Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ceroc run out of ideas ?

Re: Ceroc run out of ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousCurves
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    No, but no-one is copying entire cabaret's and pawning them off as their own, are they? {are they ?}
    Sadly,yes. Mikey started this thread after some people who did his Strictly Sinful class at Camber phoned him just a few weeks later to say that they had gone to another teachers class who had "taught" the exact same choreographed routine (same steps in the same order), to the same music and had even had his demonstrator dress in the same way!

He had billed it as his own class - as part of his "novel idea" for a fun and naughty night.

Incidently - the dancers who told Mikey were very unhappy... and felt cheated by the copy-cat teacher. I suspect he made a good fat fee out of the evening though.... unethical? DAMN RIGHT!!!
    And so the debate comes the full circle.......

Re: Ceroc run out of ideas ?

I started teaching Drops & Seducers in the 90's cos the local clubs (Ceroc & Leroc) refused to teach them on the basis they were too dangerous

I thought the danger lie in dancers working it out for themselves and often saw many examples of scary moves and a high risk of injury on the dancefloor of our local venues

I had no source to learn the drops and seducers, I had no workshops I could attend, I took ideas from a few Salsa & lindy video's then developed a few of my own moves.
    Along the way I came up with many new ideas (a few good, lots not so good) and was shown various moves developed by other dancers.

At the time I belived many of my moves were new and original, I soon realised that most has been done before somewhere by someone, it is just I was unaware of it.

When I taught my first class at Camber (which was one of my all time high's) I was SO happy to see the dancers using and sharing the moves.

About two weeks after I got a call from a dancer who had seen one of the Camber moves taught at Ceroc and the teacher claimed it was theirs.

Teaching the moves is great - that's why we put them in the public domain but if you know the source where YOU THE TEACHER got it from why not give credit.

I do it, Viktor, Gus, Nigel and many other's do it.

The main thing that has annoyed me is a well known teacher on the MJ circuit, taking meticulous notes throughout my classes/workshops, running off to learn the moves THEN undercutting me to get workshop bookings that I had been asked to do, (It happend twice in any area where this teacher is well known and I am/was an unknown) that is the business side of MJ, if others can earn an easy buck from your ideas they will.

Simon Selmon and others were at a weekend Lindy camp, late into the night the DJ slowed the music down and they started dancing (what we now call) the Blues, one of the old dancers from way back pre 1940's saw it and said "hey we used to dance like that when I was a lad" just another re-cycled dance style.
    Simon told this story at a blues workshop
    Peter

Thread Information