Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New "Come Dancing" format...

Set The Video

FYI: Channel 4 tonight / tomorrow morning (22/23 April): 04:55am. Post Modern Pastimes: How ballroom dancing is being embraced by a younger generation.

Keep an eye open - there's one in this series about Ceroc/Jive.

SpinDr.

Actually, I would love to dance with Brucie, I got his autograph once he was LOVELY to me when the staff wouldnt let me near him and i chased him!!
    Sigh!

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by fruitcake
    Actually, I would love to dance with Brucie, I got his autograph once he was LOVELY to me when the staff wouldnt let me near him and i chased him!!
    Sigh!

you sad woman............................ and you seem quite normal in conversation

Originally posted by Bill
    you sad woman............................ and you seem quite normal in conversation
    Whay an awful thing to say.....I'm not normal!!

BBC are filming a Pilot tomorrow

Just received this email. I'm hoping to go - may be see some of you there.

> We need a small audience for our pilot of Strictly Come Dancing this
    > Saturday and yours truly has been instructed to get that audience!!
    > You don't fancy coming to watch it do you and bringing some friends
    > with you (or have any friends that want to come?). Bruce and Tess will
    > be presenting, all the pro dancers will be there, and most of the
    > celebs.
    >
    > It would be from 4.15 - 8.30 and smart dress (no under 18's)
    >
    >
    > Danni Lowe
    > Production Co-ordinator
    > Strictly Come Dancing
    > Room 3317, TVC
    > T: 020 8225 9465
    > F: 020 8225 8244
    > M: 07834 154 459
    > dannielle.lowe@bbc.co.uk

More info if you are interested and free tomorrow.
    STRICTLY COME DANCING

We are filming a non-transmittable pilot of the new
    BBC 1 & BBC3 Saturday night shows of Strictly Come
    Dancing this Saturday 24th April and we are looking
    for an audience of 50-60 people.

Please let me know if you'd like to be a part of it

The BBC 1 show will be presented by Bruce Forsyth and
    Tess Daly, with the BBC 3 show being presented by
    Justin Lee Collins. 8 professional dancers from the
    Latin/ Ballroom Dancing World will be taking the stage
    along with various celebrities.

Audience members will need to be over 18, here at BBC
    Television Centre (Audience Entrance), Wood Lane,
    London W12 7RJ (nearest tube - White City on the
    Central Line) at 16.15 and will be free to leave at
    20:30 once the shows have been filmed. They will need
    to be smartly dressed.

If you would like to come then please call me on the
    number below and I’ll give you more details

Thanks very much

Danni

xxx

Danni Lowe

Production Co-ordinator

Strictly Come Dancing

Room 3317, TVC

T: 020 8225 9465

Dannielle.lowe@bbc.co.uk

I'm going!!!

J

Blog Entries
    Cool! I'm busy so can't make it, but will someone post up an account on the forum on Sunday or early next week? Pretty please?? Would love to hear more about the show/format - and who the ballroom/latin stars are....

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by fruitcake
    Whay an awful thing to say.....I'm not normal!!

yes..........I'm beginning to gather that.......................

backatcha!!!!

Originally posted by Divissima
    Cool! I'm busy so can't make it, but will someone post up an account on the forum on Sunday or early next week? Pretty please?? Would love to hear more about the show/format - and who the ballroom/latin stars are....
    Hmmm, what can I say - Pop Idol/Fame Academy meets Ballroom Dancing.

8 'D-list' Celebs & 8 Professional Ballroom Dancers paired up with each other. 4 couples dancing a Waltz, the other 4 dancing Cha Cha. Brucie plays 'Ant n Dec', 3 judges doing the Simon Cowel nasty comments bit.

Supposedly the celebs have had 6 weeks training with their pro-partners to practise their relevant routines which they will perform each saturday night live. Then the judges give their comments and score each couple out of 10. Then there is a public phone vote with is also converted into a score out of 10 and is added to the judges scores. The couple with the lowest score each week is booted off the show. Then next week the remaining couples go through it all again with different dances.

While 'waiting for the public phone vote' we were entertained by a fantastic demonstration from a Salsa couple (which was actually pre-recorded before the 'live' section of the show, so the studio audience is left twiddling their thumbs for a while. )

Can't imagine that modern jive is going to get any airtime with this program, unless they ask someone like Nigel & Nina to perform in the 'demo' slot while the public are voting.

The studio audience is sat down 2 opposite sides of the dance floor, so anyone there is likely to appear in several background shots and are mostly there to supplement the canned applause etc. It's a good set, but there aren't any monitors for the studio audience to watch the video clips on, so they miss out on the back stage interviews with Tess Daily, and most of the content of the BBC3 follow-up program. That said, if anyone can get tickets for the real filming, I think it is worth going - I'll be trying to get tickets......

Originally posted by RobC
    ...That said, if anyone can get tickets for the real filming, I think it is worth going - I'll be trying to get tickets......
    Keep an eye out at http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/ for tickets - I guess they'll come up fairly soon.

Without sounding like a complete biff..........If i've got this right, a load of 'celebrities' get trained by pro's to compete against each other. One gets knocked out each week until only one couple remain???? So.........there's, like............no 'real' people competing for a title or anything..........just 'famous' people sparing some of their time to see if they can dance a bit????

.........it's not exactly the Come Dancing of yesteryear is it??? Sounds a bit pants to me........

James........xx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Jive Brummie
    Sounds a bit pants to me........
    indeed, theyre trying to drag any mileage out of the tired 'reality' tv format. I would find it far more interesting if they just took people off the street for the dancers, they seem to think that the general public find minor celebrities inherently interesting - but in this age of celebrity everwhere you look, is that really the case anymore ?

I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. You make sure that there is no common language between them all, so they are forced to interact other ways and find some common ground. So you stick them on a remote island and see how it all works out. Far more interesting experiment then sticking the usual muppets in a house/jungle/island and watching them bitch at each other .

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. ...
    you're relying on a TV resercher to select very intelligent people?

There was a series a while ago that had a handfull of scientists (a botanist, physicist, chemist, engineer...) secluded on a desert island that were presented tasks like "make ice", "Create a sun-cream",... They did have things like hosepipes and gaffer tape, but that's all. Can't remember when it was on, but (I thought) it was quite good.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gadget
    you're relying on a TV resercher to select very intelligent people?

There was a series a while ago that had a handfull of scientists (a botanist, physicist, chemist, engineer...) secluded on a desert island that were presented tasks like "make ice", "Create a sun-cream",... They did have things like hosepipes and gaffer tape, but that's all. Can't remember when it was on, but (I thought) it was quite good.
    "make ice" ? bah, yeah lets get clever people together and have them do pointless tasks....NO! Good old fashioned human interaction can actually be interesting. Look at how popular soap operas are. As for finding the right people - produce logic puzzles, quizzes and simple psychometric questions to find a good mix. With the extra language and cultural barriers there from the outset they have to consider how they interact all the more. I could present this .

For other reality shows there is nothing scientific about it
    big brother get some 'average' stereotypical people as decided by tv researcher ...

m a celebrity: get some 'celebrities' as decided by a tv researcher (make sure they dont need much pay )..

That boyfriend/girlfriend on an island one get some attractive people that dont care about being faithful to a partner ...etc..

blah blah blah...off for a coffee break..

"make ice" ? bah, yeah lets get clever people together and have them do pointless tasks....NO!
    I think that in that program, the presenter wanted ice in his drink while he was lying in a hammock between two palm trees... see - not that pointless. (And I want to present this one )
    Good old fashioned human interaction can actually be interesting. Look at how popular soap operas are. As for finding the right people - produce logic puzzles, quizzes and simple psychometric questions to find a good mix. With the extra language and cultural barriers there from the outset they have to consider how they interact all the more. I could present this .
    I'd think that they would probably look for a Carol Vordemort type person that could speak lots of languages. Does this forum prove that you had the idea first should someone want to produce it? And I never understood why soap operas were so popular: don't these people who watch them have lives of there own?
    {<- imminent flaming}
    Last edited by Gadget; 26th-April-2004 at 03:27 PM.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Gadget
    don't these people who watch them have lives of there own?
    {<- imminent flaming}
    Yeah, but only for the spelling

I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. You make sure that there is no common language between them all, so they are forced to interact other ways and find some common ground. So you stick them on a remote island and see how it all works out. Far more interesting experiment then sticking the usual muppets in a house/jungle/island and watching them bitch at each other .
    or stick a load of people who do not understand each other and onto one planet. Anybody spotted the cameras yet?

Actually, it would be a very intresting experiment, but probably not good TV - there would only be one person that most of the audience could understand, and they would not be saying much because the others could not understand it. It might be hilarious if you had Terry Wogan or Paul Merson doing voice-overs for what individuals were thinking / trying to communicate.

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    Actually, it would be a very intresting experiment, but probably not good TV - there would only be one person that most of the audience could understand, and they would not be saying much because the others could not understand it.
    What, it wouldn't be pre-recorded so that sub-titles could be added?

PS: Stuart -
    im·mi·nent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-nnt)
    adj.
    About to occur; impending: in imminent danger.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English iminent, from Old French imminent, from Latin imminns, imminent- present participle of imminre, to overhang : in-, in; see in-2 + -minre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in Indo-European Roots.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    immi·nent·ly adv.
    immi·nent·ness n.

Thread Information