of the finalists, I'd also love to watch, say, Clayton dance with Haley, Janine with Ray, etc etc
    They have this in the US. They get all the teachers on the floor, the men draw their partner's name from a hat, and they dance (usually one couple at a time so you get chance to see them!)
    And why oh why can they not manage to get the music to fit the dancing on the video. The video's great in so many ways, but it looks like everyone's dancing out of time in certain places - really irritating. Is technology not that far advanced yet - or is it more difficult than I think?
    When they edit the video, the sound will quite often become separated from the video. And if the recording was distorted, they might just use the song straight from the CD. It is easy to get it back in sync, but only if it was a dancer doing the editing.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So who's this other guy then?

Originally posted by DavidB
    They have this in the US. They get all the teachers on the floor, the men draw their partner's name from a hat, and they dance (usually one couple at a time so you get chance to see them!)
    Brilliant! I wish they did that here, too.

When they edit the video, the sound will quite often become separated from the video. And if the recording was distorted, they might just use the song straight from the CD. It is easy to get it back in sync, but only if it was a dancer doing the editing.
    'Only, if it's a dancer' .... yes, I somehow think you're right there!

Identity confusion

I was very flattered that someone thought I was Siu Fi. He danced really well in the Advanced final and had an original style. Confusingly I danced with a blonde girl as well but it was in the intermediate final!

I remember some guy coming to me and asking if I had done martial arts. I have and so has Siu Fi but there is no way my dancing looks like Wing Chun although I have always admired that style. My martial arts training was very English orientated Shotokan with lots of Freestyle sparring so when I dance you should not be able to tell that I did martial arts.

By the way please consider going to Nathan's Walthamstowe evening . I had a superb time and the Ball was a great success.

Re: Identity confusion

Originally posted by Ste
    I was very flattered that someone thought I was Siu Fi. He danced really well in the Advanced final and had an original style. Confusingly I danced with a blonde girl as well but it was in the intermediate final!
    By the way please consider going to Nathan's Walthamstowe evening . I had a superb time and the Ball was a great success.
    Then I shall study my Hammersmith video again, Steve, and look out for you in the intermediate final. Oh, and I agree with you about Debs being a fantastic dancer - I didn't know who the girl in green was until you mentioned it, but her dancing stood out immediately.

And yes, I'll certainly do my best to make it to to the Walthamstow Ball again next April - it was a great evening last time.
    Rachel

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc 2002 Championships

Originally posted by Gus

BUT I would say that none of the above are in the 'Super-Advanced' category. The best dancers (now) don't compete, e.g. Viktor & LKydia, Dan Baines, Sue Freeman, Nigel & Nina, Amir etc.

So ... I would say, that given the above dancers, they are all well within reach of advancing intermediates ... possibly with only the Aussies having a real edge on the rest.

Any other views?
    I agree with you (again ) Gus but I'm very flattered to be mentioned in the same breath (or sentence) as some of those guys you mention. :sorry

I don't have the 'natural' ability or the poise and style to ever reach the heights of Viktor, Nigel at al but I do desperately want to improve.

I think those of us who are more experienced can pass on tips/thoughts/ etc to less experienced dancers - if requested:p but it's fraught with problems ( mentioned on another thread).

As for judging........ there have been so many comments on this site - on various threads on the subject and of course for a competition to have any validity or credibility it must have respected judges.

If Nigel, Viktor et al still competed who would judge them ? Yes most folk can 'spot' a good dancer but some results at competitions suggest many observers and the judges are not looking for the same thing ! I've certainly been stunned at some decisions - even when I respect the judges and know they are good dancers. And of course there is always the suggestion of internal politics which may or may not sway someone's decision.

As for the Aussies - only seen a few but whatI've seen is impressive

And as for decisions - it'll be interesting to see what happens on Sunday !:p .................one last point which may have been raised before ( I haven't been on this thread before !) doesn't the main Ceroc site mention the Scottish Competition at all if not why not

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc 2002 Championships

Originally posted by bill foreman
    .................one last point which may have been raised before ( I haven't been on this thread before !) doesn't the main Ceroc site mention the Scottish Competition at all if not why not

Bill ... and I thought you were an intelligent bloke ... Ceroc HQ mention something happening OUTSIDE the M25??? Get a grip ... I don't think they even know there is life North of Hemel Hempstead, never mind in the cold far reaches of the M1!

May the CHAMPIONSHIPS prosper!

B.T.C.
    The points being made here were made on another thread some time ago especially on competing and judging and especially on categories.

I suggested a while back that there was now such a leap from even 'average' advanced dancers and the very top that there should be something like an 'Open' competition so that the very best dancers could compete against each other. But would they want to ? and of course who judges N & N, V & L et al ?

And surely for this group there would be more prestige from winning than there would be in beating other more 'part time' dancers

I have now danced in 2 Advanced competitions and was delighted just to get through a round and very concerned that my partner and I might be out of our depth. However well we danced we couldn't compete with the very best dancers........all those named on other replies.

I would imagine that the Beginners category was rejected because of problems of ensuring that everyone had been dancing for less than 6 months but its very dificult to verify. And would they mean dancing Ceroc or any form of dance ?

The same is true for other levels. If Intermediate is for non teachers, again does that mean teachers of any form of dance or only any form of jive? And what do you do if someone 'breaks ' a rule....disqualify them ?

Could someone else prove that someone had danced more than 6 months ? Was , or had been a teacher of some form of dancing? Was under 18 when they were competing ? What if the judges know but do nothing about it ??????

SO many questions eh and perhaps makes me wonder why I compete at all.......................... I'll think about that one...

Originally posted by bill foreman

SO many questions eh and perhaps makes me wonder why I compete at all.......................... I'll think about that one...
    Depends why you are competing. I would love to compete against the best, V&L etc. .... against them there would be no pressure ... just going out and seeing just how far you are short of their standard .... would be just for the fun.

However, given the current standrad in the advanced, I think anyone who got through to the semis at Blackpool is in with a chance. The only real stars are Clayton and Jeanine, but the gap is narrowing. Who's going to be their main rivals in the 2003 champs?

I think you are being too hard on yourself. From what I've seen you and Fran and a number of other dancers from Scotland should all be competing in that section and should aim for a place on the winners rostrum (if they ever actualy get a rostrum). I'll be competing again next year .... aiming for the final, half expecting to go out before the semis. If we win, great, if not at least it will be another great experience.

Thread Information