Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Championships 2004

Commercial Operator

Ceroc Championships 2004

Well, having read a few of the comments to date I kindafeel like I am stepping into the proverbial 'Lions Den' with this thread but hey, what is the worst that can happen!
    As the guy who is responsible for organising the Ceroc Champs I thought I should put my point of view on this matter, and open a thread where any questions or points of view relating to the Ceroc Champs can be answered/aired.
    So here we go......
    I appreciate that there has been some negative feedback about Hammersmith Palais, and I'm not entirely happy with everything about the venue myself, but since last years event myself and/or Mike have visited many venues across the country and throughout London to consider alternatives and basically we have not found a suitable replacement..
    This is one of the reasons we were late getting started this year.
    We have been to see Earls Court, Olympia, Crystal Palace, RAH, a number of hotels including The Grosvenor and 7 night clubs in and around London, as well as Birmingham Indoor Arena and many other venues outside London.
    However, our requirements are very specific in terms of things like balconies and changing facilities, and a lot of venues simply haven't the facilities. The venues that have these facilities such as Earls Court and Olympia simply don't work financially. When you hire a venue of this size, you have to bring in chairs, tables, clothes rails, partitioning, carpet, music and lighting equipment, dance floor etc. We costed out an event at Olympia and that came in at nearly £90,000, which if we attracted say 1500 people equates to +- about £60 per person just for the venue before you add office admin, credit card charges, flyers etc - this is just the cost of staging the event. The Grosvenor Hotel which has one of the biggest indoor spaces in Central London would cost around £50,000 to hire, absolutely nobody could bring in their own drink or food and the cost of a bottle of water is £2.50.

The reality is that there simply aren't the venues with the facilities to stage an event of the Champs size and format for a reasonable ticket price.

So back to the Palais.
    The Palais has had a general refurbishment and is now under new management.
    They have made a number of improvements such as removing the palm trees and podiums.
    We are looking at increasing the viewing capacity, and have a couple of ideas we think will work well in this regard.

We are negotiating with the Management about the security arrangements and hope that there will not be such a draconian attitude on the door this year.
    What went on last year was ridiculous and we are adamant it will not happen again.

We are opening earlier this year to keep the freestyle sections as long as possible.
    We cannot extend the event passed midnight due to the local licensing laws.

One quick point about the 'Old Git' section in case any one missed it. The category is sponsored by 'Old Git Wines' which are produced by Paul Boutinot, hence the name. It is nothing to do with how Ceroc views people over 45 year old as was suggested in one post. This category has been requested by people for the last couple of years so we thought we would give it a try. The name is supposed to be tongue in cheek!

So, if you have got any questions or anything to say on the matter then lets have it!

David

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Nice to hear another side to the story, it was starting to feel as if Ceroc wasnt bothered about public opinion. Hopefully the improvements will be noticed this year, i may even go if you promise the bloody palm trees are gone

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Great post David I, for one, am making the journey down - got my ticket this morning, and am looking forward to it.
    Wonder if I can find a partner on that link you've got on the website.............
    p.s. Think people know the "old git" title is for fun - but be warned - John and Hazel will be competing
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I have three questions:

1. Will there be changing facilities?
    Two years ago it was twenty guys hiding behind a curtain with no lighting.

2. Have the tolet facilities have been improved?
    Previously they boardered on disgusting.

3. Will there be a supply of water to prevent dehydration?

Thanks

Bradders, thank you for that post - it has cleared up a lot of speculation, and reassured us all that Ceroc does listen and takes note. I also appreciate that to find a suitable venue at such short notice is a pretty tall order, and given that the change of guv'nor was only recent as well - things just don't happen overnight.

The refurbishment of the Palais (and new management) sounds promising. The ladies changing area is certainly big (and comfortable) enough, but can we request a bit more lighting - man, it's dark in there!

Thank goodness those bl**dy palm trees are going!! Nice one.

Gareth, last year the bar at the far end from the entrance were happy to give me tap water whenever I asked them (no charge). How about having large jugs of water on the bar counter so people can help themselves thus reducing queueing for those who want to buy 'proper' drinks - take some of the pressure of the bar staff.

Not that any of us are demanding at all but is the floor buffed before the event? Does anyone else think the floor is erm 'difficult'?

Thanks again for the post - I think everone appreciates it. The event is now beginning to sound more tempting.

M

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Mary
    Not that any of us are demanding at all but is the floor buffed before the event? Does anyone else think the floor is erm 'difficult'?
    Doubt the floor is buffed. Apparently, (and not surprisingly) there is a "school disco" in there on the Saturday night. It's amazing that it's ready for us to use by midday really!!

Trampy

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Apparently, (and not surprisingly) there is a "school disco" in there on the Saturday night
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Sheena
    What??

There's a school disco party (apparently, they are the rage now, you go to a nightclub dressed in school uniform) in the Hammersmith Palais on the Saturday night before the champs.

Why was that confusing? Or was it just that you didn't know what a school disco is Sheena? It really wasn't that long ago

Trampy

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Thank goodness those bl**dy palm trees are going!! Nice one.
    I quite liked the palm trees

Why was that confusing
    It was the "not surprisingly" that confused me...............and yes they did have discos - even when I was at school, cheeky b*****
    Sheena (not quite old enough for the "old gits")

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Sheena
    It was the "not surprisingly" that confused me...............and yes they did have discos - even when I was at school, cheeky b*****
    Sheena (not quite old enough for the "old gits")
    Ah. The "not surprisingly" was because they were unlikely to miss out on a Saturday nights income because we were in there on the Sunday. Which means that they won't close until the very early hours. It'll be a good effort to get it at all ready for us. Let alone actually buffing the floor....

Trampy

Ah. The "not surprisingly" was because they were unlikely to miss out on a Saturday nights income because we were in there on the Sunday. Which means that they won't close until the very early hours. It'll be a good effort to get it at all ready for us. Let alone actually buffing the floor....

Trampy
    But not impossible! Just means some poor souls are going to have a very early start.

M

Commercial Operator
    To answer the questions put so far;

Yes, there will be changing facilities and lighting is one thing that has been raised from last years event so we will be improving the lighting in the changing areas.

The toilets were actually refurbished before last years event and were a lot better that they were the year before.
    I'm not actually sure if there have been further improvements since the new owners. I will have to check and report back.
    There is a dedicated cleaner on hand during the day of the event who goes around the toilets to make sure they are OK and supplied. We had a couple of flooding problems the year before last but no huge problems last year.

You can get tap water from any of the bars and I will ensure that there are jugs of tap water available also. Maybe also in the canteen area.

The floor is scrubbed and washed after the School Disco.
    (Lots of drunk people partially dress in school uniforms, apparently it is a real meat market... but I have never been!!!) The cleaners come in at about 3.30am. I will request that the floor gets buffed. I am sure they have the appropriate equipment.
    (Also have to ensure it does not end up like an ice rink after buffing).

Thanks for feedback.

David

Can we bring our own food this time and not worry about being body searched It's so much nicer to choose what you're going to need for the day with regard to nutrition, than being forced into coming with nothing and relying on the venue.

Originally posted by Pammy
    Can we bring our own food this time and not worry about being body searched It's so much nicer to choose what you're going to need for the day with regard to nutrition, than being forced into coming with nothing and relying on the venue.
    As there is an eatery in the venue I can't imagine they would be too chuffed about people blatantly bringing their own food in. However, I am happy to leave my bananas, protein bars, sarny etc. at the door like last year - good excuse to get out of the gloom for a few minutes and take a break.

M

However, I am happy to leave my bananas, protein bars, sarny etc. at the door like last year - good excuse to get out of the gloom for a few minutes and take a break.

M
    you got the wrong idea here Mary.... the reason it is nice to leave these healthy things at the door is so that we can eat the burgers and chips and whatever else there is there without feeling quite as guilty because its not our fault!

Originally posted by Doc Iain
    you got the wrong idea here Mary.... the reason it is nice to leave these healthy things at the door is so that we can eat the burgers and chips and whatever else there is there without feeling quite as guilty because its not our fault!
    Listen pal, I have a reputation to keep up on here (not quite sure what it is though ) as if I'd be caught dead eating in a greasy spoon cafe! You know I'm not partial to chips - honest

No seriously though, it's nice to have the choice as to where you want to eat. Blackpool did really reasonable food and I ended up buying food there, but it's also nice to have your own choice of fruit etc. in your bag too.

yes, variety and choice is nice....maybe we could set up an alternative food area at the other side? So that way people can have a choice of which greasy spoon .

Not sure at this rate I may be able to make it anyway for anything other than the evening...

Listen Pammy, just because you might not find any cockroaches at the Palais eatery doesn't mean you can bring your own in.

Oops. That might sound a bit wrong, but Pammy will know what I mean. Oh, and Doc Iain for that matter - members of the chip squad.

M

Thread Information