Thread: What do ladies want from the 'ideal' dance?

Question What do ladies want from the 'ideal' dance?

MJ is a led dance. The lead guides the direction of the dance and dictates the larger musical interpritation. The dance goes where he wants - but where does the lady wish it would go?

(Assuming that the men can lead the ladies in all the moves they try, on-beat, with the music, they don't have any personal hygene problems, and you feel comfortable with them.)

Obviously it should be fun with an element of musical interpritation but for you...
    - Should the dance have masses of variety or be based on a limited number of moves/patterns?
    - Should there be a few surprises or be nice and straight forward to relax into?
    - A couple of blanks for you to fill in or controlled completley through-out the dance?
    - Some dips/drops/seducers {with the music} or only the one? or perhaps lots?
    - Include complex moves or stick to the basics?
    - Should it streach your ability and force you to concentrate or just be a smooth ride?

or is it better to say what the 'ideal' dance would not include?

One word will answer this question, IMHO: "variety".

J

Re: What do ladies want from the 'ideal' dance?

Originally posted by Gadget
    MJ is a led dance. The lead guides the direction of the dance and dictates the larger musical interpritation. The dance goes where he wants - but where does the lady wish it would go?

or is it better to say what the 'ideal' dance would not include?
    I think this may be a good place to start, there isn't a list as such just those few really uncomfortable encounters that you would really prefer never to have had.

For me, it's the guys who dance, drop and move on without seeming to engage at any level with the person they are dancing with.

It's a very anonymous experience, as your very much an extension of their dance, an extension of their body and part of their expression.

They are often very engaged with the music and are highly creative so the experience isn't entirely negative

Quote Originally Posted by Dianas
    For me, it's the guys who dance, drop and move on without seeming to engage at any level with the person they are dancing with.
    Yes I agree with you on that one, you do get some guys where you dance with them and then think, "why did he even ask me? He didn't look like he enjoyed the experience!" Although strangely one or two of the guys I've thought that about have then come and asked me again, and are ok if you challenge them to smile!

I like guys who interpret the music. Unfortunately there aren't many of them in Peterborough . Most of them just plod on and wouldn't have a clue about trying to lead you into a seducer as the music pauses for a beat, or doing a twirly move for a twirly part of the music (if you see what I mean). I love dips and drops, but I know other girls that hate them, so I think that one depends on which lady you're dancing with.

I also personally like to do moves I haven't tried before, as it makes thing more interesting - as long as they're lead well, or the guy's happy to admit he's just learning them and willing to work out how best to lead them if what he first tried doesn't work. Some guys seem only to stick to beginner/easier intermediate moves, even though they've been dancing for years. Or worse they're so complacent they never change the record - which is dead boring.

Mixing it up and doing a variety of things whilst enjoying yourself and the music is the best way I can think of to describe it. I need to get a bit further afield though, you don't get much of that around here. Unfortunately, as someone (aptly) described on the forum my husband is a "muggle" and doesn't dance, so I have to balance my dancing life and my "other life". I'm going to Camber Sands in November though and there were some lovely dancers there last time I went, so I'm looking forward to that!

“Were the man leads the lady must follow” (Strictly Ballroom)

BUT

You should leading were she wants to go

There is a very good reason, why we are taught to look at our partner’s eyes

As Baldric said “Smile and the world wonders what you've been up to”

But we have an advantage - if you partner smiles, you know what you have been up to

You got it right - no need to ask the forum

Try a variety of moves and see which ones “click”

Thread Information