Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Phil "The Awesome Power" Taylor

Congratulations to Phil "The Awesome Power" Taylor

For those of you who don't have Sky, Phil "The Power" Taylor won the World Darts Championship today for a record 11th time. For those of you who aren't very aware of Darts, Phil Taylor is probably the most dominant figure not only in Darts, but in any sport in the world!

Darts also has THE best sports commentator in world sport in the form of Sid Waddell.

Quality.

Of course the real darts has started at Lake side

Final next Sunday I believe

Erm??? Lakeside? Also known as the Painters and Decorators championship!

Originally posted by Will
    Erm??? Lakeside? Also known as the Painters and Decorators championship!
    Lakeside more like the FA Cup with BBC coverage

Worldchamps on 'sky sports' more like micky mouse but we will pay you more so we will get the better players.

Hats of to Phil though a great achievement

Its a pitty we couldn't kept it all at lake side

Have to agree with you there.

Lakeside is by far the better venue and having it on BBC is a huge plus too.

It's a pity that they can't all mend the fences and reunite at Lakeside with perhaps Sky having the live coverage and BBC getting highlights. Of course, no darts is worth watching without Sid Waddell.

I live in hope that once Oli Croft (BDO emperasario) has gone (he is VERY old!), that some sort of reconcilliation may be possible. It would be great to have the big name players on terrestrial TV again.

Have to agree with you there.

It's a pity that they can't all mend the fences and reunite at Lakeside with perhaps Sky having the live coverage and BBC getting highlights. Of course, no darts is worth watching without Sid Waddell.

Agree

Old Sid 'He is throwing like a rocket thats on the far side of the moon and doesn't care'

An Eclectic Toaster
    Darts - my two favourite memories related to darts have nothing to do with any actual games....

1) That classic Top of the Pops moment with Dexy's Midnight Runners singing "Jackie Wilson Said" in front of a big picture of barrel-like Scots arrowman Jocky Wilson...

2) A Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch, where Smith and Jones in "fat man" suits, compete. Not by throwing darts, but by throwing down single heavies and triple vodkas, attempting to finish on a double whisky. Rowan Atkinson's running commentary was priceless (he was funny back then).

Originally posted by Stuart M
    :

A Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch, where Smith and Jones in "fat man" suits, compete. Not by throwing darts, but by throwing down single heavies and triple vodkas, attempting to finish on a double whisky. Rowan Atkinson's running commentary was priceless (he was funny back then).

I think it was this sketch that helped clean up darts image (well a bit anyway)

Good old Jocky Wilson not sure if you get the 'characters like that today'. Wonder what his view would have been on passive smoking ?Not sure is he dead now ??

Bring back Bill Wermeneq ? and Alex higgins

Quite simply Scotlands finest ever sportsman!

Originally posted by stewart38

Old Sid 'He is throwing like a rocket thats on the far side of the moon and doesn't care'
    Oh my god, I've got tears in my eyes and had to find some more quotes
    "His eyes are bulging like the belly of a hungry chaffinch"

Jockey Wilson, damn fine sportsman....been a while since I had the chance to watch the game....did John Lowe ever get the 9-darter...come to think of it, had it been done on the telly yet...and if so, can it be downloaded?

"You couldn't get more excitement in here if Elvis Presley walked in and ordered a bag of chips"

Originally posted by Boomer
    Jockey Wilson, damn fine sportsman....been a while since I had the chance to watch the game....did John Lowe ever get the 9-darter...come to think of it, had it been done on the telly yet...and if so, can it be downloaded?
    Wanna see a niner?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Stuart M

2) A Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch, where Smith and Jones in "fat man" suits, compete. Not by throwing darts, but by throwing down single heavies and triple vodkas, attempting to finish on a double whisky. Rowan Atkinson's running commentary was priceless (he was funny back then).
    I remember that sketch...and the scorer was shouting out the score in milligrams...........(180 milligrams)

I also remeber Peter Purves interviewing Jocky Wilson and asking him what he attributed to his upturn in form, and Jocky replying " It's because I'm staying off the vodkas, and only drinking pints Peter "....sportsman of the year or what

I think Tony Green at the Lakeside could challenge the mighty Sid Waddell to a quote standoff.
    Yesterday on the Tony O'Shea, Raymond Barneveld match, on Tony O'Shea (I think it was), he said...."Look at the flick on that limp wrist...where's me handbag"..... beat that 'Wadder's...

James......

"In the 4th Century, the great roman emporer Alexander cried salt tears because at the age of 35, he had taken over the entire world and there was no more land to conquor. Bristow is only 27!"

Game - Shot - and the match..... Sid Waddell

FYI

great news (for us 2 darts fans on this forum)

"Emotionally drained darts fans seen pouring out of the Lakeside Country Club at Frimley Green following the end of this year's Embassy World Darts Championship had their spirits lifted this week with the announcement that an old favourite will soon be returning to their screens in order to help them through the dark months until next year's tournament.

Bosses at the flagging ITV Digital service have revealed that the keystone to their Spring schedule will be the long-awaited return of the darts quiz Bullseye. Legendary host Jim Bowen has already been signed up to present the new series, along with sandpaper-tonsilled sidekick Tony Green. Green, who has just spent the last two weeks getting very excited at the sight of fat men throwing missiles by the side of a lake, is set to reprise his role as referee and general Master of Ceremonies. "We're pleased to be back" Green told us, "even though we're slightly limited in the prizes that will be on offer."

you can't beat a bit of bully

Originally posted by stewart38
    FYI

great news (for us 2 darts fans on this forum)

"Emotionally drained darts fans seen pouring out of the Lakeside Country Club at Frimley Green following the end of this year's Embassy World Darts Championship had their spirits lifted this week with the announcement that an old favourite will soon be returning to their screens in order to help them through the dark months until next year's tournament.

Bosses at the flagging ITV Digital service have revealed that the keystone to their Spring schedule will be the long-awaited return of the darts quiz Bullseye. Legendary host Jim Bowen has already been signed up to present the new series, along with sandpaper-tonsilled sidekick Tony Green. Green, who has just spent the last two weeks getting very excited at the sight of fat men throwing missiles by the side of a lake, is set to reprise his role as referee and general Master of Ceremonies. "We're pleased to be back" Green told us, "even though we're slightly limited in the prizes that will be on offer."

you can't beat a bit of bully
    CINTILLATING ARROWS!

"In the 4th Century, the great roman emporer Alexander cried salt tears because at the age of 35, he had taken over the entire world and there was no more land to conquor. Bristow is only 27!"

Game - Shot - and the match..... Sid Waddell
    ok, fair one. As quotes go the mighty Waddell has come out with the daddy....respect

James.

More Sid Waddell Quotes

A friend has just emailed me a more comprehensive list of Sid Waddel Darts Commentary Quotes which I have listed below (apologies for the ones that have already been posted)

"That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus."

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer. Bristow's only 27."

"It's the nearest thing to public execution this side of Saudi Arabia."

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone home."

"You couldn't get more excitement here if Elvis Presley walked in eating a chip sandwich!"

"He's playing out of his pie crust."

"He looks about as happy as a penguin in a microwave."

"He's been burning the midnight oil at both ends."

"Darts players are probably a lot fitter than most footballers in
    overall body strength."

"Trying to read Reyes's mind is like trying to read the mind of Jabba the Hutt"

"Keith Deller is like Long John Silver - he's badly in need of another leg."

"He looks as happy as a scorpion who's just had a pedicure!"

"Eyes like a pterodactyl....with contact lenses"

"He may practice 12 hours a day, but he's not shy of the burger van!"

"He's like Jack The Ripper on a Friday night."

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one on thin ice."

"Rod (Harrington) now looking like Kevin Costner when told the final cost of Waterworld."

"Tarantino re-writing Gunfight at the OK Corral couldn't have done any better than this."

"It's like Dracula getting out of his grave and asking for a few chips with his stake."

"That Lad could throw 180 standing one legged in a hammock."

"Big Cliff Lazarenko's idea of exercise is sitting in a room with the windows open taking the lid off something cool and fizzy."

"They've got Shakespeare on Radio 2 but you can't beat this for drama."

"Well as giraffes say, you don't get no leaves unless you stick your neck out."

"That's like giving Dracula the keys to the blood bank."

"As they say at the DHSS, we're getting the full benefit here."
    "He is as slick as minestrone soup."

"There hasn't been this much excitement since the Romans fed the Christians to the Lions."

"Phil Taylor's got the consistency of a planet ... and he's in a darts orbit!"

"The atmosphere is a cross between the Munich Beer Festival and the Coliseum when the Christians were on the menu."

"Jocky Wilson, he comes from the valleys and he's chuffing like a choo-choo train!"

"Steve Beaton, he's not Adonis, he's THE donis"

"The players are under so much duress, it's like duressic park out there!"

"He's like D'Artagnan at the scissor factory."

"This lad has more checkouts than Tescos."

Blog Entries
    one just can't help but read these almost outloud and in the voice!!!

I have to confess to having had a look of unsleptnessment many mornings just recently. It's fascinating to watch!!

I also like to see which wifie is sporting the most really really nasty "jewelry".

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chicklet

I also like to see which wifie is sporting the most really really nasty "jewelry".
    That'll be Bobby George then... ......oops, don't tell him I called him a wifie...i might end up at the bottom of the Thames attached to something heavy...like Bobby's "Gold" chain

Thread Information