Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That 'safety and etiquette on the dancefloor' issue...

?

Originally posted by ElaineB
    The expression on one guys face was a peach as he struggled vainly to force me into the drop, but I would not do it!!
    that wasnt me was it?

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Is that "new" as in the one you unleashed on an unsuspecting world at Minnie's party (well, I hadn't seen it before then, anyway), or yet another one???

Not sure I can keep up...

Chris
    No, it's the same one but the colour, or should I say the shade of blond has changed....... again!

Your alright Chris but it's Ray that has trouble keeping up (notice I didn't put -'IT'- in that sentence!)

Gadget....your photo-editing of Trampy is excellent. I reckon he should pay you for that picture, after all, think of all the promotional material and internet dating sites it will appear on from now on !

Sorry Steve, couldn't resist

Originally posted by Nick M
    that wasnt me was it?
    Most definitely not!!! It was a guy who used to dance in Cardiff - he insisted in 'breaking the Ladies back' over his knee. It hurt!! He was a big guy, so it was really funny as we struggled for control - I won!!

If you are at Kingswood tomorrow night, save a dance for me?

Elaine

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)
    Originally posted by Jooles
    How awful that there are so few dancers that you trust not to yank you around the dance floor. I find so few that do that. The thing that puts me off a partner is when they take no notice whatsoever of people dancing near you and merrily spin you into anybody and everybody.
    Unfortunately there are some of these at al venues, although there is one move - the basket spin out thingummy watsit - where i have perfected the art of being able to swing the lady out to hit the bloke near me who doesn't care what he is doing to whom

[/i]
    You can tell quickly which guys are looking for a space for you to safely spin into and which guys just don't bother. I hadn't really noticed it until I had an operation in the summer and even after all this time I have a little part of me that is really tender to the touch and so am always concerned about being whacked there by a stray hand or elbow.
    I have got to admit there are times when I have looked for the all clear, moved my partner into the sexy dancing seducing bit, only for someone to have moved into the space as I am performing the move, and this occurs even on the most sparce dance floor - obviously I do not to 'dangle' my partner on a crowded floor, but it is amazing how many people i have seen try to do this!

[/i]
    It's a long time since I was a beginner so this is something that may be mentioned at beginners workshops, but I rarely hear teachers mentioning it at beginners classes.

They probably think it's common sense. Sadly we are not all blessed with enough of that !!!!
    As a Taxi dancer I suppose I should mention it to some of the beginners, but there are not many beginners moves that need this sort of advice, so really it is during the intermediate classes where the teachers should say something to the whole populous.

Originally posted by thewacko
    Unfortunately there are some of these at al venues, although there is one move - the basket spin out thingummy watsit - where i have perfected the art of being able to swing the lady out to hit the bloke near me who doesn't care what he is doing to whom
    Hmmm, don't lead it then?

SpinDr.

Originally posted by Sheepman
    That man reminds me of someone, now who could that be . . .
    Oh yes, how could I forget, he hit on me last time I was in Kemptown

Greg
    otherwise known as Camptown to us locals

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Originally posted by Minnie M
    otherwise known as Camptown to us locals
    Ah, you're one of the "Camptown ladies"?
    Sing this song, doo dah, doo dah

Originally posted by spindr
    Ah, you're one of the "Camptown ladies"?
    Sing this song, doo dah, doo dah
    'Camptown Ladies' I wonder if that is their signature tune

I would rather be known as a 'Brighton Belle' (without a song to go with it)

PS: and I am not referring to the train

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Minnie M
    and I am not referring to the train
    Why not? It was an icon, stylish, went to all the right places, and was fast

Greg

Determination

Spooky thing happened to me at Hammersmith a year or so ago..

There's a guy who I've noticed has a tendency to get carried away with his dancing at the expense of other people immediately around him. I know that whenever he's dancing near me I'm going to have problems protecting my partner and indeed the little bit of floorspace we're dancing on. He's not a small guy either.

So in the space of a couple of lines of lyrics this guy managed to step on my foot and then rake his shoe down the back of my achilles tendon. I carefully (after taking a deep breath and biting back the expletives) led a move or three that enabled me to thread through the crowd so that my partner and I were dancing at the opposite side of the hall, well away from the miscreant.

Imagine my horror when the song finished and I turned to leave the floor and found him dancing right behind and next to me...

Paranoid? You betcha....

...was watching a couple of good dancers at Dipsters on Tues & was surprised to c them doing pretty av. moves (maybe they saw me watching..) - wondered if this was due to lack of floorspace;even thu it wasnt packed its still seems that floorroom is an issue..

why doesnt Nigel teach more of this & make a public point of it - cos he is v good at it?

I think I have a sort of 6th sense to other dancers around me but there is always some selfish twerp who has to finish his mega travelling move or people who suddenly become like turkeys dazzled by lights when walking across dancefloor...

sorry I just like my space...

G

Originally posted by Graham W

...was watching a couple of good dancers at Dipsters on Tues & was surprised to c them doing pretty av. moves (maybe they saw me watching..) - wondered if this was due to lack of floorspace;even thu it wasnt packed its still seems that floorroom is an issue..
    I don't like the way you have phrased this: good dancers suprisingly doing average moves.... IMO complicated moves does not make a dance better. When a man has a gentle/good lead and is smiling at me, then i don't care about the moves (unless it is the arm jive ). Musicality is also a bonus!

I didn't think Hipsters was packed on tuesday, it is much better now they have moved the tables.

Originally posted by Graham W

why doesnt Nigel teach more of this & make a public point of it - cos he is v good at it?

G
    I think Nigel has taught this (correct me if i am wrong). He has encouraged people to dance in a slot as you take up less room. Every jive lesson is taught in a slot in order to maintain the rows and if dancers choose not to use this in freestyle, then there will be less floor space.

Kate
    Last edited by Katie; 29th-April-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Originally posted by Katie
    I don't like the way you have phrased this: good dancers suprisingly doing average moves.... IMO complicated moves does not make a dance better..........
    aren't you guys there to make us girlies look good

I agree with Kate, a great lead from a smiling considerate dancer is worth far far more than a lead who is trying to impress the follower (or who may be watching ) with clever moves

--ooOoo--

Thread Information