Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UK Jive -Blackpool

Cool

Dear Snoopy (my anonymous fellow-Fifer)

Just in case you're wondering why there's no responses to your message here, Franck has opened up a brand new thread for this topic, where presumably any followups will be.

Good topic!

Maybe time to ressurect this thread again,

thinki it started with some controvesy re who did/should have/might have won various categories. just got my copy of the video ... think it may open up the debate again.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: UK Jive -Blackpool

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Jive championships were great fun- and I agree totally 'Bill wuz robbed' - you never noted that Chris Docker of Edinburgh got 3rd place in the 'take a chance' competition - could this be cos he'll go on about it for months anyway

Hmm someone just gave me negative reputation points and the comment 'I hate the smurfs' for this - posted more than 2 years ago. It was a joke...sheesh. Someone doesnt have a sense of humour .

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Hmm someone just gave me negative reputation points and the comment 'I hate the smurfs' for this - posted more than 2 years ago. It was a joke...sheesh. Someone doesnt have a sense of humour .
    I just got clobbered too, just because I ressurected the thread! IT WAS TWO YEARS AGO!! What a**hole is slamming out negatives just because they dont want a topic discussed???? SEARCH AND DESTROY .... Censorship by stealth!

By the way ... whats the next competition coming up to start whinging about

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    By the way ... whats the next competition coming up to start whinging about
    Intermediates in the Jive Masters???

Gus:

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Intermediates in the Jive Masters???

Gus:

J

Ohhhhh get you! Fair comment ... it was a point I raised in a PM to Jayne. I KNOW that some Intermediates are superb (Chris A & Jayne, FC & JB etc.) .... BUT, the Jivemasters were launched as being the Best of the Best .... bringing all the winners of the Advanced categories together in one big shoot out. Given there are about 5 UK Championships, with about 6 couples in each final ... allowing for some common dancers, that would still give around 20+ couples to fight it out. So ... has the ethos changed?

The Forum Legend

I'm not so sure that you'd get 20+ couples out of the top 5 UK finals with 6 couples Gus.

Looking at the ones this year, out of Blackpool and Ceroc, you'd get:

Clayton & Janine
    Lily & David/Viktor
    Hayley & Gary/Steve
    Will & Kate
    Ray & Jane
    Adam & Taz
    Steve & Julie

That's out of 11 possible couples (6 in Blackpool advanced, 5 in London Open). I think that the more you go on, the greater the duplication...I wasn't at Britroc last year, but I know that Will & Kate won it, and Adam & Taz did well (2nd?). Apart from Ben & Katie, I don't know who else was in the final. But I suspect that you wouldn't find that many different couples.

In addition, since they are having at least 6 heats in London, and 3 regional heats, with 5 couples each time this year, that means that they need at least 45 couples.

Given that some of the couples who might well be asked will not want (or be able) to compete in the Jive Masters for whatever reason (not being able to get to the final in November is a good one), then they will probably need a bigger pool than 45 couples.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    , and 3 regional heats
    WHAT 3 HEATS?? Last I heard, neither Manchester or Birmigham events had a venue nor date and are looking distinctly like they aint taking place. Where does that leave the likes of Leeds Lynn, Pistol Pete, Keith & Janey and the other Stars from out-of- London

The Forum Legend

I believe that the heats will take place, since it is advertised that they will.

The final isn't until the middle of November. That gives 5.5 months. Which is plenty of time for them yet to be organised. I wouldn't start worrying about it for some time yet.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    ... I KNOW that some Intermediates are superb (Chris A & Jayne, FC & JB etc.) .... BUT, the Jivemasters were launched as being the Best of the Best .... bringing all the winners of the Advanced categories together in one big shoot out. Given there are about 5 UK Championships, with about 6 couples in each final ... allowing for some common dancers, that would still give around 20+ couples to fight it out. So ... has the ethos changed?
    (wrong thread for this really, but ...) I agree with Trampy that there just wouldn't be enough Advanced category finalists available, willing and able to fill the JiveMasters competition. And, as we've said before, there are many many brilliant dancers who either haven't yet competed in the advanced (prime example: James and Melanie), or competed at all.

I for one certainly think it's worth making the long journey to Chigwell to be able to watch the likes of Chris and Jayne, Emma and Alex, etc, even if they are still 'technically' intermediate (yeah right!!). I'd also love the chance to see some of the more northern dancers you mention who I'm unfamiliar with (Pistol Pete? ... sounds exciting!!). How many times, at a dance, would you really just want to sit out and watch a couple dancing, but never get the chance? JiveMasters has got to be the best competition for complete uninterrupted viewing ...

Though how anyone has the nerve to get up there, alone, and dance in front of all those people is beyond me ... I think they all deserve huge admiration!

BTW Adam, if you see this - a bit of a plug ... has anyone considered inviting Mike, who came second in the intermediates at Hammersmith, to compete?
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    the likes of Chris and Jayne, ..., etc, even if they are still 'technically' intermediate (yeah right!!).
    Well. Technically, we're now "advanced" according to the consensus that seems to say "place and you move up". But we don't feel very advanced, I can tell you, even though we're happy to go with that consensus. And as for:

Though how anyone has the nerve to get up there, alone, and dance in front of all those people is beyond me ... I think they all deserve huge admiration!
    ... it's beyond me too.

(but admire away )

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Well. Technically, we're now "advanced" according to the consensus that seems to say "place and you move up". But we don't feel very advanced, I can tell you, even though we're happy to go with that consensus. ...
    Yes, you're right of course, sorry! I was still thinking of your previous 'status' according the level you chose to compete at.

(Will look forward to seeing you compete in the Advanced at ... where? ... Scottish champs?)
    R.

Thread Information