Thread: The English are Coming!

Talking The English are Coming!

Yes ... I KNOW that the Scottish Champs are primarily a fun event and I fully apprecaite that the Scottish reputation for hospitality is well earned ... BUT, will you still feel the same when those cowardly sassanachs come up to the Champs and make off with all the silverware?:reallymad

Over the last few weeks I've found out of at least two couples coming up to Scotland from the NorthWest who are a little on the good side. One couple in particular, from my old club, could prove a little challenging ... so will the Scotts be able to defend their honour ... and silverware.

I know that there is vast talent in the female dancers ... but are there the men to take up the challenge? I've only seen one advert from a lad willing to make the effort to find a partner to take up the challenge ... but who else will step into the breach?

Yup ... its all for fun but competitions do prove a usefull incentive to improve your dance style, learn old moves better and take on new moves.

Its all for fun but can you let the Southern invaders once more run amok and pillage the Highlands?

John S ... I expect at least you to take up the gauntlet!

Re: The English are Coming!

Originally posted by Gus

Its all for fun but can you let the Southern invaders once more run amok and pillage the Highlands?
    I notice you missed out "rape" - just as well since Franck would have undoubtedly considered it off message!

John S ... I expect at least you to take up the gauntlet!
    I hope you don't mean I should have offered my services to the guy advertising for a partner!

Oh yes, I'll be entering, but much in the spirit of Cowdenbeath going in for the Scottish Cup - try my best, probable first round exit but possibly a glamour tie with a high-quality dancer in the lucky dip, some fond memories and a few more photos for the centenary yearbook.

But I don't mind who wins in Musselburgh - Scottish, English, Martian, whatever as long as we all participate in a spirit of fun, generosity and enjoyment. "Strictly Ballroom" was a marvellous film, but I hope Ceroc never goes that way (and there are some worrying signs!!). In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter a toss who wins a dance competition - it's nice for the individuals concerned, but that's it!

If some dancers come north for the competition that's excellent - they will be welcomed and appreciated, just as those of us who go to clubs in England are made to feel welcome and part of the dance family. And if they dance well on the day and win, that's fine too (after all, I'm half-English, but don't tell anyone!)

(Going back to the football analogy, remember that a few years ago Dundee United fans won the UEFA Fair Play Award for the generous response they gave to AFK Gothenburg, who had just narrowly beaten United in the final of the UEFA Cup - so don't fall for all the Braveheart tosh - everyone's welcome!)

Re: Re: The English are Coming!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John S

"Strictly Ballroom" was a marvellous film, but I hope Ceroc never goes that way (and there are some worrying signs!!). In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter a toss who wins a dance competition - it's nice for the individuals concerned, but that's it!
    QUOTE]

Well met sir!

In fcat couldn't agree more. I DO hope that the event will be seen as a fun, social event raising needed funds for a good cause ... but at the same time I think that a little element of competition is always good for 'Cowdenbeath' dancers to raise their game and surprise everyone,including themselves.

I have no doubt that once the results are declared the real party will start, the drinks will flow, the floor will be packed and the Amanda/Filthy/Sheena crew will teach the Southern men the true meaning of fear!

I've never competed before. Not in ceroc or any other dance, and i'm certainly not clued up about who's who or where people are in the ratings. I dance purely for fun, meeting the people at the classes and sometimes even indulging in extra curricular activities
    I really don't care who woz robbed at which event, which judges are biased or all the other bitchiness which spoils these events.
    Maybe if i got more involved with competitions i would give a hoot, but for now i'm happy to be having fun in the lucky dip section and not giving a toss what happens Lets hope the first Scottish competition goes smoothly and we don't have a forum full of name calling afterwards.

I wonder if one of our southern friends might be a lucky/poor?? guy and end up with me.

I'll be waiting at the border! bring it on!!!

filthycute x x

Commercial Operator

Well said.

Well said Mel C. (C is for cute.)

Would be good to remember the main reason it's called a competition is because HQ wanted to keep the word "Championship."

Please, let's keep it fun, enjoyable, a celebration of dance, music, some cool people. Oh, and the small matter of raising funds for a worthwhile cause. And let's not get too anal, here.

(No accusations here, Gus, but the potential would be there to do so in this thread if people so chose. )

Enjoy.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Well said.

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    And let's not get too anal, here.
    He he, with your avatar picture, you have a bit of a 'cheek', if you do not mind me saying

I agree with your point though and since I will be involved in the judging, I will make sure everyone involved place the fun and pleasure of dancing over and above complexity and technical wizardry.

Franck.

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock

Please, let's keep it fun, enjoyable, a celebration of dance, music, some cool people. Oh, and the small matter of raising funds for a worthwhile cause. And let's not get too anal, here.
    I think this echos exactly what I said in my previous post .... same sentiment different words.

Reason for the thread was that I'd seen one lonely dancer begging for a partner, and no one (apparently) taking him up on the offer. The whole competition thing shoud be a great blast but I was wondering how many dancers were actualy entering?

I remeber the first Ceroc champs ... no-one in my area eneterd the main categories because they felt they weren't good enough, so they all piled into dance with a stranger. When they saw what 'competiton' standrad actualy was they were kicking themselves because it was well within their reach.

The point I'm trying to make in my usual clumsy way is that it would be a shame if people did not compete in either Int or Avd categories because they thought they would be embarresed. As has been said many times before, its a fun event so everyone should be encouraged to go for the main categories an have a blast. If you go out oin the first round, WHO CARES, its all for charity!

Cool Re: Re: Well said.

Originally posted by Gus

...it would be a shame if people did not compete in either Int or Avd categories because they thought they would be embarresed. As has been said many times before, its a fun event so everyone should be encouraged to go for the main categories an have a blast. If you go out oin the first round, WHO CARES, its all for charity!
    Totally agree - the first time I went to the UK Ceroc Championships I had only been dancing 5 months, and wanted to enter the Beginners' Competition (6mths or less). However, as my partner had been dancing for about a year we reckoned that would be wrong, so we entered the Intermediate. (As an aside, I know not everyone who entered the "Beginners" that year was quite as scrupulous, which is perhaps why Ceroc doesn't have that section any more - pity.)

Anyway, when we saw the standard of the "Beginners" we nearly freaked out, but did our stuff in the Intermediates, and actually get through to the 2nd round, which we were just so excited about!

It's like athletics or swimming in the Plympics - the limelight is on the gold medallists, but you can get an enormous sense of fulfilment just by achieving a personal best, and it's in a good cause anyway.

So come on FC, grab yourself a half-decent dancer and get your name in for one of the main events - I'll cheer for you once I've been eliminated, but until then, watch your ankles!

B.T.C.
    and let's hope it is fun. .........and though I hate to agree with that Englishman again.........Gus is right to encourage everyone to enter. Would be nice if some Scots won something

Competing isn't everyone's cup of tea and not something I particularly enjoy myself. I have great difiiculty with the fixed grin. I'm too nervous to think about actually smiling at the same time :sorry

But some good dancers from over the wall would be great and give some of us something to aim for. If I don't make it then I can't wait to see the video evidence !!!!!!!!

One serious point I was going to make about judging at competitions is whether judges have to declare an interest if anyone they have taught or supported in any way is competing.

As so many top dancers now do workshops and give lessons on a private basis could they be absolutely objective if a 'protegy' was in a heat they were judging eg if I was competing and asked Franck for several private lessons to develop some style would it be OK for him to then judge me? Or would it be OK if he explained that to the other judges or am I talking nonsense as usual

Anyway, now I'm back from my hols and my computer is almost fixed I can join in more discussions

Blog Entries

Re: The English are Coming!

Originally posted by Gus
    Let them all come, from England, Ireland, Wales, Australia, New Zealand, America, France, etc...
    We love visitors in Scotland and we know how to make them feel welcome...
    We are not threatened by anyone, firstly because our standard of dancing in Scotland is excellent, and secondly because anyone who is a great dancer will help us improve! So the more the merrier...

Methinks Gus, that you are the one scared of the competition

Franck.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by bill foreman
    One serious point I was going to make about judging at competitions is whether judges have to declare an interest if anyone they have taught or supported in any way is competing.
    Well up to a point, all the judges would have to declare some interest as most of them will be from Scotland, they will know a lot of the competitors...

The only way will be for all of us (judging) to remain impartial, and I can assure anyone entering from outside Scotland that this will be the case.
    Of course as a result, we (the judges) will probably make many enemies, so please remember what the event is all about, and don't hold grudges!
    Judges are human (I think? ) and a lot of you will probably disagree with some of the decisions made, but as they say:

"the judges decisions will be final"

Franck.

P.S. Come on Bill, stop mucking about, and go down for the Comp. I have put on a bus just for you!

Originally posted by John S
    But I don't mind who wins in Musselburgh - Scottish, English, Martian
    My vote's with the Martian

Amanda

Re: Re: The English are Coming!

Originally posted by Franck

Methinks Gus, that you are the one scared of the competition

Franck.
    Franck ... remember I've met Filthy, Amanda, Linda, Sheena et al .... I'm just plain scared!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Well said.

Originally posted by Gus

I remeber the first Ceroc champs ... no-one in my area eneterd the main categories because they felt they weren't good enough, so they all piled into dance with a stranger. When they saw what 'competiton' standrad actualy was they were kicking themselves because it was well within their reach.

I think this is a problem Gus that we do face up here. There are a lot of people who could enter the competition and do very well (I think it will be someone who is used to entering competitions who will win but to echo your thoughts and John S - who cares?) but they don't think they can compete so they only enter the Lucky Dip. I think it's down to Scot and co to encourage people to give it a bash and enjoy the experience - and if you get past the first round then it's a bonus.

There are only a few dancers North of the Border who have the time, finance and commitment to venture South in pursuit of the many workshops and dance weekends, holidays etc that you have more readily at your disposal. Dance for most is a hobby, something they do for enjoyment that keeps them reasonably fit and offers them a better social life than they've ever had before. It gives the opportunity to meet and make friends with people they would possibly never have come across in their normal routine. They dance for themselves and so don't have that burning desire to see how they will be placed or wish to put themselves through the "trauma" of competing or as FC says end up spending hours disecting where they went wrong or which judge was biased in favour of someone else. They don't intend to start their own companies and therefore need the label of being "winners".

The point I'm trying to make in my usual clumsy way is that it would be a shame if people did not compete in either Int or Avd categories because they thought they would be embarresed. As has been said many times before, its a fun event so everyone should be encouraged to go for the main categories an have a blast. If you go out oin the first round, WHO CARES, its all for charity!
    Having said all of the above I am trying hard to encourage people to enter - I do remember how nervous I was when I competed in Hammersmith 2001 (having spent the best part of 4 months telling Alex not to be worried coz it was a fun thing!) but when it was all done and dusted I had had a great day and was very glad we did it. I also think it can give you a little bit of confidence if you do get through the first round and think "gosh, we must be doing allright then.............."

p.s. Have you found an insane Englishman for Mel yet?

Re: Re: Re: Well said.

Originally posted by Sheena
    There are only a few dancers North of the Border who have the time, finance and commitment to venture South in pursuit of the many workshops and dance weekends, holidays etc that you have more readily at your disposal.
    Hate to shatter your illusion, but with the exception of the annual Viktor & Lydia workshop, very few of the dancers in my area can make it to the South Coast or London for workshops either.
    To be brutaly honest ... and I hope no-one form home reads this, I think the standard of the lasses in Scotland is well ahead of th standard in my area. I havn't really seen enough of the Scottish guys to comment, but outside teachers we've only probably got about 3 'advanced' men in the North West, if that.
    Dance for most is a hobby. ....They dance for themselves and so don't have that burning desire to see how they will be placed or wish to put themselves through the "trauma" of competing or as FC says end up spending hours disecting where they went wrong or which judge was biased in favour of someone else.
    Again, maybe a misconception. For my first competiton, Ceroc Intermediates in 99, I just grabbed one of the girls I used to dance with, had 2 dances with her at home then the next thing we were on the floor in London thinking "What the h*ll are we doing here?" We got through to the semis and I was on cloud 9 for a month or so.

Even last time (still only my 3rd competition, me and my partner only had chance to get 4 or 5 sessions in before the Blackpool Nationals .... and that was competing against some of the UK's best.

The point is that you don't need to do advanced courses and loads of self analysis ... just as well as I forgot nearly all the moves we had rehearsed! The MOST important thing is that you enjoy dancing with your partner ... that will get you miles further than any fancy moves preparation before the event.
    p.s. Have you found an insane Englishman for Mel yet?
    The search continues .... a few victims are on the selection list ... but can I be so evil to them?

Originally posted by Gus
    The serach continues .... a few victims are on the selection list ... but can I be so evil to them?
    i try not to use the term "victims" so often. I like to use "consenting adults" or "lambs to the slaughter"
    Franck ... remember I've met Filthy, Amanda, Linda, Sheena et al .... I'm just plain scared!
    don't you realise that w're emotionally and mentally scarred and in need of pyschiatric therapy for numerous years after meeting you???

filthycute x x

Originally posted by filthycute
    don't you realise that w're emotionally and mentally scarred and in need of pyschiatric therapy for numerous years after meeting you???
    OMG!!!!...that's like the kettle calling the pot black
    heheheehe

btw...well said Sheena

Fox

Originally posted by filthycute
    filthycute x x
    Cheers ... my dancing's that bad ... just cause I made Lynda think I was doing a drop when I in reality I'd judt blanked .... at least I caught her before she hit the deck!!

Does this mean I'm excused from dancing with you again?

So ... have you managed to co-erce any Scots into dancing with you in the Comp ... or to put it another way, are any Scots brave enough to partner you in the Champs ... there must be some volunteers.

Re: Re: Re: Well said.

Originally posted by Gus
    Does this mean I'm excused from dancing with you again?
    NO!!!! whatever gave you that mad idea???

So ... have you managed to co-erce any Scots into dancing with you in the Comp ... or to put it another way, are any Scots brave enough to partner you in the Champs ... there must be some volunteers.
    well i have advertised on the other thread but it looks like nobody matches the criteria.
    will wait till tonight then alter my demands

filthycute x x

Thread Information