Thread: Two ladies on the go?

Two ladies on the go?

]Originally posted by Wendy
    So impressed that I nearly agreed to one of those double-trouble nonsenses (usually, I'm far too possessive to share - a bit like giving away my last rolo !!!)
    Oh yes, that's actually one of my pet hates ... Double trouble - why??? Am I missing something? - is it just me? - I just really don't understand double trouble. I still haven't quite worked out why I'm so against it, but to me, it kind of misses the whole point of a dance with someone.

Am I just being selfish? Do men do it because they think it looks impressive? Or are they being particularly selfless, given that there are usually more men than ladies at a venue?

Ok, maybe I can understand it from the man's point of view - which guy wouldn't want two girls around him? But, even then, the men seem to be concentrating so hard on what moves they can do, they miss out on any kind of 'intimacy' (you know I only mean that in a dancing sense) that you'd normally get from a dance.

Am I making any sense here? Is it only me who thinks like this? Can anyone tell me why they enjoy doing double trouble?

I'd have to agree with you. Never saw the attraction myself. In fact the two parties I was at where they taught a "double trouble fun class" I sat out.

I'd rather go line dancing.

James.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Yeah, I have to admit too that I'm yet to see the joys of double trouble. I guess it's something different to do if you want a challenge... I did think that the women who won the DT competition at the 2002 Championships looked fabulous - very slick - but I'd rather watch it than dance it

Dumb or dumber?

James, call me thick, but I've just seen the light! I've been studying your avatar for ages and only just realised what it is - 2 left feet, right?

I always thought it was a clockface on the shoes and guessed that they represented time steps in tap dancing. Ooops, now I feel silly!

Originally posted by Emma
    it's something different to do if you want a challenge...
    Yes, I guess you're right about the double trouble - just something different and more complex to do. I think there are always more challenges and things to learn when it comes to dancing. Ceroc, for example, is a great basis for developing into other styles, blues, lindy, swing, ... Personally I'd rather stick to the one-on-one dancing but, if other people want to do double trouble, that's fine.

Much as I dislike it, I wouldn't actually refuse if someone asked me to do double trouble - though I always have this initial moment of confusion when a man comes to ask me for a dance and he's already got another woman in tow.

James, call me thick, but I've just seen the light! I've been studying your avatar for ages and only just realised what it is - 2 left feet, right?

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone as to my abilities, would I? I'm lucky in Aberdeen - there a lot of good female dancers that make even the poorest dancer look great.

James.

B.T.C.
    Hi Rachel...............we may have danced in Northampton when I was down a few months ago. Say hi to Ash and Jo from me ( and Fran.....he'll remember her rather than me )

As for Double Trouble I can understand why some folk would dislike it and yes most men are thinking rather than dancing ( as most of us do anyway) and there isn't always the same intimacy.
    But..... ......it can be great fun. I only know a handful of double trouble moves and can lead the two girls I entered Blackpol with becuase we practiced but am not good enough to lead two women I don't know. But they really enjoy doing it and when it's well done it can look very impressive.

The three girls who won in London did look wondeful but our own Scot, Shonagh and Elaine were pretty marvellous to. Pity Ceroc cocked up the results by calling out the wrong number for the final :reallymad

Anyway, it's all about fun and if it's done for the right reasons - having fun rather than trying to show off to the rest of the crowd then I think it's fine.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Two ladies on the go?

Originally posted by Rachel
    Oh yes, that's actually one of my pet hates ... Double trouble - why??? Am I missing something? - is it just me? - I just really don't understand double trouble. I still haven't quite worked out why I'm so against it, but to me, it kind of misses the whole point of a dance with someone.
    I tend to agree with you Rachel, I am not a big fan of dancing with 2 partners... I have taught the odd fun class and they are usually very popular though!

I think there is a strong element of "showing off" involved (at least for the men). There is a certain cachet in being able to 'lead' 2 women at once without getting entangled (or worse becoming repetitive! ).
    I reckon for the men it is a new challenge and it does make your brain work...

For the women, I think it gives them the chance to improvise more, as the man is usually busy leading the other woman, you have the chance to add your own brand of style etc...

So all in all, both parties benefit, women get a slower paced dance where they can express themselves more (in direct competition to the other partner! ) and the men get a new challenge and look impressive...

Franck.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Two ladies on the go?

Originally posted by Franck
    So all in all, both parties benefit, women get a slower paced dance Franck.
    Well, not always Franck, I have seen Scot dancing to some fairly quick music with two ladies and I've been lucky enough to be involved on the odd occasion!
    where they can express themselves more (in direct competition to the other partner! ) and the men get a new challenge and look impressive...
    Sorry, disagree again - half of the fun of doing double trouble is to try and mirror your lady partner in terms of style so that you both look very together. When the guy is doing different moves with each of you then you can express yourself- it's definitely not a competition to see who can be "more stylish" within the dance.

Guess I've given the game away, I enjoy doing double trouble - it's fun I wouldn't like to be doing it all night but I think it offers a challenge to both the guys leading and the girls. In fact I'm off to the double trouble workshop on Sunday and am really looking forward to it.

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Two ladies on the go?

Originally posted by Sheena
    Sorry, disagree again - half of the fun of doing double trouble is to try and mirror your lady partner in terms of style so that you both look very together. When the guy is doing different moves with each of you then you can express yourself- it's definitely not a competition to see who can be "more stylish" within the dance.
    Well I added the bit about direct competition as a little tease (as per the little devil), and you are right, Double Trouble is at its best when both women are on the same wave length and mirror or play off each other...
    Guess I've given the game away, I enjoy doing double trouble - it's fun I wouldn't like to be doing it all night but I think it offers a challenge to both the guys leading and the girls. In fact I'm off to the double trouble workshop on Sunday and am really looking forward to it.
    It's ok to admit it, Sheena, no shame in it In any event, you know you are an addict!
    Have fun on Sunday, I was really keen to go as well, but it clashed with my youngest son's birthday party...

I will see you next week though at the Mad Style week-end (yep, I got your cheque! )

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Two ladies on the go?

Originally posted by Franck
    ...It's ok to admit it, Sheena, no shame in it In any event, you know you are an addict!
    Whatever do you mean Franck? You been speaking to my husband again
    I will see you next week though at the Mad Style week-end (yep, I got your cheque! )

Franck.
    Thankx Franck, 'fraid your original confirmation e-mail must have got binned. Looking forward to it - how mad do we need to be though? Is it FC mad or furious mad?

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Two ladies on the go?

how mad do we need to be though? Is it FC mad or furious mad?
    Definitely FC mad (This has to enter the dictionnary, it's too good a phrase ). The whole thing is crazy from the outset, with 2 workshops at extreme ends of Scotland in one week-end! And if that was not mad enough, we are also partying 'til the small hours and most of us staying in the same hotel... Aberdeen won't know what's hit them!

Just to keep you all posted, I have a few more spaces for the Glasgow workshops left (men and women), and just a few men spaces for the Aberdeen workshop on the Sunday.
    So get on the phone / email / private message and book yourselves ASAP, you know you want to and you'll regret missing it when you read about it afterwards

Franck.

F.C. mad it is then Franck - I think us Dundonians could manage that - JUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    F.C. mad it is then Franck - I think us Dundonians could manage that - JUST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Manage it ????? You invented the concept

Enjoy your Double Trouble tomorrow, and save some energy for the Treble Trouble next week

Franck.

F.C. MAD

hahahaha i like it

man! i'm gonna be like a tourist attraction for all cerocers visiting Scotland!!

"Roll up, roll up. Witness the original MAD F.C."

Can be found at the Aberdeen party on the 21st September. Bring a limbo pole and join in the festivities

Can't make the style workshops but you know i wouldn't miss the party for the world!

who wants the letters BSc. and MSc. after their name??? mine is SOOOO much cooler!

filthycute MAd. x x

ps. where is everyone staying on Saturday night???

Blog Entries

Re: F.C. MAD

Originally posted by filthycute
    ps. where is everyone staying on Saturday night???
    The Venue for the party on Saturday 21st September (8.00pm to 1.00am) will be
    - The Aberdeen Northern Hotel
    1, Great Northern Rd
    Aberdeen
    AB24_3PS

Click here for the Multimap link

And most people travelling up will be staying there. It is a bit more expensive than the Travelodges, but they do include a full cooked breakfast (and we might need it after the partying ) and you don't have to drive or travel after the party, you can stumble straight out of bed into the workshop!
    The normal cost is £75.00, but I have negotiated a discount: £62.50 per Double / Twin room. You can also get a Dinner Bed and Breakfast deal for an extra £10.00.
    To book, phone 01224 483342 and mention you are part of the Ceroc party and the rate was authorized by Lorna.

See you then,

Franck.

B.T.C.
    Anyone who was at the Double Trouble workshop with Scot on Sunday will realise just how much everyone can have when they do it

It can be tiring and I hihnk everyone thee was exhausted by the end but watching someone like Scot with Shonagh and Elaine is a real joy.

I can do a few moves but can't lead them that well yet and I'm trying not to stick my tongue out when I concentrate :sorry It's meant to be fun and it's not the kind of dancing you do with anyone but it's great especially when it goes wrong......as it invariably does

Now I have to try and practice a few of those moves tonight before I forget them all a mind like sieve I have..... ah well :p

Thread Information