Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: knees

B.T.C.
    Agree with the advice on going for a check up. What I would be concerned about is that it can hurt when you're in bed and if they still hurt in the morning I think having an 'expert' have a look is a sensible idea.

All the treatments mentioned could help but if you have damaged a tendon or the patella then you could do longer term damage to your knee and/or leg.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    by the end of the night, my knees used to hurt more when wearing a support. That might just be me of course

Steve

might also be the number of leans and lunges of course

Commercial Operator
    Hi Rachel
    Tend to agree with the "getting the doc' to check it out" theory. There are many different reasons for knee pain, and self diagnosis and treatment can often aggravate the problem. If it is cartelage problems, often removal is the best option. It's a very simple op nowadays, and is done by keyhole surgery. It leaves very little scarring, and only involves one overnight stay. Get an expert to sort you out. Don't suffer unneccissarily.

You are all wonderful - thank you so much for all the great advice. I can't think why I didn't ask you before!!

I really like some of the suggestions. Others I'm not so keen on - I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to any kind of doctor. Injections and operations are a VERY last resort - and I'm not nearly that desperate yet!

Although I think you may have convinced me about seeing a professional …. But you've suggested so many other things as well - let's see:

- high strength glucosamine. Yes, probably a good idea to get a higher strength. I recently got a free sample from www.zipvit.com and they look pretty good.
    - arnica/arlberger murmellin cream
    - vegetarian fish oils/omega-3/JointAce/flax oil
    - knee supports. May or may not be a good idea. I'm usually with the school of thought that relieving symptons is not enough and, in fact, can cause more damage if you're not experiencing the pain. As someone said here, 'pain has a purpose' - it's there to tell you something's not quite right.
    - warm ups/cool downs. Totally right and should be done. Something I'm way too lazy about. Probably because I've never really thought of ceroc as 'exercise'. I'd never fail to warm up before any other dance class. I must start doing this.
    - no leg locking. Yes, this is what they always seem to say. I actually do lock my knees all the time (probably cos of ballet). That will be a hard one to unlearn.
    - good shoes. Yes, I like fast shoes and floors. Sticky floors are a real problem. Maybe part of the problem is that I always dance in heels. Maybe I should think about trainers, but I rarely wear trousers and they don't go well with skirts. And I always think they wouldn’t be spinny enough. ???
    - stretching and strengthening exercises. Yes, more of these this would help. Funnily enough, it always felt better when I used to do regular ballet classes. I should be more disciplined and start doing the plies at home! Also, I can dance all night without it hurting at all (unless, of course, I'm trying to raise myself out of a drop).

Yes, David, you're right - it's most painful when I'm sat with my leg bent, like at work, or car journeys. Though not in the morning yet - fortunately. Maybe the answer is MORE dancing, then, and less sitting around/working ...!

Oh, I must say thank you so to all the people who said I was still young!!! (Jivecat, I do hope your foot doesn't cause you too much more suffering.)

And SalsaAngel - loved your story of being able to forecast rain with your knees. Excellent!! I also did tae kwon do for a few years - I heard that air-kicking and punching are terrible for the joints.

Anyway, I'm off to buy some oils and supplements - thanks again for brilliant ideas.
    Rachel

Injections and operations are a last resort for a Doctor too.

Finding out the cause is a doctors first consideration - and it should be your too.

I can't give you a remedy other than above, but I can tell you what helped me -

STOP EATING TOMATOES !

There is something in tomatoes that agrevates the tissues - I stopped eating them and it has helped

Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it helps

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Perfect Woman!
    Originally posted by Minnie M

STOP EATING TOMATOES !

There is something in tomatoes that agrevates the tissues - I stopped eating them and it has helped

Actually in similar vein, I was advised to cut out the 5 'C's - caffeine, chocolate, cheese (ie dairy), citrus (includes tomatoes) and coke (as in the drink !)... (by an alternative practitioner who suffered from alkylosing spondylitis - an arthritic condition -, and practised the 'bowman' technique who said cutting out those thing helped his symptoms enormously)

I notice the difference with caffeine, and citrus... eg degrees of pain .

Rachel - your description does sound like some sort of patello-femoral problem but you should double check with a doctor, just to rule out something more serious (and possible more treatable !). However your summary above is spot on !

useful web page on patellofemoral problems

FL

STOP EATING TOMATOES !

You're joking??? I've been force-feeding myself tomatoes every day, even though I don't like them (except on pizza) as I thought they were about the best thing you could eat due to the lypocene/cancer-fighting properties ...

So much for trying to do the right thing! Now, can someone please give me a good reason to not eat spinach???
    Rachel

Originally posted by foxylady
    Actually in similar vein, I was advised to cut out the 5 'C's - caffeine, chocolate, cheese (ie dairy), citrus (includes tomatoes) and coke (as in the drink !)... (by an alternative practitioner who suffered from alkylosing spondylitis - an arthritic condition -, and practised the 'bowman' technique who said cutting out those thing helped his symptoms enormously)

I notice the difference with caffeine, and citrus... eg degrees of pain .

Rachel - your description does sound like some sort of patello-femoral problem but you should double check with a doctor, just to rule out something more serious (and possible more treatable !). However your summary above is spot on !

useful web page on patellofemoral problems

FL
    Please nooo! Cut out caffeine and chocolate??? And cheese and citrus? Drastic! Looks like my only comfort will be wine!!!

A very interesting article, though, thanks FL. And very encouraging that symptoms can be made better.
    Thank you,
    Rachel

Nope win bad too.

STOP EATING TOMATOES !

All of the belladonna family can aggravate joint pain especially in arthritics...which includes potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers; chillis and aubergines.

Originally posted by Aleks
    All of the belladonna family can aggravate joint pain especially in arthritics...which includes potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers; chillis and aubergines.
    Christ, I'm learning a lot this morning! What's left to eat, though? Could be a good way to lose weight!
    R.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Rachel
    You're joking??? I've been force-feeding myself tomatoes every day,
    It's impossible to win isn't, what a choice, crippled or cancer!

I'd assumed that most of my improvement regarding knee pain in recent years was due to glucosamine and cod liver oil, (and a wardrobe full of different shoes!) But maybe the fact that I gave up caffeine a few years ago (for entirely different reasons) has also helped. I'm still eating the cheese, tomatoes, citrus etc. though (not forgetting the pickled garlic and caviar!)

Greg

Commercial Operator
    All of the belladonna family can aggravate joint pain especially in arthritics...which includes chillis
    There again chillis can be very useful in the relief of chronic pain, (maybe not joint pain though?)

Greg

Originally posted by Rachel
    You're joking??? I've been force-feeding myself tomatoes every day, even though I don't like them (except on pizza) as I thought they were about the best thing you could eat due to the lypocene/cancer-fighting properties ...

So much for trying to do the right thing! Now, can someone please give me a good reason to not eat spinach???
    Rachel
    There's lycopene in watermelon....

There's lycopene in watermelon....
    Oh that's good news. Not fattening, either!

So ratatouille and a baked potato would not be the ideal pre-Ceroc meal then?

Originally posted by jivecat
    So ratatouille and a baked potato would not be the ideal pre-Ceroc meal then?
    That would depend on whether YOUR body can cope with those foods - everbody's chemistry is different....

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someones got to be right, surely?

Just read this article.......

A NEW book claims to have identified 14 "superfoods" which hold the secret of a long and healthy life.

The list includes spinach, yoghurt and oranges, which have long been associated with healthy eating - but also turkey, walnuts and pumpkin.

Co-author of the book, Californian plastic surgeon Dr Steven Pratt, says the diet offers the ultimate combination of life-enhancing nutrients, including vitamins C and E, folid acid and omega-3 fatty acids.

"The superfoods can help to stop damage at the cellular levels that can develop into disease," he said.

"And they have the delightful side effect of making you feel better, look better and have more energy."

The list comprises: beans (high in protein); blueberries (rich in vitamins C and E); oats (helps lower cholesterol levels); oranges (vitamin C); pumpkin (protects against skin cancer); wild salmon (reduces risk of heart disease); soy (high in protein); broccoli (anti-cancer); spinach (high in iron); tea, green or black (staves off heart disease and cancer); tomatoes (fights prostate cancer); turkey (protein) walnuts (control heart disease); and yoghurt (boosts immune system).

Co-written with Kathy Matthews, Dr Pratt's book, Superfoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life, has achieved huge success in the United States.

"Each food was selected based on gold-standard research of healthy dietary patterns around the world," Dr Pratt said.

"These foods are an integral part of all the recognised healthy dietary patterns that prevent disease and extend our health span - and perhaps our life span as well."
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: knees

I woke up this morning with a painful right knee which I think is directly related to dancing last night. I was in trainers on a not very fast floor so that was almost certainly a contributory factor. But reading this thread I came across this...
    Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    I also don't do as much lindy as I used to as bouncing and twisting combined makes them hurt alot !
    I have never had a sore knee like this even after many hours of MJ but have had it once before after Lindy and last night was doing (well attempting would be a better description) Lindy, with a few MJ dances near the end. I have also had a sore side after dancing Lindy. So I wondered is it something I am doing (or doing wrong) when I try Lindy that is causing this?

I will rest it all week and hopefully it will be OK for the BFG!

Thread Information