Thread: Personal Hygiene

Personal Hygiene

Most organisers have pepermints available on the entry desk - but what about B.O. - this must be the biggest turn off in dancing and I have been told not necessarily directed towards men

If dancing clothes are not washed the odour it is as bad if not worse than fresh B.O. and I have found this on a couple of experience (and popular) dancers. OR if you have eaten a highly spiced meal prior to dancing the odour appears to venture through the sweat glands

I must have a very sensitive nose as I can't stand this (my sense of smell must be acute due to my bad eyesight)

I have to admit all the forumites I have dance with do not have this problem, they either smell devine or are completely odourLESS

Any ideas to pass on to organisers to help the situation ?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Personal Hygiene

Originally posted by Minnie M
    Any ideas to pass on to organisers to help the situation ?
    Trouble is, what can the organisers do? Put up a notice saying "no smelly people admitted"? Regrettably, the whiffers probably aren't aware of their state, and this is what makes it so difficult.

I think about this in the following way:

I say to myself, suppose I smelt bad. Would I prefer to be told straightaway, and have the opportunity to do something about it pronto, or...

... would I prefer to have ladies dance with me, suffer in silence and say nothing, maybe week after week. I would thereby build up a rep as a whiffer, people would talk about me, people would avoid me, and all the while I would know nothing...

... until...

Somehow I found out.

I would realise I'd been stinking at people for weeks, maybe months... I would suddenly understand why I'd been blanked by some as I approached them for a dance... why others looked liked they weren't enjoying dancing with me...

... and I would realise, that since the girls talk amongst themselves, I would have a reputation as a stinker.

Well, all I can say is that although being told up front would not be the most pleasant experience, the latter would be MUCH WORSE.

I vote for biting the bullet, ladies, and, as gently as possible, telling the guy.

Fortunately the number of ladies with the same problem is miniscule by comparison.

Chris

Perhaps Franck could install a "metal detector" arch like thing at the pay-desk that spreys anti-odour on all those who walk through to pay? Perhaps with a foot pump linked to an under-counter, perfumed shotgun to target the really smelly ones?

On a more serious note, I think that a paragraph on a 'beginner's fact-sheet' would/should alert people to the possability.

{I must try and stop people feeding me garlic/curry/haggis/cabbage/beans/... before going out ...but it tases so good....anyone know if you get charcoal biscuits for humans?}

BO

At my first beginners class the teacher got straight to the point

“Every one please. Before you come dancing, have a shower,
    put on a clean shirt , use a deodorant and cut your nails”

Thread Information