Thread: Unwanted Telephone calls

Unwanted Telephone calls

I dont know about anyone else but I am absolutely sick of getting phone calls at home from 'cold calling' telephone sales/marketing people.

The current tactic is to use an automated dialling service which telephones about 10 people at once (well quite a few anyway). The first one to pick up has to put up with someone trying to sell them a new kitchen (which just happened to me) or some other product they didnt want.

The other 9 people just hear a dead phone line.

I have just been doing a bit of reading about how to stop them.

For anyone who wasnt aware the 'Telephone Preference Service' was set up with the permission of OFTEL to build a list of all the residential numbers that choose to 'opt out' of this marketing potential.

Every such business has a legal responsibility to check this list and NOT CONTACT all those numbers on it.

It is free to register your telephone number. I know quite a few people who have done so and they are not bothered by these people anymore.

If anyone wants to register the number go to http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

-----------

This was a public service announcement on behalf of the 'p****d off consumer party' !!

The Forum Legend

I've just added both my phone numbers to this list. Can't wait to fill out the complaint form about Dance Party who keep sending me text messages about dancing in Brighton, despite me asking not to get them!!!

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp

I've just added both my phone numbers to this list. Can't wait to fill out the complaint form about Dance Party who keep sending me text messages about dancing in Brighton, despite me asking not to get them!!!

Steve
    Give'em hell. They ARE breaking the law now!!! (you could represent yourself in court Steve) Thats if im not mistaken your doing a law qualification??

I've also had one that's a pre-recorded message when you pick up saying something like "congratulations you've one a holiday" - I don't know what happens after this as I cut them off, but that's on the home line, not a mobile

Originally posted by Pammy
    I've also had one that's a pre-recorded message when you pick up saying something like "congratulations you've one a holiday" - I don't know what happens after this as I cut them off, but that's on the home line, not a mobile
    as far as i know the tps provide protection primarily for residential phones.

as long as the prerecorded message gives you some info about who is calling ie. name, tel no...whatever then you go to tps site to the complaints page and fill in the detais. they then chase it up.

it may not stop them all but its worth doing.

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Unwanted Telephone calls

Originally posted by Paul F
    For anyone who wasnt aware the 'Telephone Preference Service' was set up with the permission of OFTEL to build a list of all the residential numbers that choose to 'opt out' of this marketing potential.
    I did this some time ago and it does seem to work (with very few exceptions). However if you're a customer of an organisation I believe they're still allowed to ring you - my least favourite example is a garage-related organisation who I foolishly gave my phone number once when I had my car in, and they periodically barrage my phone with calls offering me car insurance.
    Love dance, will travel

The Forum Legend
    Can't you make it stop if you are no longer a customer of theirs then??

Steve

There are also scammers who claim you have won a prize, and then give you a premium rate number to claim it. How much "Please hold" and muzak can you take?

I just put the reciver down, gently, off hook. This keeps the senders line busy for a while so that they cannot dial the next victim on it, and hopefully racks up their bill.

I do keep forgetting to put it back on hook later though.

The Dashing Moderator
    Can't you make it stop if you are no longer a customer of theirs then??

Steve
    I don't know. Probably.

In the case of the car insurance one I do still use the company to get tyres even though I never give them my phone number any more. I suspect the first time I gave them my number I didn't tick a box that says I didn't want them to call me, so maybe it doesn't count as an "unsolicited" call for the purposes of the legislation unless I specifically ask them to stop. I would need an understanding of the law to work that one out.

BTW I don't think the preference service takes effect instantly - I think companies have 28 days after you register before they have to stop calling you.
    Love dance, will travel

Originally posted by DavidY

BTW I don't think the preference service takes effect instantly - I think companies have 28 days after you register before they have to stop calling you.

Oooo! Thats good to know. Thanks David.

No doubt I would have gone off on my "Ahhh but im on the list" speech only to find that they were allowed to ring me.

Thats saved a bit of embarassment

The Dashing Moderator

Other Preference Services

Originally posted by Paul F
    For anyone who wasnt aware the 'Telephone Preference Service' was set up with the permission of OFTEL to build a list of all the residential numbers that choose to 'opt out' of this marketing potential. ~Snip~
    If anyone wants to register the number go to http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/
    Incidentally there are other preference services as well:
    * Mailing preference service - which stops unsolicited direct mail through your letter box. I've signed up for this too and it seems to work. See http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsR/html/default.asp
    * Fax preference service. You can get to this from either the telephone or mailing preference links - but does anyone still use fax machines?
    * Email preference service. Again you can get to it from the first two pages. Not tried it, but I guess it only stops unsolicited emails from reputable UK companies, which would describe less than 1% of the junk emails I get.
    Love dance, will travel

This is all useful information. Must action this. I've noticed recently an increase in calls with a recorded message (I just hang up). I work from home some days and it really bugs me when I am trying to work and get a 'sales' call. And junk mail goes straight in the bin, unopened. Is there anyone who isn't annoyed by these sales calls? There must be some take up on the offers or they wouldn't persist.

Re: Re: Unwanted Telephone calls

it does seem to work (with very few exceptions)(
    Like MOPS (the postal version) it's a voluntary scheme. The idea is that 'reputable' marketing organisations will not contact people who've expressed a preference not to receive letters/phone calls. If Company A doesn't think it needs to worry about whether it's perceived as 'reputable' or not, it won't bother.

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Unwanted Telephone calls

Originally posted by Barry Shnikov
    Like MOPS (the postal version) it's a voluntary scheme. The idea is that 'reputable' marketing organisations will not contact people who've expressed a preference not to receive letters/phone calls. If Company A doesn't think it needs to worry about whether it's perceived as 'reputable' or not, it won't bother.
    I think the telephone one is more than just a voluntary scheme - I could be wrong, but I believe it has the force of law and it's actually illegal for them to call you once you've registered (after 28 days) unless (?not sure about this bit?) you're an existing customer or have ticked a box somewhere saying you don't mind being phoned.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Steve
    I'm banned by Dance Party and I still receive those text messages - what do you have to do to make them stop

And what did I do to get banned, I hear you ask. I complained when a dance that was advertised on their own website as free turned out to be one where I was charged £5 to get in! The guy who runs it was advised to repay me by his local Trading Standards Office as he was in the wrong. So he banned me for complaining even though I was right

As some people will remember, he's also the one who gave me rude instructions which only a hermaphrodite could comply with And while I'm on the subject of sexes or lack of them, here a bit of text from his website

LADIES NIGHT

Saturday 7th February
    LADIES £3 GUYS £6

Is this differentiating based on gender? Is it legal in this day and age?

If I hadn't been banned I know how I would have dressed

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    I still receive those text messages - what do you have to do to make them stop
    I think the answer may lie somewhere in The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 which seems to cover sms text messages. I don't claim to understand it though.
    Love dance, will travel

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    LADIES NIGHT

Saturday 7th February
    LADIES £3 GUYS £6

Is this differentiating based on gender? Is it legal in this day and age?

If I hadn't been banned I know how I would have dressed
    That's an interesting pint. I'm a guest DJ at a nightclub on a friday night, and I'm told that the ladies get in free..... want the address?

Trash post etc

I have logged some of my numbers, and address with those companies, and my junk mail has reduced by about 80%
    My junk phone calls have almost dissappeared
    I'm now interested in the junk texts. i didn't know they could be stopped so will give them a try. I'm sick of winning those prizes
    Thanks for the link

If you have any problems you could always do what my youngest son does.... He answers.." and how much credit will you give a convicted fraudster with 10 CCJ's?" click.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Before the preference service was about, if I had the time I used to try to turn the coin, and try to sell them something, usually the first thing that came into my head. On one occasion I got a very gullable guy interested in a time share in Italy for $1,000. He was just about biting and then the line went dead :cry: But I had a good bit of fun at the time, and about 20 minutes of THEIR call time

I think the answer may lie somewhere in The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 which seems to cover sms text messages. I don't claim to understand it though.
    DavidY thank you very much
    THAT is the link that tells you in very complex jargon, about the law relating to the transmission of..
    Junk phone calls, land line or mobile
    Junk fax messages
    and any manually or automatically transmitted messages, either written or spoken.
    Briefly,(and I've only scanned thru it) EVEN IF YOU MAY HAVE GIVEN CONSENT, you can request the sender to STOP, and take your number off their system, as your number constitutes "part of your private and personal information".
    If a company has "withheld" their number from you, and your equipment has the facility to display their number (caller identification), you can request YOUR PROVIDER(landline or mobile) to supply the number to you for the purposes of getting them to remove your number IF THE CALLS ARE TO BE DEEMED A NUISANCE.
    Good luck, and thanks again DavidY

Thread Information