Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teachers & image

Nude Ceroc!!!!!!

Sorry Gus!!!! Definitely NOT Guilty. You never heard it from me!!!! Must have been Amanda!!!!
    I certainly don't want any of my wobbly bits on display!!!!!

I feel well and truly chastised ...

As for the rest of this discussion, I am disappointed in all of you, no sooner do I turn my back that you lot hi-jack Sheena's discussion on Taxi dancers and turn the thread into talk of old and / or sexy teachers etc...
    So sorry for taking the thread off track!

I just want to confirm that there is no strict policy on the age of Ceroc Teachers. The audition process does look at the individual candidate and assesses a wide range of skills and qualities as listed elsewhere in this thread.
    I'm pleased to hear I was wrong, and thanks for clearing this up. It's just that the 35 age-limit seemed to come up so often, I really believed it was a strictly-adhered-to policy.

As long as the taxi dancer alwys has the attitude, "we were all beginners once" ... long may they be the true force of people who encourage dancers to come back again.
    You're quite right - and it's certainly in all our interests to get the beginners good at dancing and as enthusiastic as the rest of us.

And, now, I shall try to stop provoking any more controversy ...!

Re: Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by Gus

I know I'm only a an ageing ex-Teacher .... but since when was a bikini wax a compulsory part of getting ready to dance Ceroc?

Obviously I'm attending the wrong type of venues ... or are we in danger of slipping back to conversations of nude Ceroc (was it Heather or Amanda that was the culprit last time).
    Unfortunately guys it was me suggesting that women have it easy, pointing out that guys have to pluck their nose hair on the odd occasion. I have to say, that being of a younger disposition I never need to perform this act, but I'm sure Gus has been here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by DJ Curtain
    Unfortunately guys it was me suggesting that women have it easy, pointing out that guys have to pluck their nose hair on the odd occasion. I have to say, that being of a younger disposition I never need to perform this act, but I'm sure Gus has been here.
    Thats a rich comment coming from he who has yet to master the intracies of using a COMB!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by Gus
    I have to say, that being of a younger disposition I never need to perform this act, but I'm sure Gus has been here.
    Originally posted by Gus
    Thats a rich comment coming from he who has yet to master the intracies of using a COMB!
    Right boys! Take it outside! We will not have that kind of name calling in here...

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by Franck
    Right boys! Take it outside! We will not have that kind of name calling in here...

Franck.
    Abject apologies tendered :sorry

PS Where did the titel of 'Hot Chocolate' come from.

Back to the Thread (ish)....

Not sure about the comment that Ceroc teachers getting younger by the day .... just look at some of the main stars, OK ... so I can't mention them by name (especially the ladies) ... but trust me, of the top 20 or so on the circuit, only about 3 ro 4 are under 30 and most will be nearer 40. Sorry, but I still feel that experience counts! ...... better stop there before I go off thread again .... I'll leave that to Amanda or FC

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by Gus
    PS Where did the titel of 'Hot Chocolate' come from.
    Maybe it's the most exciting thing us old fogies get to take to bed with us at night??? Well, maybe ...

Ooops, sorry, off track again! I really am going to shut up now

Blog Entries
    Mmmmmm....... chocolate.......

Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by DJ Curtain
    Women have had the best part of the deal since the dawn of time. When was the last time you saw a women pluck her nostril hair? I rest my case!!

I think the guys would be all for doing there classes topless Rachel, but in this age of equality, I believe the women would have to partake in this little ritual too.

As a result É

The male numbers would surely soar keeping the female dancing fraternity happy and the deejay would never be bored. See? EveryoneÕs a winner!!
    Originally posted by Gus
    Hold on a sec ... women have had the better part of the deal for a long while. In London you've been able to lust openly on such forms as Viktor, Micktor and Cliff .... in the Midlands there is (was) Marco and Boy Robin, up North there's the rugged charm of Geordie Paul and North of the border its an embarresment of riches with Franck and Scott's toned bodies being barely restrained by their sheer t-shirts ... WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!!!

/OK .. a little journalistic license has been engaged but you get the gist/
    FC et al has noticed we're not the only ones who are partial to breaking the rules

Tut Tut boys

filthycute x x

Re: Re: Hot Chocolate

Originally posted by filthycute

FC et al has noticed we're not the only ones who are partial to breaking the rules

Tut Tut boys

filthycute x x
    Far be it from me, a foreigner, to correct FC BUT ....with the exception of the comb comment all the above comments werre about Teachers and their image ..... I have no doubt that the debate about whether teachers should in fact appear topless on stage is a valuable contribution to progressing the appeal for Ceroc as a dance. We should not shy away from innovation that will lead to Ceroc being made more popular ... well maybe there are limits come to think of it.

Originally posted by Rachel

And, now, I shall try to stop provoking any more controversy ...!
    DON'T. The forum is here to promote free speech about a subject dear to our hearts. You have as much right (probably more) to express your views than someone from the Ceroc organisation itself! The points you made were valid and the response it evoked suggests that whatherever the official word from Ceroc HQ is, many belive it to be true (rightly or wrongly).

I believe that Franck has done an excellent job of walking that fine line between allowing a 'free and frank exchange of views' (no pun intended) and cencorship! Viva La Freedom.

PS As Voltaire once said, "Freedom of speech is only a freedom if exercised" ... (or was it said by Tarzan???)

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus
    DON'T. The forum is here to promote free speech about a subject dear to our hearts. You have as much right (probably more) to express your views than someone from the Ceroc organisation itself! The points you made were valid and the response it evoked suggests that whatherever the official word from Ceroc HQ is, many belive it to be true (rightly or wrongly).
    Just for the record, I totally agree with your post Gus, my reply:
    As for the rest of this discussion, I am disappointed in all of you, no sooner do I turn my back that you lot hi-jack Sheena's discussion on Taxi dancers and turn the thread into talk of old and / or sexy teachers etc...
    originally posted by Rachel:
    was meant as a tongue in cheek remark (as indicated by the wink smillie), no real chastisement meant or implied...

This forum is for you all to talk about anything you want, and as long as you keep it civil (that's for you Gus and DJ Curtain <----- note the smillie!) and reasonably on topic (that's for you FilthyCute! ) then all views are more than welcome.

I am really pleased that the lovely George from London HQ has joined into the discussion and hopefully we will get more posts from her enlightening us about the training of teachers etc...

Franck.

Teacher Age

My opinion on Ceroc Teacher age is this....

That Ceroc should not stick to a hard and fast age policy. I don't think that they do that however.

What I would say though, is that if your target market is 25-35 as it is for Ceroc (and it's fairly obvious why that is), then generally speaking you need to be looking for teachers in a similar sort of age range. It's not predjudice, it's just using a business tool to attract your target market. You don't get zimmer frame companies getting a load of teenagers to model their wares. Again, it isn't predjudice, it's them using a business tool to attract there target market. (and keep Thora Hurd in tea and buns! )

What you have to remember is that young people are more image conscious than older people. As a young person you are more likely to stick around if the teacher & demo have an image you desire / look up to. As you get older, you care less about that and will be less bothered whether a teacher is 25 or 45.
    When I started cerocing at 22, the fact the teacher & demo were relatively young definately helped keep me there. I'm not as bothered now mind you, but I think we can forget how image conscious we were when we were younger. (oh dear - I'm depressing myself now )

Re: Teacher Age

Originally posted by Will

What I would say though, is that if your target market is 25-35 as it is for Ceroc (and it's fairly obvious why that is)
    Well, maybe.

If you want dancers to be really top-class when they are at the peak of their physical condition then you need to get them started younger.

If you want people without young families and such-like commitments, so that they can attend lots of classes, then you aim for an older group.

If you want people with spare time and high disposable incomes then you aim even older. (and eventually you get to my age group!! )

One of the best things about Modern Jive is that when the music starts it doesn't really matter whether your partner is rich or poor, old or young, black or white, as long as he/she is in sync with the way you dance.

Having said that, I do know that image matters and that's particularly true when trying to attract younger dancers. From the recesses of my memory I remember what it was like to be 25-35, and probably dancing with someone as old as my parents wasnt a cool thing to do. I'm pretty sure that Ceroc will have had professional market researchers identify where future commercial sucess lies, but as long as my zimmer can get through the doors I'll be there.

And if, in order to attract the "target market", we really have to replace Franck, Scot and Obi with lots of nubile young female teachers in body-revealing outfits well, I guess I'll just have to recharge my pacemaker and put up with it.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    I was trying to work out why the concept of a target market upsets me so much, and I guess it's because I am clinging to the upper reaches of it. ( ) Also I started cerocing for absolutely no reason other than the fact that I wanted to learn to dance. I suppose that those who view Ceroc as a potential partner-meeting venue might take age targetting into consideration when deciding whether to go or not.

Anyway, the point of this post was to say that I think it's OK to have a target market provided that those who are outside of it don't feel alienated. I guess that most of the people who attend both of the venues I dance at regularly are older than 35. As John says, once you start dancing with them demographic background becomes unimportant. Dancing is the thing. (and, um..whether they can lead or not )

Originally posted by Emma

it's OK to have a target market provided that those who are outside of it don't feel alienated.
    Well put, Emma.

I think it's great to see youngsters at Ceroc because I would like my own kids to learn - for the first time on Saturday they actually saw me (and a few others) dancing and reckoned it was pretty good, but realistically they would only come along regularly if there were a reasonable prospect of meeting at least a few people their own age (20s).

Originally posted by Franck
    no real chastisement meant or implied...
    Thanks, Franck, happy again now!
    ----
    Have to say I totally agree with Emma and John S. I think one of the best things about Ceroc is the fact that you can meet people of all ages and backgrounds - people who, otherwise, you might never normally come into contact with. It's a great leveller.

Christ, I've discovered that even 16-year-olds can have interesting things to say ... (if you listen long enough!!) And, funnily enough, it's always the older men (i.e. post-60 kind of age), rather than the younger ones, who are the most, how shall we say, incorrigible! Maybe cos they know they're considered 'safe' and can get away with being outrageously flirty.

Now there's a thought - is it considered alright to dance to a slow song, dance close, make eye contact, etc, with someone on the dancefloor without it being misinterpreted as meaning you'd be interested in something more, off the dancefloor? Surely a dance is just a dance, isn't it, even if it's a sultry, sexy, slinky number?
    Last edited by Rachel; 4th-September-2002 at 09:05 AM.

Ceroc turning down people over 35 is nothing.

Two years ago ceroc used to automatically reject anyway who applied who was over 25.

Then they found they just couldn't get the people and raised the age to 35.

Re: Age

Originally posted by Glider
    Ceroc turning down people over 35 is nothing.

Two years ago ceroc used to automatically reject anyway who applied who was over 25.

Then they found they just couldn't get the people and raised the age to 35.
    Glider, as much as it pains me I think I will have to stick up for Ceroc HQ on this one. Don't know your source but this time they are quite simply wrong.

I was on the 1999 intake and saw the interview intakes for 2000 (put a few candidates forward myself). Although there were a few embryos coming through (sub-25s) they are very much in th minority ... and even Ceroc HQ ain't stupid enough to put kids on stage ... for the most part they havn't got the depth of character and personality to carry it off (the one exception I know is Annalisa Martin who at 20-ish is a wonderfull teacher, aswell as a succesfull franchisee, superb DJ and gorgeous ...... don't you just hate it!!!).

Anyway, I digress ... the point is that a sub-25 target have never been effect (formaly or informaly). Re the debate about any age barrier ... well I think the previous postings have clearly expressed common opinion on that rather adequately.

One point though .... would you prefer to be taught by a good looking lively teacher in the mid 20/30's or by shambling throwback to Rock'n'Roll or Ballroom (I've seen a number of cases of the latter two on my travels). I know who I'd prefer!

Thread Information