Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Champs 2004

For future years The champs should be held somewhere around Birmingham IMO.

The reason for this is that it means that our friends North of the Border and indeed those North of Watford don't have so far to come.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Jon L

The reason for this is that it means that our friends North of the Border and indeed those North of Watford don't have so far to come.
    But it's probably cheaper, and just as easy, to come down from Scotland to London, as it is from Scotland to Birmingham. Since we're probably going to fly anyhow. I'm guessing that there's more flights to London - and if we get enough notice, we can get the cheap flights.

And I'd guess that the majority of the people at the champs are from in or around London (and would this change if you moved them to Birmingham?). Should you penalise the many, to attempt to benefit the few?

I think that they probably should be in London. But it would be nice if they were in a better venue. Thanks for trying to think of us though Jon.

Steve

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Jon L

Lovely thought John, but as Steve points out it's just as quick and cheap for us to get to London as it is to Birmingham.

There must be a decent sized venue somewhere in London. I really would think twice about going down to the Palais again even if it meant I could dance with lots of Forumites because there is so little room to dance and at times it feels very dangerous.

If the Scottish teams enter then I might go and support them but undecided at the moment.

The Oracle
    There are plenty of large venues in London - Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane, Paragon Hotel in Fulham, even the Royal Albert Hall are all used for major ballroom dance competitions. A bit further out is the International Hall in Brentwood (Essex).

They probably cost a bit though...

David

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Emma
    For me it's the people that make the event and I would rather be with my friends (and all those potential new friends!)
    Absolutely, roll on the BFG, RBs, Beach Boogie, etc, etc.

Greg

So, if there is to be a (London) ceroc championships this year, why isn't there anything on the main ceroc website about it yet? Word has it there won't be one anyway...

Birmingham sounds a good idea...:-)

2nd biggest city & all that..

G

No other reason to go ther thu ..

I agree with you Graham, but there again anywhere is better than Hammersmith

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by Emma
    Yeah me too...granted the Palais is not an ideal venue (er..and it hasn't actually been confirmed that it's there yet, has it?!) but I'd rather go to the Champs at a less-than-perfect venue than not be able to go at all. For me it's the people that make the event and I would rather be with my friends (and all those potential new friends!) than not have it at all. C'mon guys, find the good in it! (Just call me Pollyanna )
    Had an e-mail the other day about the champs it's supposed to be on the 2nd may (sorry sheepy) at Hammersmith palais. The application forms are supposed to be out next week.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Had an e-mail the other day about the champs it's supposed to be on the 2nd may (sorry sheepy) at Hammersmith palais. The application forms are supposed to be out next week.
    Hurrah!!!!!!!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

At last!! Thanks Taz. See you there then.

M

Originally posted by Bill
    ... Yep... it is that dark. MAybe one of the few advantages of a thong then. Can't really get them round the wrong way But at a comp you really need your good big dance pants eh !!!!!!!
    :
    Hmmm! YOu've obviously never worn a thong then!!!!!

Or are guys ones bigger at the front?

Originally posted by Mary
    At last!! Thanks Taz. See you there then.
    Well unless someone has taken a shotgun to the palais management and sacked all the bouncers, you won't see me back at the Palais.

I had enough of the place when LeJive used to run their competitions there, but had my arm twisted into going again last year to do a repeat performance of our double trouble routine - more fool me. Making us queue half way up the high street while bouncers search bags confiscating any food or drink was not a great start to the day.....

A dance competition is an energetic athletic event of significant duration. Any athlete worth their salt would always go to such an event loaded with suitable energy drinks and high energy food. To be told we can't take that crucial nutrition into the venue where the only provided alternative is poor (and very expensive) redbull-imitation and burger and chips is unaccaptable !!!

Come on Ceroc - if you are going to run a competition, treat it like one and not a night club event where you are trying to pack as many people through the door as possible and then fleece them for all the money in their wallet. If you insist on using the Palais, please give us some reassurance that we will be allowed to take our own food and drink into the venue this year.

Rob

Originally posted by DavidB
    There are plenty of large venues in London - Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane, Paragon Hotel in Fulham, even the Royal Albert Hall are all used for major ballroom dance competitions. A bit further out is the International Hall in Brentwood (Essex).
    I seem to remember that the Student National Ballroom competition was held in the Savoy Ballroom at the Grosvenor House Hotel back in 1993. It was a fantastic venue with a very large dance floor, loads of space around the edges of the dance floor for tables and seating, and a balcony all around the venue for further viewing opportunities. I haven't been back there since then, but I'm sure it's still an excellent venue.

Rob

*sigh* Once again there is a poor decision at the Ceroc Champs.....

So the question now is going to be - just how good is our resolve? Will we stick to our guns and avoid this comp because 1) the organisers have so little respect for their customers and 2) IT'S A DIRE VENUE (IMHO, of course).

Or will we all give in to peer pressure again and trundle along because we're too addicted to miss a dance event?

I'm hoping for the former.

J
    *sigh*

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Jayne
    So the question now is going to be - just how good is our resolve?
    Well right now I'm saying I shall save myself for other things, eg (if the injuries heal) Britroc - great venue, excellent organisation, and (not that this really matters to 99.9% of us) great prizes.

But I will be free for the pre competition party! (What pre competition party )

Greg

Originally posted by Jayne
    *sigh* Once again there is a poor decision at the Ceroc Champs.....

So the question now is going to be - just how good is our resolve? Will we stick to our guns and avoid this comp because 1) the organisers have so little respect for their customers and 2) IT'S A DIRE VENUE (IMHO, of course).

J
    *sigh*
    Jayne

I don't think you guys realise how much money a large dance venue in London costs!! Or how far in advance they need to be booked. Some venues are booked up 2-3 years in advance!!!
    its not just the hall hire, there is sound systems, certified dance floors, security, ticketing, promotions and some venues in london you have to bring in your own seating, tables etc etc. Not as cut and dry as people think.

If the ticket prices went up because of a different venue I am sure you will all complain about that

I agree that the Palais is not the best venue in town, but surely its the people that go that make it a good day??

Please don't take this as a personal attack, its not and also please don't think that I don't agree that the palais is not the best, but for the moment it is the venue that has been arranged therefore we should all give it some support.

I think the champs has been great over the years and everyone always has a good time, so lets start to be a little more positive.

Dan

OK, we all know the venue sucks - even the guys who run the comp I suspect - I have done my fair share of complaining in the past too - but boycotting won't help it I imagine (apart from making more space for those who do go)

The ballroom comp venues listed are way too expensive - and I'm sure NOT an option. Grosvenor House?? Hooley dooley man!

You apparently don't realise how expensive ballroom is in comparison to Ceroc. It's a universe of expense out of our league... and AMEN - Thank heavens for that too! Let's keep it that way.

Boycotting the Palias will only make it look like a comp in London is a bad idea and it won't be moved for following years - just cancelled.

Let's look on the bright side - at least we will have a comp - YAY! - someone will organise it for us (even if not to our exact hopes and plans) which is no small task - and we get to have fun with our friends .

We should be prepared to leave food and drink at the front door - yep, that kind of sucks too - but at least last year I could leave it there and go out for some peace and quiet to eat it - maybe a few chairs would be nice so I don't have to sit on the floor again - but heck - could have been worse!

B.T.C.
    But...........Debster and Dan...............you possibly forget how expensive it is for those of us up north to get down for the weekend.

I didn't think London was that bad the first year I went as it was all so new - although I didn't dance too much because it was so busy.

What has happened is that we have been 'spoiled' by Blackpool. The venue and atmosphere are far superior and if I'm going to spend a few hundered pounds on flights, trains, B &B etc... then I expect a decent venue.

I heard almost immediately after last years event that it would be moving this year so the organisers have had a year to look and plan. At least last year they limited the numbers a little so there was some breathing space but it's still a poor venue for such a major event.

And yes, the people can make the event but if you spend most of the time watching dancers around you or being kicked and jostled then it doesn't make it an enjoyable day.

The event was very well organised last year and we all realise how expensive a venue can be - which raises the question of whether it has to be in the middle of London.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dan Hudson
    I don't think you guys realise how much money a large dance venue in London costs!! Or how far in advance they need to be booked. Some venues are booked up 2-3 years in advance!!!
    hmm thats a big assumption for you to make, and slightly patronising too. Hammersmith is a very poor venue indeed for the Ceroc champs, you breaking down the cost into individual units doesn't alter that fact.

If the ticket prices went up because of a different venue I am sure you will all complain about that
    Another assumption, I expect you'd get lots of compliments about the improved venue along with any about a price increase. You cant please all of the people all of the time, but you'll never get all of them to agree on what to complain about.

I agree that the Palais is not the best venue in town, but surely its the people that go that make it a good day??
    Too crowded to dance with them in freestyle bits, or watch them when they're competing! I went 3 years ago and have no intention of going back till the venue improves, maybe thats just me though. If you do get a good spot and dont mind not getting to dance with people, at least its central-ish.

Thread Information