Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Competition Categories

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Competition Categories

Originally posted by Jayne
    This was my understanding too, but there were some moves going on where this wasn't adhered to. For example, there was one couple who had both of the girl's feet on the guy's thighs for one move - and they still progressed to the next round!! I also saw quite a few "borderline" moves.....
    Ummm. My thighs are below my waist Jayne. Where are yours???

Doesn't sound like they broke any rules to me.... The rule was that one foot (not leg) must always be below the gentlemans waist.

Trampy

Many apologies - I thought the rule was his knee.

I completely retract what I wrote.

Sorry.

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Competition Categories

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Ummm. My thighs are below my waist Jayne.
    mine aren't

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Competition Categories

Originally posted by Pammy
    mine aren't
    Ummm, my waist's below my thighs -- is that the same

SpinDr.

Music and Catagories

It is so difficult to fit all the catagories in at the moment, we had decided this year to adhere to a strict limit of numbers, but due the unforseen circumstances we felt we should be more flexible on entrants who may have sent applications to the PO box. All ideas for catagories are appriciated and we really do listen, if you would like to fill in a coment sheet and send it to us please do so. As for the music Sarah, Nigel (our DJ) and myself spend a full weekend after closing date to get it together and record it. This in itself is a major task, we do listen to comments about the music too, e.g last year we had so many complaints that the senior choice was too old (mowtown) this was chosen for BPM and feel (simlar to intermediate round) not because it was old, so far this year we have received very few comments on music (oh no there's me opening a can of worms) however if anybody would like to submit any thoughts or ideas on themes please do so, again if we recieve them in writting we can file them until the appropiate time next year.
    Once again I can't thank people enough for all the support and kind comments, I do feel slightly guilty for 2 reasons:-
    1 I seem to be getting a lot of praise, but I was only at the pointy end, there were so many people doing so much behind me, all I had to do was open my mouth
    2 I can't play the organ

B.T.C.

Re: Music and Catagories

Originally posted by TonyC2D
    2 I can't play the organ
    What..................... but it seemed so real

Thanx

Bill it was such a fantastic experience I may well take it up, I wanted to be able to watch it though. My daughter said a really touching thing on the way home "I was so proud I wanted to tell everyone that was my Daddy, but they all knew" worth its weight

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ElaineB
    Greg, I hope to be up at Hipsters again in a couple of weeks - save a dance for me? And Chris A?
    I won't be there next week 'cos we're skiing but all my dancing this month will be easy West Coast Swing, even at Hipsters - got to try and cure these injuries before Rock Bottoms.

Andy, why do we need categories? To provide an incentive for people with different styles/abilities to give it a go. Most of us don't want the stresses of competing with the expectation that we'll go out in the first round, even though the majority of people do have to fall at this hurdle.

I've heard a suggestion that we should have a category with no dips/tricks/lifts, I would certainly go for that, but I think the definitions would get troublesome.

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    'cos we're skiing
    After my little text last night, I knew that....

I really hate that song
    Dreadful Scathe,
    I chose the music to suit the theme, and as we have already established on the Forum, musical taste is a personal choice

I take my hat of to Gareth. He did really well up there
    Thanks Pammy,
    You`ll always be on my dance card

B.T.C.

Re: Thanx

Originally posted by TonyC2D
    Bill it was such a fantastic experience I may well take it up, I wanted to be able to watch it though. My daughter said a really touching thing on the way home "I was so proud I wanted to tell everyone that was my Daddy, but they all knew" worth its weight
    Out of the mouths of babes etc............

and on a completeley different note Tony...................... can you clarify the position regarding recording on the day. I heard someone say that it was OK to film a couple if you had their permission but a friend who tried to film some of us Scots was told to stop.

I think last year a few folk raised this as a recording of performances from Blackpool could be really useful for those then competing at London. Can a friend film a couple in their round or is all filming banned ???

re; filming

I'm sorry Bill, but this is out of our hands and is a stipulation by the Film crew, we can't allow any filming, I sure you understand, and having announced it several times apparently people were still being caught (my brother was very keen on this one).

Re: Re: Thanx

Originally posted by Bill
    Out of the mouths of babes etc............

and on a completeley different note Tony...................... can you clarify the position regarding recording on the day. I heard someone say that it was OK to film a couple if you had their permission but a friend who tried to film some of us Scots was told to stop.

I think last year a few folk raised this as a recording of performances from Blackpool could be really useful for those then competing at London. Can a friend film a couple in their round or is all filming banned ???
    I spotted a sign on the door as I was coming in about not filming without a couples' permission. I asked my brother-in-law to video us, but only us and none of the proceedings or other dancers in general. He faithfully abided by these instructions, so I now have a record of my performances which I can pull apart. C2D (or the video company) will not have lost out as I am ordering the DVD as well, so I can see how other people performed AND I have to have a record of Emma's showcase - that bit will get worn out! and to see the showcases and team events I missed for one reason or another.

I hope no one has a problem with this approach.

M

Just read David Franklins comments on the airsteps.

Unfortunatly this is a free style competition and there have only ever been two couples that I know of that could pull this off in real honest free style.

The first, Andy and Rena; who won it the first two years.

The second, Andy and Kim; who won it the following three.

They all dance free style and therefore use the music, the rest, well, don't; and thus don't even come close.

If you were watching last years comp Andy and Kims use of the music was excellent. This year not so good but who could really put any style into the pants track c2d played this year.

Give something to get their teeth into like those lucky advancies get then we may see some proper musicallity.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Leo
    They all dance free style and therefore use the music, the rest, well, don't; and thus don't even come close. If you were watching last years comp Andy and Kims use of the music was excellent.
    Whether or not you agree with this statement, it does raise an interesting question - exactly what are you judging in an airsteps competition.
    - Are you purely judging the airsteps themselves - irrespective of the music?
    - Are you judging fitting the airsteps to the music?
    - Or are you judging a dance competition that allows aerials?

(It is difficult enough for the judges - they also have to try to mark each aerial, when everyone is doing them at the same time.
    - How do you reward difficulty of each move?
    - How do you reward the number of aerials.
    - How do you reward the execution of each aerial.)

In the past it wouldn't have made any difference to the result. But this year a different interpretation by the judges could have swapped the first two places. Had Andy & Kim danced in time to the music, they would have been easy winners. Unfortunately they were off time for about 50% of their dancing.

This year not so good but who could really put any style into the pants track c2d played this year.
    I've forgotten - what track was played?

David

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Next year, could we maybe, please, have the aerials a little earlier in the proceedings - you know, not almost last - after all the other heats, finals, cabarets, freestyles
    Just a thought

And David, I can't remember the track we got in our heat but the warm up was "Totally Addicted To Bass"
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

An Eclectic Toaster
    On the perennial debate about the proliferation of categories, I had a thought a while back - can't remember whether I posted it on the Forum - about awarding category prizes within the same competition.

For instance, Best Seniors/Juniors prizes can easily be awarded within the Intermediate competition. Logistically it makes sense, in cutting down on separate competitions, how would people feel it would work?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by DavidB
    But this year a different interpretation by the judges could have swapped the first two places. Had Andy & Kim danced in time to the music, they would have been easy winners. Unfortunately they were off time for about 50% of their dancing.
    Have I got my couples mixed up I thought the winning couple were off-time for almost 100% of their dancing. They seemed to land on the beat then sort of step back onto the off beat, do all of their dancing on the off beat then do and air step and repeat the whole off beat thing again.

I asked one of the judges (no names) what was going on and was told that they decided it was an air-steps competition and the marking was slanted towards that rather than dancing. But the judges were all aware of that off-beat thing going on.

One suggestion, not mine, was that the winners were doing that so they look on the beat in the video...

N.B. For those of you that don't know, last years video was made so badly that the beat and the dancing rarely matched even though they did in the live performance.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Have I got my couples mixed up:confused
    No - It was my post that was a bit confusing. Andy and Kim did win the airsteps. They had the best executed aerials, but did dance off time.

Dancing on-time or off-time is very important. The timing of the movement is probably the only thing that you can use to define Modern Jive. If you get the timing wrong, then you aren't doing Modern Jive. If you dance off-time in a normal freestyle competition, the judges will mark you last without even a second thought. But a competition where you are not purely judging the dancing does complicate things.

My own view is based on what happens in European Rock'n'Roll, and US Theatre Arts competitions (the only other dance competitions that feature aerials, rather than just allowing them.)
    - You should aim to do 8 aerials in a song
    - There should be variety in the aerials
    - For an aerial to be marked, you have to dance into and out of it, and the aerial can't disrupt the flow of the dance.
    - An aerial has to be executed safely before it can be awarded any marks.
    - The dancing is still marked, and can account for up to 50% of the total marks.

I don't think it is fair to expect the judges to make up their own guidelines after the competition. There should be consistency from one competition to the next.

Another point. If there is an Open division next year, and if it follows the format of the other Open divisions (ie aerials are allowed), then there has to be a clear distinction between the two divisions.

David

Aerials

I agree with DavidB.

If Andy and Kim were to finally dance in time to the music they could really clean up their act. But, I have seen them dance all over and it does seem to be their specailty to dance on the off beat rather than on the beat.

Either bad teaching or a hearing problem I think!

I do however think they were the only couple to keep the flow during their aerials.

Oppinions.....

Thread Information