Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Competition Dance Style

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Competition Dance Style

Originally posted by Sheepman
    No, thank you!
    Lesson 2 in a fortnight! Then we'll be swinging!

Greg
    Woooo Hooooooo
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Keely Chambers was dancing with a guy called Simon who's surname I don't know.
    Just to set the record right, Keely Chambers danced with Simon Bowker. They are both fantastic dancers with a pretty unique style. Simon is a true inspiration, by introducing many new ideas and moves to MJ.

IMHO C2D certainly encouraged a latin style of dancer. This suits me, but might be detremental to dancers with "street" Style for example. The finals certainly consisted of Latin Tracks.

Commercial Operator

Re: Competition Dance Style

Originally posted by Gus
    {ODA Mode On}.... look at the performances of Kate,
    Can you confirm which Kate you are referring to? I presume you mean Will's partner, but don't forget that there were at least 2 famous Kate's out there on Saturday!

Greg

Re: Dan & Lisa

I remember it too, and their routine was definitely the best one, inspring.

I believe they got disqualified because of a lack of traditional modern jive content in the spotlight. But back then people were stick in the mud about that sort of thing. If someone has done ballroom latin style they would have disqualified them too. Luckily the rules have changed now and spotlights are anything goes.

Their freestyle looked good because they were both good individual movers, but you could see that the whole lead / follow thing wasn't cohesive, and looked awkward and rough, which would be why they never did well in Advanced freestyle.

Its not the club style that was ever a problem.

But I do think good performance tends to involve big motions and lots of straight arms, so that you can be seen from a distance. Like you see in musicals & stage shows.

While clubby style has to means dancing minimalist in a small space, like you would at a club. Great for social dancing, but will never attract people's attention from 100 paces.

B.T.C.

Re: Competition Dance Style

Originally posted by Gus
    {ODA Mode On}

OK .... since when did Modern Jive become Modern Latin Jive?? Looking back over the dominant competition style these days it seems clear that there is a clear move towards the Latin Ballroom style at competitions ... especially for Ladies. any views?

Fran and I discussed this last night and agree that the whole style - especially for women has gone very much into the Latin/ballroom style. If you look even at the outfits that more women are now wearing you can see the influence and that seems to be filtering down through the levels.

It may be a good thing but is that because more women and possibly men are entering who have danced ballroom/latin beofre or because they feel they now have to to do well in major comps ????

The only couple who were placed in either Advanced or Intermediate that I remember not having a'latin' style was Mel and James. Both Lily and Vikotr and C & J have styles which are more of a latin style ( I would suggest) and Hayley - if not latin has a very elegant style which seems more latin than 'true' jive. No coincidence that the three most stylish female dancers competing on the day were the top three in the Advanced !!!

Are we getting to a stage where every women is going to try and copy the likes of Lily, Hayley, Jenine et al...... and will they all have to wear glittery skirts ( I'm not objecting by the way ) ...what happened to all the combat gear from a few years ago ??? have we just moved on.is it a fad.....

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Maybe I am deluded but I think I DO adopt different styles of dance depending on the music....(and who I am dancing with - apparently I mimic my partner which just fascinates me BTW) I certainly FEEL different ....anyway... what I wear also affects my dance mood or mode... with trainers and stringy trousers I want to do "get down" with Brady or Gus to Toxic and with twirly skirts and heels I want to be sexy and snaky and dance with Bill or Azande to Santana.... I don't feel elegant in trousers and don't feel funky in a skirt....

Re. the comps at the weekend I chose the skirt and heels get-up (cos I was dancing with Stuart who prefers "latin" stuff and also cos naturally I am probably more suited to the snaky stuff ) and ended up getting music that didn't really suit our preferred style and as a result couldn't do our "latin" moves... grrrrrrrr....

I sometimes wonder if the categories should be based on style of music rather on level..... seems a shame that lindy/latin/blues/whatever people who are great at what they do get a track that doesn't allow them to shine... or people who can do all styles don't get a go at all of them ie. have 3 short tracks in intermedaite instead of just one..... and restrict the luck element to the lucky dip......

Wxxxx

The Forum Legend
    Nice idea Wendy.

I think that if I were choosing music for a competition, I'd try to pick fairly different music for each round. Any couple in with a chance of winning should be able to vary their style to some degree, to enable them to get through a round where the style might not quite suit them.

There should definitely be two tracks in the final, one slow, one faster. And if the slow track has a latin feel, then maybe the fast one should be something more 'funky'. And vice versa.

Ie:

Slow track: Nu Flow. Faster Track: Equador

or

Slow track: Wade in the Water. Fast Track: Heaven

Tracks just off the top of my head, without a great deal of thought. But you'll get the idea....

Trampy

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Nice idea Wendy.

Slow track: Nu Flow. Faster Track: Equador

or

Slow track: Wade in the Water. Fast Track: Heaven

Trampy
    or what about Nu Flow and Wade in the Water in the first round....then I'd not have to break sweat...get to dance to two tracks before I get knocked out ....but at least I'd have had 2 dances

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Bill
    or what about Nu Flow and Wade in the Water in the first round....then I'd not have to break sweat...get to dance to two tracks before I get knocked out ....but at least I'd have had 2 dances
    Sorry Bill, but I hear that next competition you're in, the organisers have already earmarked "Zoot Suit Riot" and "Jump, Jive & Wail" for the first round.

Still, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?

(I give it a 25% chance that he'll be stronger)

Trampy

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Competition Dance Style

Fran and I discussed this last night and agree that the whole style - especially for women has gone very much into the Latin/ballroom style. If you look even at the outfits that more women are now wearing you can see the influence and that seems to be filtering down through the levels.

It may be a good thing but is that because more women and possibly men are entering who have danced ballroom/latin beofre or because they feel they now have to to do well in major comps ????

I found this on a Hong Kong discussion board.

http://www.mai.com.hk/dance/forums/viewtopic.php?t=767

Seems people are scanning far afield to find a Latin style partner to win MJ competitions with!!!

B.T.C.
    Sorry Bill, but I hear that next competition you're in, the organisers have already earmarked "Zoot Suit Riot" and "Jump, Jive & Wail" for the first round.

Trampy
    How silly would it look to 'blues' to these two .............

Re: Re: Dan & Lisa

Originally posted by JamesGeary
    Their {Dan and Lisa} freestyle looked good because they were both good individual movers, but you could see that the whole lead / follow thing wasn't cohesive, and looked awkward and rough, which would be why they never did well in Advanced freestyle.
    Hmmm ... not sure that I’d agree with that for their performance at Blackpool, (2001) when I thought they really flowed ... but then thats just my fading memory

While clubby style has to means dancing minimalist in a small space, like you would at a club. Great for social dancing, but will never attract people's attention from 100 paces.
    Sorry ... but really don’t agree on this point. 'Club' style can be as dynamic as any other variation on MJ. It also agrees greater latitude for 'solo' moves and breaks away then back to your partner. I would say that there is also a greater capability for impact given the capacity to include fairly 'aggressive' moves yet still stay within the style. Be interested for any corroborating or dissenting comments from anyone who did our 'Club Jive' workshop in Glasgow last year.

It's been funny reading this whole 'latin-style' discussion ....

I've never done any latin dancing, but do think of myself as more of an upright, ballroom-y, ballet-y type dancer and can't do lindy/ funky/clubby style dancing to save my life.

However, just before Blackpool, Marc had been telling me how to try and chancge my style according to the music, and how I should be dancing if we got a swing track, etc etc.

Actually, most of our discussions took place on the morning of the competition. So, of course, when it got to our round and the music started, I just ended up totally confused about what I should and shouldn't be doing. And, in the end, couldn't do anything much at all!!!!

I think that, the moral of the story for me, is to stick with what feels more natural at the moment. And, of course, start attending more hip-hop and other style workshops so that, one day in the future, I might be able to do it!
    Rachel

I found this on a Hong Kong discussion board
    Have you tried the dance addict quiz yet?

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Re: Re: Competition Dance Style

way ) ...what happened to all the combat gear from a few years ago ??? have we just moved on.is it a fad.....

The combat gear is still there - it's just only worn by the people who want to be seen as urban,funky dancers and dance to that style of music. I also agree that a style of dress can affect the style of your dancing.

As has been mentioned by others in this discussion on costume, I feel that how you dance to different styles of music shows that you are actually listening to the music and not just going through the moves or a practiced routine - isn't that what musical interpretation is all about, plus pausing for breaks etc.
    ie. if it's an urban, funky track - dance funky; if it's a latino track - dance upright and latin style, and hopefully if you are very lucky, you will be wearing the appropriate costume to match your dance style for a particular track.

I try, and hope succeed in changing my dance style to match both different partners and the track being played, but not all partners either want and/or can do this, so it is not always foolproof

Do you think the judges would either notice / mark up competitors for changing their style for each track appropriately, or do they just want to see a continuation of one style done at it's best ?

Lesley

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Competition Dance Style

Originally posted by Easter Bunny
    Do you think the judges would either notice / mark up competitors for changing their style for each track appropriately,
    Having had the comment from a judge "that track didn't suit your style" I would say that they do notice. (Of course what goes on in your own head about what you think your style is, can be very different to what others see.)

Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Competition Dance Style

Originally posted by Sheepman
    LeJive 1998 Intermediate
    1st Dan Baines & Lisa Davies 72pts
    2nd Derek Harnden & Helena Fletcher 66pts
    3rd Phillip Kane & Gaye Hateley 54.5 pts

A couple of other notable names from that comp.

DWAS 4th place - Rob Coward
    You've got a good memory - I'd forgotten about that one. I won in 1997 though

......... I thought that they were talking about Simon from Bristol (who, with his partner, were both all in red), not Simon Rich........
    Met Simon (from Bristol) with his dance partner Keely from Bournmouth yesterday, they danced in the advance but didn't make the finals

Watching them last night, they were amazing certainly worthy enough to make the finals

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Your right Simon and Keely are fab dancers, unfortunately this hobby of ours is a judged sport and as such personal preferences vary from one to another.

Apparently my Sister ,Sarah Bayliss was there last night. Do you know her Minnie?

The Forum Legend
    Not just that, but they may have been dancing better last night than they did at the competition!

Trampy

Thread Information