Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: knees

Re: knees

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I have never had a sore knee like this even after many hours of MJ but have had it once before after Lindy and last night was doing (well attempting would be a better description) Lindy, with a few MJ dances near the end. I have also had a sore side after dancing Lindy. So I wondered is it something I am doing (or doing wrong) when I try Lindy that is causing this?
    Are you doing the lady "twist-twist" styling on the swingout (lindy turn)???
    That's not a normal MJ motion that your muscle's will be ready for -- and if you've got slightly sticky trainers on a not-slippery floor, then you may end up using your knee to twist your foot -- putting more strain on the knee than you're used to.

If you are dancing Lindy in trainers -- then try swapping them for something with a smooth leather sole.

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Are you doing the lady "twist-twist" styling on the swingout (lindy turn)???
    That's not a normal MJ motion that your muscle's will be ready for -- and if you've got slightly sticky trainers on a not-slippery floor, then you may end up using your knee to twist your foot -- putting more strain on the knee than you're used to.
    Yes I am, and this could well be part of the cause. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    If you are dancing Lindy in trainers -- then try swapping them for something with a smooth leather sole.
    I did wear my leather soled b&ws last week but they got so dirty. (How do you clean leather soles?) Might opt for my cheap practice shoes - don't mind if they get ruined on the floor.

Sometimes strains and injuries are a result or reaction to another part of our body becoming injured. The sensation you are experiencing in your knees could be a reaction to you using your feet without proper support for your ankles and arches.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieed
    Sometimes strains and injuries are a result or reaction to another part of our body becoming injured. The sensation you are experiencing in your knees could be a reaction to you using your feet without proper support for your ankles and arches.
    Wearing my Bloch trainers so my feet are probably well supported. And like I say I have danced far more dances, hours etc doing MJ without experiencing this, so it has been something I have been doing at Lindy, plus freestyling in trainers. I think a combination of both. I'll see how a change of shoes works next week.

I was just thinking if you were taking Lindy posture which already asks alot more of your leg muscles and joints and doing alot more footwork with triple steps in, it might have contributed to the soreness you are feeling.

I hope the strain doesn't last long and you feel better soon. At least one thing I have learnt is that the body delivers pain as a signal that something is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Does anyone have any good advice for relieving knee/joint pain? I mean, permanently, not taking painkillers!

My right knee is getting worse and worse and is beginning to hurt all the time now, even in bed when I'm trying to sleep.

I've been taking glucostamine (?) sulphate tablets for ages - to no apparent good effect. And, being vegetarian, I'm not going to take cod liver oil. I hear - and believe - that knee supports don't do you any good.

Is it just a case of specific exercises to build stronger muscles around the knee?

If it's cartillage, there's No Way I'm going near a hospital for an operation.

Is there anything else I can try, or is it just a case of living with it???

Yours, in desperation,
    Rachel
    I have had knee problems for a few years now from years of dancing and old age. I always found that I always had to use a combination of treatments. I do strengthening exercises in the gym, anti inflammatory gel, and fish oil. But the thing that was most noticeable in making the pain go away was stretching. 3 times a day, and hold the stretch for about a minute on each occasion. I did this 3 times on each leg each time I did it, and then started stretching other parts of the body.

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Evgeni
    I have had knee problems for a few years now from years of dancing and old age. I always found that I always had to use a combination of treatments. I do strengthening exercises in the gym, anti inflammatory gel, and fish oil. But the thing that was most noticeable in making the pain go away was stretching. 3 times a day, and hold the stretch for about a minute on each occasion. I did this 3 times on each leg each time I did it, and then started stretching other parts of the body.

This post on the ceroc forum based out of australia (but in use by the odd UK bod too)
    http://www.cerocforum.com/showthread...86&postcount=6

supports the premise that stretching is good. My sports injury consultant at the Royal Orthapedic Hospital told me that for stretches to be most effective you should aim to schedule a stretching session every 8 hours or so !!

I have to say whenever I do stretches in public at a dance evening I usually come in for a lot of stick - so now I usually scurry off to the loos or backstage to do them.... (bit sad or what)

Foxy

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    I have to say whenever I do stretches in public at a dance evening I usually come in for a lot of stick - so now I usually scurry off to the loos or backstage to do them.... (bit sad or what)
    I usually get offers to help! I think we should do it in public and try and get a little stretching group going at every dance event.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieed
    I hope the strain doesn't last long and you feel better soon. At least one thing I have learnt is that the body delivers pain as a signal that something is not right.
    Thanks.

The fact that it was my right knee and most of the spins I was doing when dancing MJ was on my right, and I was finding it sticky to spin suggests that I shouldn't freestyle in my dance trainers on that floor! Maybe wear them for the Lindy class then change.

And after taking Ibuprofen and wearing a support most of the day, its feeling much better. Hopefully will be fine in a day or two (cos I want to dance at the BFG!).

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I usually get offers to help! I think we should do it in public and try and get a little stretching group going at every dance event.

You would !!!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    This post on the ceroc forum based out of australia (but in use by the odd UK bod too)
    http://www.cerocforum.com/showthread...86&postcount=6
    Clicked on the link & got to a post about cooking.
    Love dance, will travel

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Clicked on the link & got to a post about cooking.
    they've updated the cerocforum it seems , the new link is

http://www.cerocforum.com/showthread...78&postcount=6

Should now work...

Foxy

So anyone got any stretches that are specifically good for your knees (mine also play up sometimes). I'm not quite sure whether you should be stretching your quods or inner thighs or quite what - perhaps both of these?

The Aussie stretches mentioned sound like they might be useful.

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    So anyone got any stretches that are specifically good for your knees (mine also play up sometimes). I'm not quite sure whether you should be stretching your quods or inner thighs or quite what - perhaps both of these?

The Aussie stretches mentioned sound like they might be useful.
    Knees all conected with feet, ankles, legs and hips (not unsurprisingly), so good stretches for the knees are quads, hamstrings, inner thigh (esp VMO - although hard to stretch easily), hip flexor, outer hip (can't remember technical term), calves, achilles, and glutes (bottom)... should hold stretches for at least 20 seconds to a minute and repeat 8 hourly....

At least thats what you should do in theory - in practice some is better than none....

Cheers - I'll really have to get out my yoga DVDs and try to do them more often!

Dunno what VMO is though... I think I'll get googling and see what comes up.

Thread Information