Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outrageous BBC Bias

The best comedy I have seen in recent years is 'Still Game'.

For the record I think 'Only Fools' is the worst comedy ever

Stubob

I guess it does depend on your sense of humour – eg The Office – some people love it, laugh (and wince!) at it, others just think its stupid and don’t see the point. (Personally I like it and thought the Christmas final episodes were great). I don’t find Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie that funny, but clearly others do. I do like the surreal humour in Father Ted, and also enjoyed Faulty Towers (who didn’t?). Any sitcom, even if its not your favourite, will probably make you chuckle a bit. Anyone else start to laugh almost in anticipation when watching an old favourite?

Commercial Operator
    I think that it's pointless asking us dance addicts about TV programmes - I hardly ever see TV any more, and often it's to watch MJ videos. All we can give our opinion on is what was on TV before we got addicted, what's on late at night or what's on a Sunday afternoon.

They've been repeating Red Dwarf well after midnight so I've been watching many episodes for the first time - at least I've kicked the Robot Wars habit

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    All we can give our opinion on is what was on TV before we got addicted, what's on late at night or what's on a Sunday afternoon.
    Call yourself a dance "addict" and don't dance on a Sunday afternoon ?

Shame on you, what about The Royal Fest Hall then?

Originally posted by Lynn
    Anyone else start to laugh almost in anticipation when watching an old favourite?
    Depends what you call OLD favourites?

Hancocks half hour
    Up Pompii

I can't remember any others (or don't want to !)

Originally posted by bobgadjet
    Depends what you call OLD favourites?

Hancocks half hour
    Up Pompii

I can't remember any others (or don't want to !)
    Well Bobgadget, what's Up pompeii and who's half hour?

You must be waaaaayy older than me!

But of course age IS a state of mind, (until you really are old and decrepid) and if you are a Cerocer you must be young at heart eh?

Fruity

Originally posted by fruitcake
    Well Bobgadget, what's Up pompeii and who's half hour?

You must be waaaaayy older than me!

But of course age IS a state of mind, (until you really are old and decrepid) and if you are a Cerocer you must be young at heart eh?

Fruity
    As I posted before, I want to be a teenager when I grow up.

BTW I see you corrected my spelling of Up Pompeii, so at least you DID know what I was on about ! ! !

Originally posted by Chris
    The Office
    Groundbreaking because it took a new direction in comedy, very much geared to the times, and often unsettling rather than funny.
    That's the description I've been looking for! Somewhat akin to watching a film related to an experienced trauma and trying to view it as entertainment
    Originally posted by Martin
    Well Blackadder has to come fairly near the top for me...
    I'll go with that, only starting from the 2nd series, the 1st was a bit naff IMHO.

Slightly off tangent (well it is late ) ITV's old comedy 'Night Owls' always tickled my fancy as did Aussie's 'Let the Blood run cold', quite weird but strangly appealing.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Well, anyone who had any lingering faith in the taste of the Great British public, probably shouldn't look at the final result of this BBC poll.

The result's one of the biggest jokes linked to sitcom I've seen in a long time.

B.T.C.
    And ab Fab was at 17 ..way behind Vicar of Dibley????????

I've enjoyed Fools and Horses but for impact and originality I htink I'd give it to Blackadder..and as somebody mentioned - I think the closing scene from the last episode was one of the most powerful images from any TV programme for many years.

Love The Good LIfe when it was on and Yes Minister - some brilliant lines in both.

Well..........no accounting for taste eh.....

Well I wasn't going to admit to this, but I used to rather like the Good Life, and Blackadder Goes Forth (Fourth) has to be my favourite, and that final scene in the final ep. really pulls you up a bit sharp - OK, I cried!

And favourite sketch has to be "Got any 'ose" (2 Rons) - beats the Dead Parrot hands down I reckon.

M

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Mary
    Well I wasn't going to admit to this, but I used to rather like the Good Life, and Blackadder Goes Forth (Fourth) has to be my favourite, and that final scene in the final ep. really pulls you up a bit sharp - OK, I cried!

And favourite sketch has to be "Got any 'ose" (2 Rons) - beats the Dead Parrot hands down I reckon.

M
    Didn't cry ( well I am a boy !!!) but remember being stunned and just staring at thew screen for ages asfter the programme finished

also remember being at the Webley arena to see Yes ( I liked them for a wee while) and after the support ( Donovan) finished several folk staretd on the Parrot sketch when people started going off for ice creams ....... was funny for a few minutes but soon became tedious. Was a while ago and one of the first concerts I saw.

Originally posted by Bill
    Didn't cry ( well I am a boy !!!) but remember being stunned and just staring at thew screen for ages asfter the programme finished

also remember being at the Webley arena to see Yes ( I liked them for a wee while) and after the support ( Donovan) finished several folk staretd on the Parrot sketch when people started going off for ice creams ....... was funny for a few minutes but soon became tedious. Was a while ago and one of the first concerts I saw.
    OK Bill, how many glasses of wine?

End of Blackadder 4 has to be one of the most powerful moments in TV (or film maybe) - straight from comedy into reality (historically) in one fell swoop. Brilliant! (IMO that is).

M

I have to admit I think the results are probably what I expected as a true reflection of how things should be.

A lot of people say that Fools and Horses is not original anymore and 'dated' but considering the award is for the best sit-com 'of all time' I must agree.
    You only have to look at the viewing figures (which i guess correlates to the votes). Even the recent years' Xmas specials, although people didnt expect classics, still pulled in more than any other programme over xmas. In fact in 2002 it blew everything away if I remember rightly.
    There are some moments in fools and horses that even thinking about it make me giggle (groovy gang??)

I love blackadder. Fantastically written and I think the whole cast are absolutely brilliant comedy actors. Got to agree with that last scene 'fighting to flowers' was a classic. A deserved second place.
    Not too sure how the viewing figures for blackadder stacked up. Was it really really popular. Im guessing not as much so as Fools and Horses??

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Mary
    OK Bill, how many glasses of wine?

M
    was it that obvious..................... only just over half a bottle - under 3 glasses. Makes the reading of my notes much easier

Blog Entries
    I'm a Blackadder girl myself.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Divissima
    I'm a Blackadder girl myself.
    rather than a Del Boy or Rodney girl

I'd like to give an honourable mention...

to Old Harry's Game, a fabulous comedy on Radio 4, which is the only thing in recent years that made me laugh as hard as Fawlty Towers .

The latter remains the only sitcom around which I used to arrange my diary (even though I was just a teenager).

B.T.C.

Re: I'd like to give an honourable mention...

Originally posted by Barry Shnikov
    to Old Harry's Game, a fabulous comedy on Radio 4, which is the only thing in recent years that made me laugh as hard as Fawlty Towers .

The latter remains the only sitcom around which I used to arrange my diary (even though I was just a teenager).
    I loved Fawlty Towers when it was first shown but strangely I now find it more 'dated' than many of the older sit coms. Seeing some of the physical humour and 'accidents' appear to be a little contrived although the dialogue is still very funny.

What about sit coms/comedies form USA ???? Friends/Frazier/Cheers/Golden Girls/ Seinfled/ Larry Sadler/ Taxi/ Rosanne/Will & Grace etc...................

Re: Re: I'd like to give an honourable mention...

Originally posted by Bill
    some of the physical humour and 'accidents' appear to be a little contrived
    Oh, yeah, it's very slapstick. But if you look carefully it all stems from Basil's manic character and his inability to exercise self-restraint.

US sitcoms, yeah, but that's off-topic as far as the TV poll is concerned...

Thread Information