View Poll Results: How much do you drink on a club night?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • MALE - Nothing, nada, zilch

52 45.61%
  • MALE - a wee dram

3 2.63%
  • MALE - couple of pints

6 5.26%
  • MALE - until the room spins as much as I do

4 3.51%
  • FEMALE - Nothing, nada, zilch

37 32.46%
  • FEMALE - a wee dram

8 7.02%
  • FEMALE - couple of Breezers etc.

4 3.51%
  • FEMALE - until the room spins as much as I do

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Ceroc drive you to drink?

Question Does Ceroc drive you to drink?

In my search for a decent freestyle venue, the issue of alcohol and bar licenses reared its ugly head .... please take pity for us English folk still suffering from arcane licensing regulations...

....then it occured to me that for most people maybe alcoholic drinks weren't an issue ... hence the poll.

Please note there are seperate polls for lads and lasses as, in my limited experience, ladies tend to find that drinking and spinning don't mix too well (and I'll avoid the obvious jokes about spilling drink etc..)

Anyway, what are your thoughts ... does drink help or hinder?

Don't Need Drink

Personally, Gus, I don't ever drink alcohol when I am dancing, in fact the only time I am ever likely to drink is a couple of glasses of wine with a meal or if friends are up at my house.
    Oe of the reasons I liked Ceroc so much was that most of the people in particular the men I met, were stone cold sober.
    Having been married to a man who never came home unless he'd stopped for a couple of pints in the pub, it was a refreshing change to actually encounter a circle of people who did not need alcohol to function as human beings!!!! Alcohol alters peoples personalities and not always for the better!!

Heather

I probably get through a couple of pints......of water!!!

I don't drink alcohol unless it is a party night but even then it would only be one or two

Cheers
    Steven

Re: Don't Need Drink

Originally posted by Heather
    Alcohol alters peoples personalities and not always for the better!!
    After my last experience of alcohol altered lads in Hanley (main town in Stoke-on-Trent), I have to concur.

As I always had to drive to club and freestyle nights I never used to really drink. Recently though I've been taken to most gigs so started drinking. Strange thing happened .... started getting feedback that I was getting rough to dance with ..... after that shock to the system its been back on the coke. Its scary how just a few pints can make a difference, bit like drinking and driving.

Final point ... one of the worst experiences you can have is trying to dance with a woman who is plastered ... had this a couple of times and it really is unpleasant.
    Last edited by Gus; 28th-August-2002 at 12:15 AM.

My kind of subject

I find that drink always helps.

Obviously not having to dance, I'm somewhat free to explore the bottom of the odd glass. God help the days when the deejay doesn't have the friendly banter from the bar to raise his/her weary spirits.

How could you possibly steal from us that precious abuse one only receives from the alcoholic alter (also read toilets)? It just isn't on. We have rights!!

I beg of you Gus, for the sake of deejays everywhere, hold your nights in a public house!!

It won't let me vote....dunno why..but i'd go for the "couple of breezers" option. I'll have 2 or 3 bottles on a party night but if we're carrying on to another place....say a salsa bar for instance, i'll tend to have more when we get there. I tend to end up a bit of a fruit loop though not so bad if you have company, but when everyone else is sober....JEEZ!!!

i've learnt my lesson though. made a mental note to myself "never get drunk untill you witness someone worse than yourself"

filthycute x x

Don't drink and dance......!

Having voted I thought I would add my tuppence-worth here. I never drink alcohol when I dance primarily because it is hard enough trying to keep the the moves nicely sequenced sober !

The last time I drank and danced (2 weeks ago at a wedding) my wife and I started off Cerocing, then for some reason I got it in to my head that we were doing WCS, and by the end of the record I was trying to salsa! I don't know which one of us was most confused......!

Stubob.

Personally I have not much money, and a pint is expensive enough to prevent me drinking too much.
    Anyway, I absolutely do not need alcohol.
    But I am definitely not the average Scottish guy.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    I find that one drink loosens me up sufficiently enough to ask people to dance. It might be psycological. I never drink before the freestyling starts though, because I find even one drink makes me wobble in a lesson (actually I tend to wobble in lessons for some reason anyhow...something to do with going slowly I think).

Dutch Courage

Funny ... thinking back, when I first started teaching I always had to have a drink before going on stage .... not a series of rum chasers, but just a bottle of Becks ... supping that during the beginners lesson would ease me through.

Though I'm not as terrified as I use to be, still get slighlty nervous before I get on stage and find that a bottle of Becks is a bit of a talisman ... even though these days I usualy don't get to drink it until the first lesson is over!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus
    Funny ... thinking back, when I first started teaching I always had to have a drink before going on stage ....
    I too have a bit of a tradition, I like to have one Gin & tonic before my class... I don't think it loosens me up (I usuallyl don't need much encouragement ), but it refreshes and relaxes me before going on stage.
    Saying that on a Monday night, we do not have a bar, so I have to do without...
    I wonder if my teaching style is affected?

However to come back to your original question, having a bar on the night, makes the venue a more welcoming prospect for new members, and helps the night become more sociable, so if you can then go for it.

Franck.

Possibly!!

I would have thought the more you drink at the Tuesday Aberdeen night, the more those stairs become a frightening proposition.

Keep telling yourself man "I shan't fall down those stairs doing some funky move, I shan't fall down those stairs!!"

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Possibly!!

Originally posted by DJ Curtain
    Keep telling yourself man "I shan't fall down those stairs doing some funky move, I shan't fall down those stairs!!"
    Not me! I am more likely to throw my partners into a treble spin off the stage :sorry

Franck.

Yeah that sounds familiar!!

Did it involve Lisa perchance?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Don't Need Drink

Originally posted by Gus

Final point ... one of the worst experiences you can have is trying to dance with a woman who is plastered ... had this a couple of times and it really is unpleasant.
    It is really unpleasant to dance with ANYONE who is plastered -

closely followed by someone who has just come back from having a cigarette (wee hint - your breath still reeks, wait a few minutes and have a mint or two [sorry - personal hate!]).

I often wish I could follow fc's lead and have one or two drinks but unfortunately I seem to totally loose any sense of balance that I had. Tried it once after a particularly sh**** day at work and couldn't even manage the beginners class properly so I now abstain.

I would agree with Franck though it's probably better if the hall can sell drink as those who don't perhaps dance all night (and to every record that they can) can still enjoy their social tipple.

You had been drinking the night you were in Dundee right?

Only jokin' Gus - almost as smooth as old Fred Astaire himself

Re: Re: Re: Don't Need Drink

Originally posted by Sheena

You had been drinking the night you were in Dundee right?
    OK ... so I admit that I had been drinking, but needed to calm my nerves after trying demo on a stage of tables barely held together with elsatic bands ... NOT the best surface to demo a right handed archie spin on ... think I left my knee caps there!

Case in point ... only has a few bottles but I was daft enough to dance with you to that insane Bugle Boy song ..... soon sobered up when I realised how fast it was and that you weren't going to let me finish prematurely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't Need Drink

Originally posted by Gus

soon sobered up when I realised how fast it was and that you weren't going to let me finish prematurely
    Something tells me this isn't the first time you have used that sentence Gus. Sorry people for lowering the tone yet again, but somebody had to say it.

Just a thought regarding the poll. It seems there are a scary number of people staying sober at the Ceroc nights.

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Only the other day I talked to a few of the venue managers and they claim profits have never been higher. I think you should give yourselves a big hand, apparently you even out drink the men's 25-stone-plus darts championship team's bar bill (now that's a mouthful).

Keep on rockin'!!
    Last edited by Curtain; 29th-August-2002 at 11:13 PM.

The Oracle
    A couple of pints is my normal limit for Ceroc - after that I seem to be able to think of moves ok, but can't lead them. I usually drive anyway, so it's more like a pint of shandy, followed by orange juice!

The only time I ever drink more is late at night at Camber Sands (a big dance weekend on the South Coast). By that time I've done enough dancing to last me for a month.

I need to have a lot more before Salsa makes sense...

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't Need Drink

Originally posted by DJ Curtain

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Only the other day I talked to a few of the venue managers and they claim profits have never been higher. I think you should give yourselves a big hand, apparently you even out do the men's 25-stone-plus darts championships bar bill (now that's a mouthful).

Aha ... you are making the classical mistake of thinking that pints = profits. After working for Whitbread I can reveal the worst kept secret in the industry ... thre REAL profit is from ripping off drivers and teetotal drinkers ... how? Look at how much you pay for your soft drinks ... about the same as a pint? And lets guess ... does it cost the same to make a pint of coke as a pint of beer?? :reallymad :reallymad

Nuff said ... that where tyhe profits come from, thats why venues loves to have non-alcoholic drinkers.

Sorry ... digressed there somewhat.

Totally Concur.

You have hit the nail on the head there Gus, I worked in a pub as a student years ago and it is true, there is MUCH more money to be made selling soft drinks than alcoholic ones.
    The Olympia is a case in point, every soft drink there is £1, a can of coke, Sprite, paper cup of orange squash (holds about half a pint) you name it- it's £1. They are laughing all the way to the bank!!!!!!!!!:reallymad :reallymad And it's so hot there that you can quickly become dehydrated if you don't drink enough fluids.
    If Asda can sell a can of cola/ lemonade etc for around 30p and make a profit, then it doesn't take Einstein to work out just who is being ripped off. The orange squash is even more of a rip- off, just how many half pints of squash at £1 each can you make out of a litre bottle of squash which costs around 90p????
    (That's your homework for this week DJ Curtain -and you'd better get it handed in on time or punishment exercise will be issued!!!!!) I'll set FilthyCute on you!!!!

Thread Information