Thread: WCS at Blackpool???

Blog Entries

WCS at Blackpool???

The lack of a lindy section on Sat got me thinking..I missed it, I enjoyed it in previous years - other views???

...got me thinking also about WCS,
    Probably need Mr and Mrs Oracle to come in here.

What kind of a following does it have in the UK?? Perhaps they have their own Blackpool??

Would a WCS section work at Blackpool?
    Would anyone enter??

Just interested....

The Forum Legend

Re: WCS at Blackpool???

Originally posted by Chicklet
    The lack of a lindy section on Sat got me thinking..I missed it, I enjoyed it in previous years - other views???

...got me thinking also about WCS,
    Probably need Mr and Mrs Oracle to come in here.

What kind of a following does it have in the UK?? Perhaps they have their own Blackpool??

Would anyone enter??

Just interested....
    Had a look at the application form. And there was a Lindy category on there. Which presumably means that there weren't enough entrants to actually make it worth running. Which is a shame.

Unfortunately, there are probably a lot more people doing lindy in the UK than there are doing WCS, which makes me wonder if there would be any interest in that (unless the people doing WCS are more competative of course!).

Trampy

Blog Entries
    Yup Steve you're absolutely right, I should have said, I did hear that it was abandoned due to lack of interest, hence the wondering if these real dances have their own "Blackpool".

Commercial Operator

Re: WCS at Blackpool???

Probably not yet, not enough interest, but who knows - in a years time . . . ?

Would anyone enter??
    Yes!!!

Greg

I know where I would send the idiots doing lindy in the middle of the crowded dancefloor on sat night.

Commercial Operator SwingSwingSwing's Avatar
    I was going to ask who won the Lindy section but my question has been answered. It's a pity it didn't run as watching the Lindy contest at the first C2D was one of the major factors in my wanting to learn Lindy Hop.

I know of a couple of lindy contests in the UK, one held as part of the Swing Jam (Live2Jive?) and one held by Simon Selmon. Vinnie from Leeds held a competition this year too I believe. In comparison to C2D they are pretty small.

Lindy is smaller than MJ and I think the percentage of Lindy Hoppers who would want to compete is less than in MJ. Don't know why. Personally, I have very little interest in competing as I don't see Lindy Hop as a competitive thing. It's about the music, my partner and me. (Although I did toy with entering C2D this year!)

Talking of WCS, if you look at the video of the first C2D, there is a couple, Scottish I believe, who did WCS in the Intermediate section (well, with my limited knowledge it looks like WCS). And they got through the first round which is better than I did with my MJ!

SwingSwingSwing

PS Congrats to all the Scots (real and honorary!) on their successes at the weekend.

"Swing Jam" hosts the "The OFFICIAL UK Lindy Hop Championship 2004".

I believe the UK Dance Championship 2004 (see http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...&threadid=2461)
    might have Lindy and Salsa sections -- though the website looks a bit out of date -- and I don't have the leaflet to hand?

SpinDr.

NO NO NO please no more categories - the day is not long enough, if we have time split the advance one.

It was a real shame Lindy was dropped, there were late entries but after 20th Feb date I hate to think what time it would have finished if it had been included

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Originally posted by Paul F
    I know where I would send the idiots doing lindy in the middle of the crowded dancefloor on sat night.
    Absolutely!!!

I'm still carrying the bruise on my shin from a full-blooded lindy kick - everyone gets bumped from time to time, but I think that's the only time I've sworn out loud on a dance floor and had to hobble off to recover!

And while I'm having a rant about dangerous dancing, the next on my hit-list would be the guy in the hat who seemed to be ballroom-dropping every partner he had into knee-high moves when there was barely room to swing a cat, never mind a human!
    Last edited by John S; 9th-March-2004 at 04:06 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Yep John...theres always one....or in this case it seems there were quite a few ...I saw several guys leading their partners into dips & drops, when there clearly wasn't enough space )
    Re the idiots doing lindy......there definately wasn't room for that. Mrs DD an me like to lindy to the swingy stuff, but couldn't on Saturday coz it WAS too busy.......

Originally posted by John S
    I'm still carrying the bruise on my shin from a full-blooded lindy kick - everyone gets bumped from time to time, but I think that's the only time I've sworn out loud on a dance floor and had to hobble off to recover!
    Did you have a word with him?

I've started to do this with some of the worst offenders. The pattern seems to be that asking someone dancing dangerously nearby to tone it down a bit snaps them out of a world in which they are totally caught up in what they're doing, and are oblivious to everything going on around them.

In one or two cases the reaction has been annoyance, but mostly people seem to realise, and some even apologise.

I'd go further and suggest that often it's blokes that aren't necessarily particularly good dancers, but have the good fortune to be dancing with someone really gorgeous...

... so they get totally carried away with trying to impress them

The fact that they are actually proving themselves to be a complete prat escapes them, sadly...

Chris

Thread Information