Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abolish Road Fund Licence

Re: Re: Abolish Road Fund Licence

Originally posted by DangerousCurves
    This is a nice thought - and reminded me of one of my pet ideas...

I do appreciate that many who cycle don't have a lot of cash to spare - but after my friend's experience I would support compulsary insurance.

What do others think?

And yet another thread ! ! ! !

But I must agree. There should be some form of compulsory insurance for cyclists, and have seen just what DC is on about, mainly by youngsters, mainly at night, and often in town centres.

Another thought is that there is little or no noise from a bike, and unwary pedestrians can and often do, get run into.

Mind you, insured or not, the cyclist, if found the cause of an accident, could be seriously out of pocket.

Does anybody know, is the cyclist still allowed the obligatory 6 foot of "wobble" space? Apparently it "used" to be law.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Martin
    Road Tax is also a good way of checking people have insurance for thier car (if my memory of the system serves me well) as you have to show proof of up to date insurance to get your disc.
    Yeah, but your insurance could run out the next month, but as long as it's valid when you tax the car, you can tax it for a year.Same applies to the MOT certificate.

Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Yeah, but your insurance could run out the next month, but as long as it's valid when you tax the car, you can tax it for a year.Same applies to the MOT certificate.
    I suppose we could abolish the road fund licence, put that on petrol, but have a disc showing when our MOT or Insurance runs out.

Or, why not link the insurance to the MOT, so that you cannot get an insurance without a valid MOT cert, then you get an insurance disc for your window.

Just more thoughts, what are yours?

Originally posted by bobgadjet

Or, why not link the insurance to the MOT, so that you cannot get an insurance without a valid MOT cert, then you get an insurance disc for your window.

You then get very close to the Aussie system, you need a test certificate (if the car is 4 years old or over [ a pink slip], and insurance (third party for one year the insures "the car" for any driver) [a green slip]. Then you can register the car for the year, a tax to the govenment, which is displayed on the windscreen ($196).

If you sell the car, this all gets transfered to the new owner.

From your registration plate, all is linked on computer so police can check that all is in order.

On top of that I pay for fully comp insurance, which is again for the car - any driver, this is optional, but good for newer cars.

It is simple, the test certificate is logged on the internet by the garage, the rest can then all be done over the internet.

Originally posted by Martin

It is simple, the test certificate is logged on the internet by the garage, the rest can then all be done over the internet.

NAH !
    That wouldn't do for England mate.

Too easy and not enough jobs involved, not enough departments and probably too little paperwork.

Thread Information