Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dance-related hobbies

An Eclectic Toaster

Dance-related hobbies

I've been feeling of late that I ought to develop a new hobby. However I'd like it to be something which helps my dancing in some (not immediately obvious) way. Any interesting ideas out there, or are we all single-minded dance obsessives?

Possible ideas so far are martial arts, and learning to play a musical instrument. Any others? I've been thinking mental rather than physical pursuits, to improve my ability to concentrate/think ahead etc.

How about music theory and/or something with pattern-recognition skills?

well you've heard of train spotters and plane spotters - how about starting a new craze of dance spotting? The idea is you go to competitions and write down the "serial number" you see on some dancers. All you need for this is a pen, paper and the knowledge of where to go. Et voila - endless hours of amusement!

J

I'll think of something serious soon...

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Jayne
    well you've heard of train spotters and plane spotters - how about starting a new craze of dance spotting? The idea is you go to competitions and write down the "serial number" you see on some dancers.
    You mean have a national register of dancers, each with their own unique number to use in all dance competitions? [runs off screaming into the hills]
    I'll think of something serious soon...

Originally posted by Aleks
    How about music theory and/or something with pattern-recognition skills?
    I know a fair bit of music theory already - not much point in listening to classical music without it. Pattern-recognition skills is interesting though. I wonder if speed chess players would make good dancers - you know, the ability to think and analyse far ahead under time pressure?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Stuart M
    I wonder if speed chess players would make good dancers - you know, the ability to think and analyse far ahead under time pressure?
    No is the answer to that!
    My neighbour is one of the top chess players in the country and I was invited to his children's Barmizvahs (spelling???) during which I've never seen such an uncoordinated person in my life (and his friends for that matter) it was like watching a scene from Monty Python!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

How about yoga. I did it for a bit (and still use some of the exercises), and found it helped my balance and posture (as well as improved flexibility), and chilled my brain out to improvise comfortably. Should really discipline myself to start doing it again.

Just a thought.

M

or Tai Chi/Qi Gung.
    I do a class of each every week and it really helps with balance and concentration.

Originally posted by Aleks
    something with pattern-recognition skills?
    Hey, you [stuart] could become a molecular profiler like me! You already know how to use computers so you're half way there - just need to learn the biology now!

J

still trying to think of something serious...

Hey, you [stuart] could become a molecular profiler like me! You already know how to use computers so you're half way there - just need to learn the biology now!
    Don't you have to be a girl to be a biologist?

Stuart
    Good luck in finding a new hobby. I recommend rock-climbing! Includes both mental and physical pursuits and is good fun. I know several people with dance-related injuries/pains & aches and most of them involves problems with shoulders and/or neck: Climbing will help you build strength to avoid these types of injuries and help you switch off and good anti stress medicine. Whether you just go for in-door climbing or "the real thing" is up to you, but very addictive and fun sport! I tried it first time at a party (in mini-skirt! ...mental note to find and destroy the film..!) at a friends house = big house with in-door climbing wall! and loved it!
    Take care & play safe...
    Mon x

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Don't you have to be a girl to be a biologist?
    Well if you're a girl you can be a biologist at low level - but if you want to make it in biology you have to be a bloke.

Where did I put my soapbox???

Hobbies.... still thinking...

J

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Monika
    big house with in-door climbing wall! and loved it!

WOW the things people have in their houses!!! The best house I've ever been to, had a mini cinema...fantastic!

Sorry! I know I'm off the thread!

Trying to get slightly back on thread.... I paint, I know its got nothing what so ever to do with dancing but it's a HOBBY OK!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Monika
    I recommend rock-climbing!
    Might give this a go...

I tried it first time at a party (in mini-skirt! ...mental note to find and destroy the film..!) at a friends house
    ...but I'll leave the mini-skirts to Bill

Rock-climbing/dancing - don't you get to combine these in some Aberdeen venues anyway ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stuart M
    Rock-climbing/dancing - don't you get to combine these in some Aberdeen venues anyway ?

...well - you just have to come up for a visit to check...! House walls in the Silver City tempting too...
    Lot's of great venues for in-door and out-door climbing in Bonnie Scotland! The new Ratho adventure center = National Climbing center near Edinburgh airport not too far away and I'm sure there are local venues in Glasgow too. Don't need any gear to give it a go as can get tuition and hire kit - until you get hooked and want your own...
    Ratho includes impressive climbing arena (still under development), but there are also plans for a scuba diving center, running/mountain bike trails, gym, saunas, shops, etc. Complex includes 80 bedrooms en-suite and SPA etc... Great place to try out new hobbies..!!!

Hmmm, two suggestions:

1). running - build up your endurance.
    2). juggling - learn to experience "bullet time" -- see the gaps in the moves. Plus handy for doing hand changes when your shoulders are sweaty.

SpinDr.

Monika, you can probably answer this. I think it was when I was doing a job in Aberdeen that I tried a climbing wall in a converted church - I think it was called St Mary's. They had colour coded climbs to coincide with the grading system of climbs. Great place, and you could hire climbing shoes. If it wasn't Aberdeen it must have been Edinburgh.

M

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mary
    [B]Monika, you can probably answer this. I think it was when I was doing a job in Aberdeen that I tried a climbing wall in a converted church - I think it was called St Mary's. They had colour coded climbs to coincide with the grading system of climbs. Great place, and you could hire climbing shoes. If it wasn't Aberdeen it must have been Edinburgh.

Mary
    ..been to St Mary's too - great place in Edinburgh.
    We have in-door climbing wall at the Beach Leisure centre in Aberdeen. (Stuart right next to Beach Ballroom venue...! open until 23pm week-days and until 9pm'ish Saturdays and Sundays).

Take care

Do I sense a 3D solution forming to the room to dance problem?

Abseil / bungee / balloon jive?

You have time for hobbies outside of dancing???
    oooooh, jealous.

I would say that any martial art that involves weapon use would be a good one to take up; there are so many similarities between controlling a weapon and leading a lady.
    I would love to learn with the Bo staff, but don't have the time to find somewhere or get leasons. I know of at least five (good) dancers that have fenced (or still do) - one of which is a "Professor" of fencing, another is me, and I'm sure that it was Andy who confessed to being a sabreur.

I think that you would have to take up tiddlywinks to find somthing that you could not apply to dancing...

An Eclectic Toaster
    Oops - this was just a cheeky reference to O'Donoghues somewhat unusual floor near the bar !

And regarding juggling, spindr - good suggestion, I could do it quite well a few years back. Must break out those skittles again...

Thread Information