Thread: serious issue - Fire!

serious issue - Fire!

OK....last wednesday at Ceroc in Dundee the Olympia center had a fire alarm....turned out to be a false alarm in the end, however it may not have been.
    Everything was ok, however when the alarm went off a third of us headed for the nearest fire exit only to be prevented from exiting by that door by 2 members of Olympia staff. They proceeded to herd us across the other side of the building to the main exit. This is a major health n safety risk!, a fire door should be useable at all times and fully working. So why were we prevented from using it??.....good question huh. Well I will be finding out when I phone the manager to complain and to get his assurance that the fire door is fully functional.
    The Olympia center is a great place to dance, too hot sometimes but besides that its a really good venue. I just want to find out if its a safe venue.
    The reason I'm writing all this is to bring the matter of safety to your attention....it is a serious issue. Take time to ask about or check your fire doors at your usual venue, it only takes 5 mins to check..............and may you never need them.

Fox

Angry

I guess the reason the Olympia staff directed people away from the official fire exit was its dangerous condition!!!

As the dozen or so of us who actually used it can testify, the lighting on the top landing was non-existent, so we had to fumble our way to the top of the staircase - and then the top step was particularly awkward to negotiate, especially in the dark. Had there been a real fire and/or a crush of people, there would have been casualties.

Go ahead, Fox, phone the Centre Manager and point out his/her responsibilities for the saftey of users of the centre.

I have already written to the Chief Executive of Dundee City Council (Obviously I believe in going straight to Mr/Ms Big) and I'll post on here the reply I get.

Fox is absolutely right - this is a really serious matter and all of us (class organisers and individuals) have a responsibility to ensure that we where we are dancing is safe - and how to get out quickly if it's not.

Originally posted by John S

I have already written to the Chief Executive of Dundee City Council and I'll post on here the reply I get.

OK, here it is in full, dated 16 September:

Thank you for your recent letter alerting us to a lighting failure which will be rectified immediately.

The twin light-units on the fire exit stairs in question are continually activated in case of a need to evacuate at any time. Unfortunately, both tubes in the fitting at the top of the stairs had failed at the same time. We are currently exploring the potential for improving the existing system eg incorporating movement sensors to initiate activation of lights and thereby extend their useful life. Another consideration will be frequency of visual checks.

I can confirm that the fire alarm was automatically activated due merely to the impact of a burst mains-water pipe on adjacent heating equipment.

I am grateful for your interest in this particular matter and I trust the foregoing information meets your immediate needs.

Yours sincerely

Alex Stephen
    Chief Executive

So I don't think there's much more needs to be done, other than for each of us to be vigilant in making sure that the venues are safe for us to dance in.

And the cynical version:
    Thank you for your recent letter alerting us to a lighting failure which will be rectified immediately.
    Translation: This is a safety matter, so we better look as if we're taking it seriously
    The twin light-units on the fire exit stairs in question are continually activated in case of a need to evacuate at any time. Unfortunately, both tubes in the fitting at the top of the stairs had failed at the same time. We are currently exploring the potential for improving the existing system eg incorporating movement sensors to initiate activation of lights and thereby extend their useful life. Another consideration will be frequency of visual checks.
    Translation: We knew about this but it wasn't really anybody's job to report the bulb failure and/or get them replaced - I suppose we should have a bit of a think about it.
    I can confirm that the fire alarm was automatically activated due merely to the impact of a burst mains-water pipe on adjacent heating equipment.
    Translation: Hey, nobody died, so don't push it.
    I am grateful for your interest in this particular matter .....
    Translation: Back off, nosey!!
    ...and I trust the foregoing information meets your immediate needs.
    Translation: Don't bother us again!

Standard Fire Letter No 1

Excellent, Graham - you're obviously familiar with how big corporations and public bodies have templates of letters for the usual ****-ups they make (maybe you even help draft them?)

Re: Standard Fire Letter No 1

Excellent, Graham - you're obviously familiar with how big corporations and public bodies have templates of letters for the usual ****-ups they make (maybe you even help draft them?)
    Dear Mr S,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding my employment status. Unfortunately it is our policy not to disclose this type of information to the public. However, we are currently undertaking a strategic review of our policies on disclosure, and I will be sure to pass on your letter to the relevant committee for consideration in the event that guidelines are altered in future. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours faithfully,

Graham

Thread Information