Thread: Alternative ways of leading moves.....

Alternative ways of leading moves.....

Following on from the Bognor weekend - I learnt a number of different and some very useful ways of leading moves.

1) Neckbreak : can be lead from a right to right handhold and taken to the neck. Thus eliminating the need for a bent arm and saying "how"

2) Open neckbreak can be lead with the standard neckbreak ( this is from Nigel) Left to right is necessary at start with the hand change but then tuen straight away. However again no need for the "How" signal

3) Basket instead of offering the hand at the start do the cross over and then take the hand on beat three when the man's left hand is taken over and pulled down.(Another Nigel tip)

4) Short Backhander British and Short backhander Australian style. John Sweeney explained this weekend the difference. With the UK version the man lunges around the lady getting down low and guiding the lady around the turn. With the Australian version (which I have also heard called a screwdriver lead and there is a seducer that comes from it as well ) the man gets out of the way and the lady does all the work and turns around. This is the one where the finger is pointed at the floor

These alternative leads are useful and certainly when you have been dancing a while quite stylish. Anybody else know of any others??

Re: Alternative ways of leading moves.....

Originally posted by Jon L
    Short Backhander British and Short backhander Australian style. John Sweeney explained this weekend the difference. With the UK version the man lunges around the lady getting down low and guiding the lady around the turn.
    The Aussies make this into quite a stylish move (see Simon de Lisle's videos) using the free hand extended up at an angle (which the lady can mirror) and as a signal. The Kiwis do it similarly, with much sharper timing than the UK version. Lots of different looks that can be created.

To create different leads I chop moves up and then reassemble them with different component parts. Eg a Go-cat combines half a First move (with a block) to lead into a Sway. Breaking them down even more you can take just the initial part of the First Move (for instance) and flick the lady's rt arm up to duck under into the Sway position, then flick her left arm up if you want to move to move back into First Move position. For things like a Basket you can use Merengue moves to discover endless ways of getting in and out of it. Dance enough Blues and you'll probably do it automatically - moves won't 'fit' every note, beat, counterpoint, word and melody within a particular song unless you finesse them with a scalpel

1) Neckbreak : can be lead from a right to right handhold and taken to the neck. Thus eliminating the need for a bent arm and saying "how"
    Hmmm, so if I get this right, it sounds like a "sway" (with a clockwise turn exit for the follower?) except the leader's right hand's on the follower's right shoulder, rather than on the follower's right waist? In that case I guess you could probably lead all your favourite sway variations just with your right hand higher -- well provided you don't garotte your partner

SpinDr.

4) Short Backhander British and Short backhander Australian style. John Sweeney explained this weekend the difference. With the UK version the man lunges around the lady getting down low and guiding the lady around the turn. With the Australian version (which I have also heard called a screwdriver lead and there is a seducer that comes from it as well ) the man gets out of the way and the lady does all the work and turns around. This is the one where the finger is pointed at the floor

The Aussie version may appear more stylish but cannot be led easily unless the girl knows the signal (traffic warden approach). Some Aussies do the "English style" if they have a beginner or want to freestyle without signals.
    Probably developed from Nicky's "hands on ladies" approach and Simon's "do as little as possible" approach IMHO (this is not a critisism)

A screwdriver is a totally different move, it is the same in Sydney as it is in the UK.

The Oracle

Re: Re: Alternative ways of leading moves.....

Originally posted by Martin
    Simon's "do as little as possible" approach
    Sounds like my type of dancing. It can be hard work at times figuring out just how little you can do.

Re: Re: Re: Alternative ways of leading moves.....

Originally posted by DavidB
    Sounds like my type of dancing. It can be hard work at times figuring out just how little you can do.
    Me too. The more hand movements I can cut out the better. Come to think of it, if my partner wants to take over the lead that's usually fine too...

I thought that this thread would be about methods of leading that were not hand to hand; ie shoulder, hips...
    Which is something I want to learn more of - the lead is given through contact and pressure, with visual 'footnotes'. It dosn't HAVE to be through the hand.
    Things like using the forearm to encourage a lady to exit from a basket. Using shoulder leads and catching wrists instead of hands... I'm sure that you must be able to dance without hand to hand contact; I think that it would be more of a problem finding a follower who I could 'connect' enough with to follow well.

Thoughts?

Here's the first couple of "alternate leads" I could think of:

Get the follower in a teapot position on your right side -- release your right hand -- so that the lady's arm is across your back. A subtle rotation of the shoulders clockwise will push against the lady's right arm, leading her to walk around you -- as you stay on the spot (optionally, with style ).

In a "man-sway" position, walk backwards, so that your back pushes against the lady's right arm to lead her to walk around in a clockwise circle with you.

-----------

Of course you *could* just block the follower's foot with your own, but don't trip them up!

SpinDr.

Following on from the Bognor weekend - I learnt a number of different and some very useful ways of leading moves.

Since Bognor I have tried this way of leading the neck break. Experienced dancers get it no problems, but beginners and some less experienced intermediates don't always follow the step back from the right hand - any advice (other than going back to saying "how" to them)??

The Oracle

Re: Re: Alternative ways of leading moves.....

any advice
    Try to get some part of your hand resting on the lady's shoulder. Then lead the step back with this part of the hand, and not the hand-to-hand contact.

I also try to get my forearm to make contact with the lady's back, and I keep this contact as I lead her back. It seems to reassure the lady that she isn't going to be spun, and just has to do a simple step back.

The final trick is not to completely stop the lady's momentum as she comes towards you. You slow her down as she turns, but let it flow into the step back. Whenever you stop the lady she will want to reverse direction and go back where she came from.

Thread Information