Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Jive -Blackpool

UK Jive -Blackpool

Just back fromthe UK Open Jive Competition in Blackpool. A thoroughly enjoyable event , where lots of fun was had by all of the Scottish contingent!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! , to Bill,Laura and Lisa for taking second place in the Double Trouble event, but it has to be said that ,in my opinion,the judges should have nipped out to Vision Express ( only next door to the Winter Gardens), for a quick eyetest!!!!! I am sure that most of you who were there would agreethat the Aberdonians were robbed!:reallymad In fact, some of the judges other decisions could also be called into question!
    Congratulations also, to the 'Milk Tray Boys' - two lovely lads who came third in the Intermediate class- they provided the audience with a SUBERB display of dancing and lots of laughs and smiles- PURE ENTERTAINMENT!!!!(Is this the start of a new trend?-I spotted Scot and Obi dancing together in Marco's last week).
    As usual, us Scots came in the party mood, determined to have a good time and pretty well succeeded, dancing the night away until we were eventually thrown out after 2 am!!
    On the downside, someone should sack the male DJ - I don't know what I expected, but there was far too much obscure disco stuff and not enough swing/ blues/ rock n' roll music, which my sister assures me, they played lots of last year. ( Don't worry Scot, you are still top of the DJ list!!). Again in the Intermediate heats, they played music more suited to Salsa/Merengue ( Is that a dance or a Cake?) and so was a bit difficult for non Ceroc/Leroc dancers.
    A BIG BLACK MARK to some of our Southern counterparts who refused dances from some of the lovely ladies in our company.
    Rudeness and bad manners are inexcusable and it is virtually unheard of for a gentleman to refuse a lady a dance here in Scotland. If a man needs to sit out for a rest- then all he needs to do is explain politely, one of our company was told to get lost ( or words to that effect).
    Finally, a gold star goes to the lovely Roy, who at one point in the evening was incognito as an exhibit from the TutanKhamen Exhibition in the hall next door!! All in all the weekend was SUPERB!!!!!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Jive championships were great fun- and I agree totally 'Bill wuz robbed' - you never noted that Chris Docker of Edinburgh got 3rd place in the 'take a chance' competition - could this be cos he'll go on about it for months anyway

Cool

Heather,

Glad you enjoyed the event, like most people I thought it was a superb event, even better than last year.

Intersting points about the judging. I hope you won't take offence when I say there tends to be an element of partisanship when judging the results. The biggest contention seemed to be the Double Trouble. the Welsh LeRoc bunch all though the three girld from Cardiff should have won, The scotties were calling for Bill and many thought John's performance was head and shoulders above the rest. I thought that all three teams were excellent but at the end of the day, though you might not personaly agree with the result, you can't really argue with the calibre of the judges. They are quite simply the best there are, and as a Ceroc instructor myself I still include the Ceroc fraternity in that statement.

I've got my own differences of opinion on some of the judges decision but thats life. Likewise I would have prefered a different type of music, but that would be to have more chart and club music ... rather than the predominance of classic and swing music.

So, at the end of the day, I think that everyone will still have their own opinion as to who won or not, but all competitors have to accept the decision of the judges.

If Ceroc Scotland put on a event I think they could do a lot worse than to leran from the experienec of Chance to Dance. I think that there would be a lot of interest from the Midlands to compete.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Talking What weekends are for!

Well, I'm shattered - but boy was it worth it! Have to agree with Heather and Gus that it was a fabulous weekend. I thought the Friday night party was great and Saturday was even better!
    I know that everyone can't agree on the judging, and it is true to say that you always want your friends to win - still think Bill and the girls were robbed though!
    The atmosphere was great, the venue superb! Music was a bit iffy sometimes. The showcase dancing was fantastic and the arials something else -don't worry guys I'm not expecting you to try to throw me about like that! Do they teach different moves down south or do they just have more style workshops?
    I think it's just a bit strange that they allow the teachers to compete with the rest of the punters - shouldn't they have a category all of their own? And how about a senior section for those of us who are climbing up the hill - or are already over the top and heading back to the base camp?
    I wish we could have a Scottish event - I'm sure it would be well attended, maybe not from the London crowd but definitely those a bit further North.
    Spare a thought for poor Daniel O'Donnel, who was still signing autographs and having his picture taken, when we left at the back of 2am! He wasn't dancing, by the way, think he's a singer or something??????????????????

Wonder if my hubby would mind if I went to London too???

Talking

Excellent weekend, superb venue, standard of dancing excellent and much higher than expected (which is my excuse for being weeded out early on!)

Much more relaxed than the London Ceroc championships, not the same frenetic dashing from event to event, and a big plus was that most people could sit at tables at ground level and see what was going on, rather than struggling to see as at Hammersmith.

I agree with Gus (nice to know there are readers down south) - judging is always going to be a bit subjective and all 3 medallist trios in the Double Trouble were excellent. Having seen (and gasped at) John Sweeney's routine already at London I must admit to being a bit disappointed that it was more or less unchanged, so I really watched Bill and the girls more, and they were brilliant.

Congrats too to Chris for his 3rd place in the Take a Chance, and don't forget that Elsie and Jen each reached the final too and might well have got a place too. Same with Elsie and Brian in the Intermediate event - but that's back to judging the judges again!

Oh, and as there was only one team entry, who naturally picked up the prize money, there's an opportunity there for aspiring choreographers!

I didn't think much of the music either - no problem with the difficult stuff during the competitions, as it certainly challenged many people and perhaps brought out the best in others, but for the freestyle sessions it would have been nice to have more familiar music. Personal taste possibly.

Enough nitpicking, though - an excellent weekend and nice to see so many people from Scotland.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Great to hear you had such a fantastic time in Blackpool, the week-end sounds like it was brilliant.
    Once again, congratulations to all finalists / medallists from Scotland, it is great to see such an active presence from Scotland. Well done all.

Re. an event in Scotland, there will almost certainly be a couple of big events in Scotland.
    First of all the Scottish Championships (still being worked on at the moment).
    Second, as this is the 10th Anniversary of Ceroc in Scotland this year (the first night opened in Glasgow in September 1992), I am hoping to have a huge party in September / October this year... I will keep you posted, as I am still looking at ways of making it extra special !!!

Cheers,

Franck.

Cool

Yeah, was a great weekend, though I must admit I pegged out at midnight after the compo..(to scared of turning into a pumpkin...hehehehe). Anyway, the quality of the dancers were excellent though I still think Bill and the girls wuz robbed at double trouble, however they were all good. I'd definitely go back next year, this time maybe not drink so much red wine the night before...(hic).
    btw, I never knew the southern lot refused to dance with the ladies, bad form....very bad form. The milk tray guys were superb and definitely deserved the award, and not just for novelty either, they danced superbly. I must agree with Heather too, there was a time when the music was just awful, I was asked up to dance and danced thru 3 songs and never realised it. Ahhhh bring back the birdie song!!...NOT!...timeless classics...lol.
    OMG!!....Daniel O'Donnell, I've never seen the like before, poor guy.....there was a queue of blue rinses for hours. If that doesn't drive ya to drink then I dunno...lol. I have a great pic of Bill and the girls, I could post here but would have to check with them first.

Anyways, Excellent weekend!..roll on next year!

Fox
    ~heading to gym so he can throw sheena about...hehehhe~

B.T.C.

Blackpool

Thought I'd posted a reply but it doesn't seem to be there...but I never have been much of a wizz on computers.

Thanks again for all the positive comments from frineds and from dancers from other clubs. Had a great time and I have to say there were only 1 decision I really didn't agree with and as Gus says it is always down to personal bias when you watch friends dancing but the girls and I were delighted to be placed, especially as it was the first time we had danced together in public. SO we have no complaints. Indeed Laura was quoted as syaing she felt the 3 girls should have won, or at least come second ! Thanks Lisa !!

However, a friend of mine and her dance partner made the final of the advanced competition and danced superbly and I think deserved at least second place so well done Helen and Craig from down Huddersfield way !!!!!

While the girls and I may have won a medal all the dancers from Scotland should be congratulated for making it down and showing dancers from all over the country that the standard here is pretty good !!!!!! And a very special thanks to Fran for not only helping me into the second round of the advanced but for getting to the final of the Lucky Dip.

See you all soon.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Just a comment on the 3 girls that came 3rd in the double trouble. There was no way they were going to be placed higher than that as they danced a showcase and not double trouble - most of their moves were not lead/follow moves and i think if the unplaced 3 teams had been better, they wouldnt have been in the top 3 at all.

Just an opinion

Whos up for the caberet next year ? It was an automatic 350 pound payment for the only team that bothered to enter - must be a fair chance of winning . (not that £350 splits into 20 or so very well)

Interesting point made by Messr Scathe. The point was made that some of the double troubles may have been relying on choreograhed moves ..... but for the most part it seemed that all the 'Trouble' competitors seemed to be doing that .... and I think that seems to be par for the course.

I'm a bit more curous as to the level of apparent choreographed moves in the 'freestyle'. Watching videos from previous competitons ... and particularly in the advanced class at Blackpool, there seemed to be real evidence of some dancers using set patterns, sometimes regardless of the music. This may look slick but is it freestyle?? Answers on the back of a post card please.

PS Frank .... are you going to put on a Competition ... if so the North West posse would love to support it.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus
    PS Frank .... are you going to put on a Competition ... if so the North West posse would love to support it.
    Yes, we are definitely having a Scottish Championship this year...
    2002 happens to be the 10th anniversary of Ceroc in Scotland (first night was in Autumn 1992 in Glasgow) and there will be a lot of special events.
    Scot is working very hard on it at the moment and I am sure he will be very grateful for your support.

Cheers,

Franck.

P.S. I agree re. choreographed routines in freestyle events, but I suppose the line becomes blurred when you have been dancing for years and know some tracks inside out, to the point where you end up freestyling in a choreographed fashion...
    It's a tough one, and I do not envy the judges.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Thumbs up Cabaret!

Hi there Scathe!

Can't speak for everyone but the Dundee crowd are definitely up for a cabaret next year. We were talking about it on the way home and it would be such fun! Lots of work though, and somebody would need to take control. I think the Edinburgh crew - Elsie for sure! and also the Aberdeen gang would love to take part.
    Was there anyone from Glasgow in Blackpool?
    I'm sure we could do just as well as some of the teams from London last year. The money is not important, as you say it wouldn't add up to very much and you have to win to get it anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Cabaret

03.55 am, Sheena????? You must have been still running on adrenaline after your Aberdeen shenanigans!!!!

There were certainly enough good dancers from Scotland who were at Blackpool to put on a pretty good cabaret performance, if we are determined.

As well as the obvious ones like a theme, the music, a routine and somewhere to practice (how big's your living room, Sheena??) I think it also needs someone who is acknowledged as the leader and can take difficult decisions like choosing who takes part and who does what - eg the winning (only) team at Blackpool was clearly led by George, who teaches at the Prestwich club in Manchester.

So..... we have the will and the ability - now we need the creativity and the leadership. Any suggestions?

B.T.C.
    On the subject of choreographed moves, I'd agree that in most of the freestlye competitions dancers will have some moves they want to do during a record whether it be intermediate, advanced or the Double Trouble.

The most important thing is whether the dance and movement goes with the music. There's no point learning a sequence of moves unless they do follow the beat of the music that's playing. I've seen couples dance to a song and completely ignoring the music in order to get their moves in. There was one couple in the advanced final that seemed to be doing exactly that

As for a team event. Good diea but as has been sadi..........who decides who is part of the team, who decides on the routine, the rehearsal time and venue, the costumes etc etc.......How would it affect the morale in a class if some dancers were 'rejected' ? Anyway. good luck to anyone who wants to take it on........ there will probably be a dozen teams next year after the plea for others to participate.

good dancing to everyone.......

Question Scotland Jive comp.

The discussion re: Team entries from Bill Foreman - given that there is a wealth of talent in Aberdeen, Dundee, Rosyth, Edinburgh and Glasgow why should only one team be entered from Scotland. There is nothing to stop any group of people from any location entering a team. This would also add an additional element of competativeness.

PS,
    Dundee would win so perhaps the other centres should abstain, or could I be wrong ??.

Blog Entries

Re: Scotland Jive comp.

Originally posted by snoopy
    There is nothing to stop any group of people from any location entering a team. This would also add an additional element of competativeness.

Dundee would win so perhaps the other centres should abstain, or could I be wrong ??.
    Hi Snoopy,

Welcome to the Forum, there is nothing like a controversial first post to get things interesting

I reckon each city should put on a cabaret team entry... The effort would definitely be worthwhile as they could use the routine at the London Champs and also at the Scottish Champs.

So go on, all budding choreographers, get thinking and put a team together.

Franck.

B.T.C.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm...... several Scottish teams eh !!! Might be a good idea and there is certainly the talent but would all the relationships survive the direct competition ???

Good luck to anyone who wants to organise the teams and I've already heard several suggestions for themes, costumes etc....

As for the Scottish Champs.....I'm probably a wimp but I don't like the idea of dancing against friends. In England it's fun because we don't know that many dancers from down south but competing against people I know would be more difficult ( I think)

Ah well, all the best to Franck and Scot in getting a Scottish Championship under way. There is a competition in England ( Bristol I think) on 17th August so some potential competitiors may already be booked up for that.

Happy dancing

Thumbs up

Originally posted by bill foreman

As for the Scottish Champs.....I'm probably a wimp but I don't like the idea of dancing against friends. In England it's fun because we don't know that many dancers from down south but competing against people I know would be more difficult ( I think)
    That's a valid point Bill makes - I tell any newcomers to Ceroc that it's not competitive, and as long as they're enjoying themselves it doesn't really matter what their standard is. Championships obviously run counter to that concept, but as long as it's all fun it doesn't much matter - when it becomes serious it does.

As we can see from this thread, the judging won't please everyone and it is quite possible someone will get upset - funnily enough it's usually someone in the audience on behalf of someone else, as the individual competitors don't generally seem to bother.

So, would we have to follow the lead of football and get neutral referees, so that Scot, Franck etc don't get booed and hissed off the dance floor?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by John S
    That's a valid point Bill makes - I tell any newcomers to Ceroc that it's not competitive, and as long as they're enjoying themselves it doesn't really matter what their standard is. Championships obviously run counter to that concept, but as long as it's all fun it doesn't much matter - when it becomes serious it does.
    You are right of course, for ages, Ceroc was dead set against competition, based on the fact that it had probably contributed to the decline of Ballroom as a social dance... These days it is very hard to find a Ballroom dancing class which does not push you towards competition...
    It is possible though to have a relaxed / fun competition, where the emphasis is on everyone having a good time.
    It is very important that we do not start laying standards / rules as being the "right way" and therefore imply a "wrong way" :sorry
    My favourite category at the Champs is always the Lucky Dip, as it allows people to mix and genuinely great performances to surface.

So, would we have to follow the lead of football and get neutral referees, so that Scot, Franck etc don't get booed and hissed off the dance floor?
    Well, that is a tough one... Judges should obviously be qualified and impartial (as much as possible ).
    The main part is to lay out the judging criteria very clearly in advance of the competition, and then make sure that all the judges are properly trained / briefed in what to look for.

Still, I am sure there will be a lot of talk before and after either event

Franck.

Competitions

On the subject of competing against friends and people that you know,I thought it might be interestig to point out the motto of the Aberdeen and North East of Scotland Music Festival, in which I have competed for many years :- 'Not to gain a prize or defeat a rival, but to pace one another on the road to excellence'.
    When you take part in this competition, you get a 'crit' from an adjudicator, in other words, you are told what you have done wrong, what you have done right and how you can improve your performance. Hopefully, the crit is constructive, and you can learn from it. The same should apply in dancing- if you are going to enter something like this at all, then it should not be with the sole aim of 'Beating' everyone else. It should be treated as a learning experience!! Unfortunately some people are so full of themselves that this is impossible! I observed that, if some of the folks in Blackpool were Chocolate they would have eaten themselves!!
    Do the judges in these competitions give pointers for improvement or are prizes just awarded with no reason given?

Thread Information