Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceroc Champs

B.T.C.
    Some very good and experienced teachers amongst that lot

Great to see Bill and Bex involved and of course our own Franck and Obi. Is it only just over a week ......................

Originally posted by bradders
    Lucky Dip
    So why are you not competing Paul F? ...... there are still some places left in the mens lucky dip which you can join in...... call Christine on 079 500 432 65 and book in.
    The decision to go down on the sat night or sunday morning has not been finalised yet so cant guarantee i will be there in time.

Not sure who is driving yet so cant guarantee we will make it there at all

As for the judges, I see a god mixture of competitors , non-competitors, oversees, ceroc and non-ceroc. All in all I believe that is a good blend.

Gus - I see what you mean about wanting people with competition experience (although there are) but I believe there are many people out there who are just as good , if not better, than the regulars you see competing year in year out. For whatever reason they might not wish to compete, no time etc. .

Although I have never been asked to judge (not saying I should be) I would have thought being locked away 'judging' all day must be very very tiring - I think the idea of having different judges for different sections must be an improvement (can't say if the selection be correct though)

I agree that there should be an 'outsider' on most of the sections thus giving an unbiased view - or is it for the best 'Ceroc' dancer

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Minnie M
    I agree that there should be an 'outsider' on most of the sections thus giving an unbiased view - or is it for the best 'Ceroc' dancer
    Why not?? It is the 'Ceroc' champs after all...

Trampy

Originally posted by Paul F
    Gus - I see what you mean about wanting people with competition experience (although there are) but I believe there are many people out there who are just as good , if not better, than the regulars you see competing year in year out. For whatever reason they might not wish to compete, no time etc. .
    Totally agree ... BUT I think that if you are going to judge something it helps if you can appreciate it from both sides. I would have more confidence in being judged by an experienced competition dancer than an experienced teacher. There are some instructors that I would accept purely on existing reputation without me knowing of their competition 'pedigree', e.g. Roy, Linda ... but to be frank there a fair few names down there that I don’t recognise. Going back to a previous thread, if I was serious about competing the quality and reputation would be a major deciding factor as to whether I would enter or not.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Gus
    but to be frank there a fair few names down there that I don’t recognise.
    I don't really undersatnd why all the names have to be recognisable...surely a little variety is a good thing (new blood and all that) and newer judges have to begin somewhere, don't they?
    if I was serious about competing the quality and reputation would be a major deciding factor as to whether I would enter or not.
    Really?! Perhaps I am being naive here but I was under the impression that most people entered competitions because a) they wanted to take part, be seen, have fun and b) they wanted to win

Originally posted by Emma
    I don't really undersatnd why all the names have to be recognisable...surely a little variety is a good thing (new blood and all that) and newer judges have to begin somewhere, don't they?
    Agreed. Just an observation .... it was more following on from the line of a previous (annual) discussion that the calibre of a dance competition can, to an extent, rest on the calibre of the judges ... and if you dont know who the judges its harder to make that call.

......Perhaps I am being naive here but I was under the impression that most people entered competitions because a) they wanted to take part, be seen, have fun and b) they wanted to win
    And if you want to win dont you want to be sure that you have confidence in the judges to make the 'right' decision I think you are right that the majority of competitors are there for the fun .... but if you are taking it seriously then its a different matter. I've often wondered what its like for the top competitors when they know that they are being judged by dancers they are better than (NOT saying that that is the case at Ceroc before I get flamed).

Anyway ... think I'm getting bored of my own views re judges on this thread that Paul so kindly started. I hope that all the competitors have a great time and I look forward to the traditional barrage of mutual congratulation, calls of 'we wuz robbed' and even finer displays of dancing. Oh ... and COME ON FC & JB!!

Originally posted by Gus
    COME ON FC & JB!!
    Are they coming down for the ceroc champs?

J

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Jayne
    Are they coming down for the ceroc champs?

J
    Don't think so................... which is a pity.

Thread Information