Thread: Database error / timeout

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Database error / timeout

I am experiencing the odd error message and was wondering if many of you suffered from the same, in which case, I would take it up with my hosts.

Please let me know if and when you get an error, including details of what you were trying to do at the time.

Thanks in advance,

Franck.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Unhappy Lost message

Hi Frank,

Have just been on trying to post a new thread re last night's Aberdeen party.
    I had finished my blurb and when I went to preview it got the error message. I clicked the back button but now the message box is blank. No time to type it all agin, I'll try again later.

By the way, in case he doesn't get the chance to e-mail you, our newest member is also a Dundee taxi-dancer!

Blog Entries

Re: Lost message

Originally posted by Sheena
    Have just been on trying to post a new thread re last night's Aberdeen party.
    I had finished my blurb and when I went to preview it got the error message. I clicked the back button but now the message box is blank. No time to type it all agin, I'll try again later.
    Hi Sheena,

Sorry to hear about your lost message :sorry , I have had this happen to me once or twice, but so far, I have been able to go back a page and copy / paste the text of the message again.

It seems this is due to my hosting company, great for web delivery (ie speed) but it seems not so great for database applications... I am investigating a better host, who would be able to handle the forum more reliably.

Cheers,

Franck.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Is the forum a seperate issue to the site hosting ? I was wondering how much it cost to host a pre built forum like this (ive seen this one everywhere its very popular).

Blog Entries
    Hi fc,

Yes, the forum is a separate issue from the hosting. I pay a fee for hosting (not very expensive usually, especially if you use an American firm), and on top of that I purchased vBulletin, there are lots of free forums / Bulletin boards out there, but I found, that very few are reliable, and you end up losing a lot of credibility when you keep moving / losing posts...
    vBulletin, is AFAIK the best out there, mostly because of the brilliant support you get from the developers.
    To host vBulletin, you would need a host which offered PHP and an SQL database. After that, all you need to do, is spend an afternoon trying to install it, and then months tweaking it...

Cheers,

Franck.

Thread Information