Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Competition Categories

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DavidB

Dancing on-time or off-time is very important. The timing of the movement is probably the only thing that you can use to define Modern Jive. If you get the timing wrong, then you aren't doing Modern Jive. If you dance off-time in a normal freestyle competition, the judges will mark you last without even a second thought.
    When I was a kid, I loved to watch gymnastics, the 'floor' especially but even then it used to frustrate the life out of me, when they had a very dramatic piece of music for their routines but NEVER kept in time with it, even at that age I used to wonder what the hell the music had in relation to the performance, if anything it was quite distracting! But then maybe I was watching from a 'dancing' point of view?
    So, for me, I think it would be even more distracting watching dancing off the beat! Whatever the catagory
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by DavidB
    If you dance off-time in a normal freestyle competition, the judges will mark you last without even a second thought.
    David
    I would hope this happens but over the few years I've seen MJ comps I've seen some very obvious examples od couples dancing off the beat - sometimes only for a short while - usually I think because they are doing choerographed moves which obviously don't fit the music but they have progressed ..........sometimes to a final !

Obviously different going off beat but 'catching up' than doing a whole track off beat.

The Oracle
    I should have said 'persistently off time'.

Lots of times you see couples coming out of a move on the wrong beat. While this is not good, as long as they realise and get back on beat quickly I won't mind too much. It might just cost them a place or two, especially in a close competition. Similarly if it is a 'difficult' bit of music I will be more flexible.

I'll also be more flexible for Intermediates and DWAS than say Advanced, and give couples a bit longer to get back on beat.

But if a couple keep going off time, or don't make any attempt to get back on time, then they don't get any marks.

David

re: airsteps

Point very well made David

Having spoken to many onlookers at b'pool the general concensus is that the best couple won and I personally found them the most entertaining to watch.

On another note I would be honered by your elustrious hints and tips on keeping to the beat. After demoing for many years I still get it completely wrong given the wrong music and most specifically to music that I don't like, but the lady still wants to dance to it and who am I to say no or worse to stuff it up for both of us?!?.....

Also....

What have Clayton and Genien got that the gudges like so much at every competition. I personally think that, as good as they are; there have been better couples in every category of evry competition I have seen them in in the last two years.

Is this biased or would I just be a terrible judge?

Maybe they should enter the airsteps....

Is this biased or would I just be a terrible judge?
    C & J, ooze style and control.Yet they are very understated in their moves. They look good and are able to adapt to any type of music being played. Their repertoire of moves is outstanding. This is why they are the reigning champions

To beat them in a competition you can`t be equal, you need to be better. If you can do that then you are in with a chance

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gareth

To beat them in a competition you can`t be equal, you need to be better. If you can do that then you are in with a chance
    NO WAY!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Gareth
    Yeah. Cos if you're equal, then it's a draw!!

Am I missing something here??

Trampy

Thread Information